Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
This is my first Mac so bare with me. I am wanting to do a fresh install of mountain lion to completely erase any programs and traces the previous user may have left, that is format the existing Macintosh HD partition and do a new Mountain Lion install.

I presume I am eligible to get the install file for free since this machine comes factory loaded with Mountain Lion anywhere right ? But when I log into the app store it's still showing as an item I have to pay for. What exactly is my copy of Mountain Lion tied to, is it the first account that was created on this machine and used to log into the app store or the product serial number ?

Thanks..

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Anyone ? Dang a woman can gestate a fully grown baby by the time one can get answer for a trivial question on a Mac forum.

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe.....

I am missing something or just being plain ignorant about how App Store works, but always had believed the software bought is linked to your ID. So, I cant get how that can be linked to a specific piece of hardware:(

:):apple:

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I am missing something or just being plain ignorant about how App Store works, but always had believed the software bought is linked to your ID. So, I cant get how that can be linked to a specific piece of hardware:(

:):apple:

Ok, so it must be:

Someoe buys Macbook with Mountain Lion OS installed.

Macbook boots for first time and asks to create account, this account
is then tied to the eligibility to download Mountain lion for free.

If this person then sells their MacBook to someone else and erases their
account and signs out of the store then the new user will have to create
a new store account and buy the OS again! :( Here's hoping there is a serial\license
or something issued that is tied to the device like with Windows OEM copies and not
to some user profile/account.

axi0m

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
reboot machine while holding cmd-R.

Cheers, so recovery will download the install files and re-install mountain lion.
Any way for me to slip in the install file on USB or at least keep it after the re-install is complete as I am not too keen on re-downloading it again being on a mobile broadband plan.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Cheers, so recovery will download the install files and re-install mountain lion.
Any way for me to slip in the install file on USB or at least keep it after the re-install is complete as I am not too keen on re-downloading it again being on a mobile broadband plan.

Well you could just torrent it.. but some people frown on that. We all know you have a legit excuse to have Mountain Lion though (came installed on your computer).

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011

Afraid not. It basically downloads and installs in-place. But if your machine came with ML, you can always recover this way. Even if you lose or replace your drive, a retina macbook pro will download and boot from ML off the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.