Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timtambla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Hi guys,

ive been waiting for this 27 imac since March and finally its here!!

I really want to invest money on this machine and to max the potential.

I want this Imac for Premiere, After Effects and other Adobe Apps...

So what do you guys think?

How should i configure my new 27" Imac?

AzzUrr1

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
Karlsruhe
If money doesn't matter get everything maxed except the RAM because on the 27" you can upgrade it by yourself cheaper

timtambla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
If money doesn't matter get everything maxed except the RAM because on the 27" you can upgrade it by yourself cheaper

I mean, of course the money matters... but i can get it to 3K +/-.

I thought about:
3.4 I7
16GB
3TB Fusion
680MX

Do u think i can save money somehow? or this is the perfect Config' for me?:)

timtambla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
cut the ram and do a aftermarket upgrade yourself. that´ll save you 100 bucks.

The only problem is that i dont have any idea how to do thia upgrade myself...
The upgrade should be done by me? or in a private lab?

Actually im asking for the configuration help cause i dont really understand about all of it. I mean is there a real different between the 3.2 or 3.4 processors? Or between the 2 graphics?

Thanks for your help guys

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
really no offense, but a monkey could do the upgrade. it´s just getting the right memory (ask here), unscrew a panel and plug it in. reeeeally that simple.

If you don´t plan to run high-load-programmes (video editing, sound,) the i5 will be enough. If you want to play new games on high-quality settings, you gonna need the 680MX. Otherwise, the base model (w/ fusion) will be the right one for you. Tell us what you plan to use the iMac for ;)

timtambla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
really no offense, but a monkey could do the upgrade. it´s just getting the right memory (ask here), unscrew a panel and plug it in. reeeeally that simple.

If you don´t plan to run high-load-programmes (video editing, sound,) the i5 will be enough. If you want to play new games on high-quality settings, you gonna need the 680MX. Otherwise, the base model (w/ fusion) will be the right one for you. Tell us what you plan to use the iMac for ;)

As i said i plan to use it for Video and photo editing... actually for most of the Adobe Creative Suite :)

The 680MX could help me for my needs?

AzzUrr1

macrumors member
May 17, 2012
Karlsruhe
As i said i plan to use it for Video and photo editing... actually for most of the Adobe Creative Suite :)

The 680MX could help me for my needs?

I'm not sure if it helps with Adobe Products but if you max everything out except the RAM (You can upgrade by yourself it's really easy!) your price would be $2,749.00.

If you want to save some money I think you can take i5 processor because graphic cards matters more for graphical programms that you use

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I mean, of course the money matters... but i can get it to 3K +/-.

I thought about:
3.4 I7
16GB
3TB Fusion
680MX

Do u think i can save money somehow? or this is the perfect Config' for me?:)

If you wanna run windows via bootcamp you can't on the 3tb fusion, just a heads up.

and I agree with others, upgrade ram yourself, literally easiest thing on the planet to do.

6ftunder

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
Austria
Help me choose

Hello,

I was wondering if you guys could help me decide which 27" iMac configuration to get for my own needs. I don't want to start another thread. What I do is Photoshop, I retouch large RAW Images from my Canon 5D Mark III and other cameras. Since I am an architecture student, I will definitely be doing a lot of 3D modelling and rendering later on, and I will most definitely be making videos with my Canon and then edit them on the iMac, either in FCP or Adobe Premiere. So my question is mostly concerning the graphics card. I was planning on getting:

27" - i7, 1TB Fusion drive, Apple care. I'll add the RAM myself.

I now cannot decide whether or not to get the 680MX. How much can I actually benefit from it? My only fear is that it might produce a lot of heat which actually shouldn't be a problem since AppleCare is going to cover any damage that might happen, right? So, what do you think? Money isn't a problem but I don't want to invest in something if I cannot benefit from it and if I don't have to.

Thank you.

BasK

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
6ftunder, I hear everywhere the 680MX is a great upgrade for 150 dollar, so if you have the money, do it. Personally Im doubting between the 'base' 27" iMac and the High-end. I need it for serious photo editting and I work a lot with CS5/CS6, so I dont think I need the faster graphics. But I wonder does it make sense to buy high end 27" with 3.2Ghz i5 instead of the base with 2.9Ghz i5? Is there much of a difference between these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.