Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
PLEASE correct the article's headline: this is not only available in the US but many other countries (if not all with Apple Online Stores) - a quick check already confirmed that orders are also possible in Brazil and Switzerland.

joelhinch

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Can't believe i'm going to pay $300 (AU) ($250 US) for what is essentially a 128GB SSD... c'mon Apple..

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
27-inch iMac

I went with the astronomically priced 768 SSD no-nonsense approach as opposed to the experimental Fusion Drive solution since failure of SSD or HDD means total failure.

http://macperformanceguide.com/macmini2012-dual-drives-vs-fusion.html

Interesting article. I can't make up my mind... I have both SSD and HDD on my MBP and it FLIES! The idea that software will decide which files go where makes me nervous.

Do you think applications will always be loaded onto the SSD? What about Sound Libraries (eg. Logic, other music programs with large software instruments). I don't see how 128Gb is enough space???

Does anyone have any experience with using Fusion and Logic or similar?

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Can the hard drive be replaced by the user in the 27" model? If so, will it fit a standard 2.5" SSD from OWC? Or does it take a full 3.5" HD - assuming 3.5" given there's a 3TB option (which isn't available in a 2.5" yet) - which begs the question, how does one fit a 2.5" SSD from OWC into the 3.5" bay?

Scott

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
Totally agreed. They used to make great desktop computers... now, I dont understand apples thinking.

The new iMac's screen lamination and friction stir welding are seriously ambitious processes which have constrained initial availability. Therefore, Apple has limited the SSD storage option to just 768GB to give priority to more profitable configurations and to meet initial demand.

They did a similar thing last summer with the 15" Retina MacBook Pro, by limiting the 512GB and 768GB SSD options to the more expensive 2.6GHz model that starts at $2799. A few months later, Apple added more SSD capacities to the cheaper 2.3GHz which starts at $2199.

Once Apple overcomes the new iMac's production challenges, more SSD storage configurations should become available (ie, 256GB, 512GB, and 768GB, etc.).

Last edited:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Can the hard drive be replaced by the user in the 27" model? If so, will it fit a standard 2.5" SSD from OWC? Or does it take a full 3.5" HD - assuming 3.5" given there's a 3TB option (which isn't available in a 2.5" yet) - which begs the question, how does one fit a 2.5" SSD from OWC into the 3.5" bay?

Scott
If you don't know how to fit 2.5" SSD into 3.5" bay then you might not be ready to take your new iMac apart.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The new iMac's screen lamination and friction stir wielding are seriously ambitious processes which have constrained initial availability. Therefore, Apple has limited the SSD storage option to just 768GB to give priority to more profitable configurations and to meet initial demand.

They did a similar thing last summer with the 15" Retina MacBook Pro, by limiting the 512GB and 768GB SSD options to the more expensive 2.6GHz model that starts at $2799. A few months later, Apple added more SSD capacities to the cheaper 2.3GHz which starts at $2199.

Once the new Apple surpasses the new iMac's initial production challenges, there more SSD storage configurations should become available (ie, 256GB, 512GB, and 768GB, etc.).

We need dates and photos ChuckG ;)

KiwiPhoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Ordered New Zealand

Placed my order about 30 min ago!! Looks like most of the international stores opened up at the same time ... guess 1am Pacific Time maybe.

ordered
27-inch iMac
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
768GB Flash Storage
Magic Magic Mouse (as already have Trackpad )

Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Dec 21 - Dec 27

Also ordered AppleCare as its my first Mac and I'm sure I may need some phone support. Wow Photoshop is going to fly now. No more Dell crash for me!! :cool:

27-in deliveries still holding up

There must be more 27-in machines in the pipeline than I thought, delivery estimates are holding at 2-3 weeks whichever country I look at—UK, USA, France, Germany, Australia... But then, are these different pipelines? More likely one pipeline that gets the different keyboards/documentation added during distribution.

How many 21-in systems were delivered to each store? If it's an average of 15 of each 21-in model, that works out at 12,000 units worldwide. Taking 21- and 27-in systems together, Apple might well sell more iMacs today than Microsoft's Surface sales for the entire quarter.

If you live within easy access of a store, don't forget to order One to One support. You can add AppleCare later, but One to One has to be ordered with the system.

Last edited:

KiwiPhoto

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
There must be more 27-in machines in the pipeline than I thought, delivery estimates are holding at 2-3 weeks whichever country I look at.

But then, are these different pipelines? More likely one pipeline that gets the different keyboards/documentation added during distribution.

My thought is one of two supply chains. Either from local stock, or like my last iPad"3" and iPhone5 direct from factory in China.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Placed my order about 30 min ago!! Looks like most of the international stores opened up at the same time ... guess 1am Pacific Time maybe.

ordered
27-inch iMac
3.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
768GB Flash Storage
Magic Magic Mouse (as already have Trackpad )

Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers Dec 21 - Dec 27

Also ordered AppleCare as its my first Mac and I'm sure I may need some phone support. Wow Photoshop is going to fly now. No more Dell crash for me!! :cool:

once you go mac you never go back! (ewwww dell....)

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
yep 27", 3,4 i7 and 680 gtx? maby we'll have the same one ;) i hope for everyone that they can make it til the 27 of dez. cause everyone has vacation, can u imagine you play the whole vacation with your old rig an on the last day you get the new one but you have to go to work the next day? i wouldnt be so productive the next day ;)

This is exactly how i feel. It would suck to get it in the last day of the vacation... But I still want it, no matter when it arrives. :D We have the same setup, but I put a 1TB Fusion Drive in as well. :)

Deanobear

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting article. I can't make up my mind... I have both SSD and HDD on my MBP and it FLIES! The idea that software will decide which files go where makes me nervous.

Do you think applications will always be loaded onto the SSD? What about Sound Libraries (eg. Logic, other music programs with large software instruments). I don't see how 128Gb is enough space???

Does anyone have any experience with using Fusion and Logic or similar?

Sit back, relax and enjoy - 128gb is more than enough for booting, loading and unloading of files, if it works as said, it should be completely transparent to the user, except for quicker file access etc. I'll know soon enough LOL ;)

rmaunruh

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Wewt!! Ordering mine now.

27" with 3.4 GHz Core i7 and 728 GB SSD. Will use my external thunderbolt for more storage and buy aftermarket RAM.

Anyone know why you can't get a fusion drive with the 728 GB SSD and 3 TB HDD. Would work much better for me (yes, I would use most of that storage).

You can't get that high with fusion because the SSDs used are the blade type like in the MacBook Air. That's also one of the reasons the SSDs are more expensive, they are not the standard 2.5" drives.

Just ordered my 27" iMac an hour and a half ago here in Korea.
i7, 1 TB fusion, 8 GB ram, GTX 680MX 2 GB, and of course the plug in keyboard because I love the number pad. ETD Dec. 21st.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Sit back, relax and enjoy - 128gb is more than enough for booting, loading and unloading of files, if it works as said, it should be completely transparent to the user, except for quicker file access etc. I'll know soon enough LOL ;)

relax :confused: i can't sleep when a new apple product comes out, especially when i'm planning to buy it!

and you are right 128Gb is enough "if it works as said".... i have 120Gb in my MBP and it is perfect

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
AUD$3157 with 8GB of ram. Oh sheeee

----------

Wewt!! Ordering mine now.

27" with 3.4 GHz Core i7 and 728 GB SSD. Will use my external thunderbolt for more storage and buy aftermarket RAM.

Anyone know why you can't get a fusion drive with the 728 GB SSD and 3 TB HDD. Would work much better for me (yes, I would use most of that storage).

because it would stop you from upgrading too soon :p

----------

Got mine high end 27 inch iMac max out except for ram you'd be a fool to buy ram from apple. Couldn't be happier. Tears of joy been waiting since April without a computer just an iPad as my main machine. Yayyyy

I have been waiting since March and now I can't afford it lmao

----------

Just ordered... will upgrade RAM myself.

AU$ 3,068.99
27" iMac
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
3TB Fusion Drive

Ships: 2 - 3 Weeks
Delivers 20/12/2012 - 24/12/2012
(Melbourne, Australia)

you risking no Apple care?

Torrijos

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
BTO are quite steep :(

I'm seriously considering a Hackintosh now, since they seem to be working pretty well nowadays. Damn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.