Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doc shivers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Would this be possible? I think it would be pretty cool, you could have different ***** running on each screen, and have the phone detect which side you were using. Seems like the back of the phone is wasting hella space atm, why hasn't apple thought of this yet?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
This is stupid IMO. One screen is enough. Two screens was cool for a flip phone (one on inside one on outside). I don't see a point in this.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Too funky, but one of those screens where I can see clearly outside in full sunlight would be good.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
If Steve Jobs wasn't rolling in his grave we probably would already have this.

Really? Highly doubt it.

What makes you think that a screen on the front and back would ever be considered?

It's so random and useless. Ive seen this on some new netbooks/computers, but on a small handheld phone?

Now, what would be cool is a phone with a screen on the front and back that unfolds to create a huge screen... now that's an idea.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Actually might be a good idea. Could be surfin the net on one side, texting on the other. Or playing a game on one, side, texting on the other, and so on. Could see this coming to an android first. Will the consumer go for it? Don't know but usually somebody like HTC will try it.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Actually might be a good idea. Could be surfin the net on one side, texting on the other. Or playing a game on one, side, texting on the other, and so on. Could see this coming to an android first. Will the consumer go for it? Don't know but usually somebody like HTC will try it.

So instead of the phones natural ability to multi-task, YOU would rather do the multi-tasking by flipping your phone around?

Great, now people who drive and text will have another thing to distract them because they will now be physically flipping their phones over to check the other app that is running.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A

I doubt he'd go for something this tacky. This would also reduce Apple's margins since they'd have to pay for 2 screens for 1 device. And can you imagine the amount of complaints if 1 screen gets a scratch or both shatter? Not to mention battery life.

I can't see a use for this :confused:

doc shivers

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
No, they could just raise the price of the phone, hell i'd pay for it. Right now the whole back side is being wasted.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
I hesitate to say this because I once said I didn't understand why you'd want your music player combined with your phone, but I don't understand the need or purpose.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I think the God or whatever should put eyes on your ass, so that your back side is not wasted. :p

So how can you going to hold your phone? Okay, you can say the phone will disable the "back screen" when you're holding it normally... but then what's the point of having the second screen.

full of fail.

S

syd430

Not to mention battery life.

I think the idea is that the screen that you are not currently using automatically deactivates, similar to how a proximity sensor automatically deactivates the screen when you hold it near your face.

If one screen is always disabled at any given time, and they are sharing the same processing power, how would this use any more battery?

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Would this be possible? I think it would be pretty cool, you could have different ***** running on each screen, and have the phone detect which side you were using. Seems like the back of the phone is wasting hella space atm, why hasn't apple thought of this yet?

No.

Because Apple doesn't like creating gimmicky, overly complex and completely useless things like that. The less bells and whistles attached to the device, the better.

Why haven't people figured this out by now?

ClubDownforce

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Iowa
Beyonce_Branded_Mobile_Phone_from_Sprint_1.jpg

Die.

S

syd430

No.

The less bells and whistles attached to the device, the better.

Why haven't people figured this out by now?

Right because the original iPhone had less bells and whistles than all the other smartphones at the time.

Yeah that Nokia N95 was sporting a capacitive touch screen and full mobile browser, yet the iphone came along with a more simplified WAP browser :rolleyes:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008

If he was alive he'd be belittling you for the idea. The only way this would be at all appealing is to have a Vita type setup with a multi-touch backing on the device. Two screens are beyond useless as, as others have said, you can only view one at a time.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
why hasn't apple thought of this yet?
Why do you think they didn't? Thinking of an idea and considering it worth pursuing are two entirely different things.

What do you guys think about a phone with screens on both sides?
Sounds like a waste to me. Other than being "cool" what would be the use? How would one use screens on both sides at the same time?

Right now the whole back side is being wasted.
How would a screen make it not wasted? A person can still only view one side at a time. A second screen that adds significant cost to the device and can't be seen or used while the other screen is being used would be a waste.

hell i'd pay for it
That's great. One sale isn't a justification for a mass produced product. What percentage of the market would buy it? That's why Apple hasn't done so.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Uses for a second screen on the back :

1) Present an image of you being interested in the person you're with, while you're busy using your phone on a date ;)

2) Put LCD/OLED on the main side, and e-Ink on the other. Use the first side for normal usage, and the low power e-Ink display for reading books etc.

3) Wrap the entire phone in Samsung's curved AMOLED displays. Change the entire color / background / animation of the phone body itself to fit your mood. Something like this early 2007 Nokia video at the 1:04 mark ...

Dual screen concepts pop up all the time.

Attachments

• nokia_aeon.png
    nokia_aeon.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 2008_plica_dual_screen.png
    2008_plica_dual_screen.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.