Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has updated Photoshop Touch for the iPad, adding pressure-sensitive stylus support as well as a slight redesign for the iPad mini. The app also has new support for sharing to social sites and a few other miscellaneous things.

NewImage36.png
Pressure-sensitive stylus support for iPad

We added support for three of the most popular pressure-sensitive styli in this version of Photoshop Touch: the Pogo Connect, Jot Touch and JaJa Stylus. Using the special capabilities of these devices, users can draw, paint and retouch their work in Photoshop Touch with a more natural look and feel. At this time, these styli support iOS only. We've also improved our brushing engine to make smoother strokes with or without a special stylus.
Adobe Photoshop Touch is available on the App Store for $9.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Adds Stylus Support to Photoshop Touch for iPad

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is not on the front page, but Will.i.am's piece 'O crap is?? :confused:

To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... it’s not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I was about to say, stylus support?! But now I've read it's the pressure sensitivity, I get it. I personally didn't even realize it didn't have it to begin with. :eek:

Nice addition though! Adobe and Autodesk are doing amazingly well with their tablet apps, especially for their stuff being so complicated and robust.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
To be fair, while this update is neat, and some professionals will appreciate it (a costly Wacom Cintiq just got less tempting!)... it’s not really something that changes my life.

The Will.i.am contraption, on the other hand, has made me decide to dig a deep hole and crawl to the bottom of it.

I don't blame you. Walking around with that ugly bling contraption is like asking to be shot at. You're wise to duck and run.

I'd really like to give those iPad styli a test run to see how well they work.
Anyone tried the photoshop touch yet?

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore

For many, many years I've enjoyed your comments on this site -- and this one may be the best yet. :D

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
What I would like next is that the iOS app interfaces with the Mac Applications of Photoshop and Illustrator so that I can use the iPad/iPodt as a drawing tablet with my Mac. Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.

purely a matter of your opinion. most ipad users are not power users and thus dont care about the things youve said. my dad included. thats who "computing for the rest of us" is geared to.

sometimes you need a truck. and for that you should get a truck.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
What I would like next is that the iOS app interfaces with the Mac Applications of Photoshop and Illustrator so that I can use the iPad/iPodt as a drawing tablet with my Mac. Frankly the iOS is a crippled operating system since it doesn't let me work my way with my data. Instead of being data centric (what matters) it is instead App centric which is insane. My data is my work. The Apps are just tools. By making the iOS App centric Apple gets in my way of doing real work and makes the iOS devices into games and toys when they could be so much more.

Yep. The biggest thing missing from the iPad is a unified file system. It's crazy that every app developer has to use the Dropbox API for example to sync data, there's already a Dropbox app, let everyone hook into it. Devs having to constantly reinvent the wheel is taking them away from adding extra features to their apps.

That "Open in" crap is such a half-arsed measure to try and combat this glaring omission.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
purely a matter of your opinion. most ipad users are not power users and thus dont care about the things youve said. my dad included. thats who "computing for the rest of us" is geared to.

sometimes you need a truck. and for that you should get a truck.

Source?

I'm sure there are plenty of power users who use an iPad and really iOS limits you.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I'd love to be able to do real Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects work with my iPad. Second screen style software doesn't cut it. Real support, or a way to make it into a Wacom style input device would be ideal, but doubt it's coming anytime soon...

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Yep. The biggest thing missing from the iPad is a unified file system. It's crazy that every app developer has to use the Dropbox API for example to sync data, there's already a Dropbox app, let everyone hook into it. Devs having to constantly reinvent the wheel is taking them away from adding extra features to their apps.

That "Open in" crap is such a half-arsed measure to try and combat this glaring omission.

Here's a question related to iCloud / Dropbox:
There's a Universal App for iOS called "iA Writer" that is a basic note taking app that claims to have iCloud auto-sync. A basic test seems to work really well and rather simply/effortlessly.

How does (do you think) this app manage to sync with all your iOS devices via iCloud (at least according to their claims)?

I've spoken with a couple other note app developers, and they keep saying that they are "looking into it" or "have plans to include it in future updates", but never do.

Either iA Writer found a good way of adding iCloud auto-sync support and the other developers are smoking something, or there is a reason nobody can do this yet, and iA Writer is lying (and using some other method). Which is it?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
There's a Universal App for iOS called "iA Writer" that is a basic note taking app that claims to have iCloud auto-sync. A basic test seems to work really well and rather simply/effortlessly.

How does (do you think) this app manage to sync with all your iOS devices via iCloud (at least according to their claims)?

I've spoken with a couple other note app developers, and they keep saying that they are "looking into it" or "have plans to include it in future updates", but never do.

Either iA Writer found a good way of adding iCloud auto-sync support and the other developers are smoking something, or there is a reason nobody can do this yet, and iA Writer is lying (and using some other method). Which is it?
iCloud lets you sync data with the same app on different Apple devices. If you want to access that data in another app and/or on non-apple device then it is useless. Hence the continued preference towards Dropbox.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

They aren't really the same thing. The ipad version is quite limited in what it can handle, and you have nowhere near the same amount of drawing space. I don't see the two as being really comparable. What I like about the idea of drawing on an ipad is that getting away from the desk feels a little less restrictive when it comes to rough concepting. With something like that, the resolution limits wouldn't bother me so much. Otherwise there's no way I'm pushing 10k files through photoshop touch, and the ipad wouldn't support other software I'd need anyway. I avoided the cintiq due to the combination of price and quality control complaints. I've noticed Wacom go downhill on a hardware level over the past few years, so I really don't want to see how their most expensive options hold up. It's not like I never upgrade. I just have to stagger things at times, so having a $2500 item break at the wrong time would be annoying.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012

There are note apps that work the same way that use Dropbox rather than iCloud. The problem is if you want to edit a note in Notesy and then maybe in Textastic each app has to sync a copy of that file. Whether you use iCloud or Dropbox or Google Docs you will end up trying to maintain separate local copies of a document rather than one copy that all apps have access too. Painful for the user and wasteful on disk space.

----------

iCloud lets you sync data with the same app on different Apple devices. If you want to access that data in another app and/or on non-apple device then it is useless. Hence the continued preference towards Dropbox.

Also Apple don't have a great track record for online services. I'm extremely hesitant to move across to iCloud for that reason.

coldmack

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2008
So their iPad version gets pressure support, while the Galaxy 10.1 Note(wacom), and Thinkpad Tablet(N-Trig) don't have it? Adobe does know Wacom and N-Trig are 1 and 2 in this space, and not offering it leave the void open for another developer to try to capitalize from it. I have a few drawing and note taking apps that full utilize the digital pen on my Thinkpad and it is really nice, something my first gen iPad was sorely missing.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Recently bought a Bamboo. I'm lovin' it. App is a good second though.

Nothing like a Wacom on a 27" :)

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
So their iPad version gets pressure support, while the Galaxy 10.1 Note(wacom), and Thinkpad Tablet(N-Trig) don't have it? Adobe does know Wacom and N-Trig are 1 and 2 in this space, and not offering it leave the void open for another developer to try to capitalize from it. I have a few drawing and note taking apps that full utilize the digital pen on my Thinkpad and it is really nice, something my first gen iPad was sorely missing.

I have the Galaxy Note 10.1 (should I duck and hide?) and I can tell you it comes bundled with PS Touch and that the PS Touch already has pressure sensitivity support. ;) Plus it's more accurate with the built in digitizer.

I do wish though that they could offer an option (I'd gladly pay more for it too) that would allow the tablet (iPad or Android) to hook up with a computer Photoshop (wirelessly or via USB) and effectively turn the tablet into a mini Cintiq or even an Intuos/Bamboo.

But I don't think they'd do that since that would just cannibalize the tablets Wacom and others make. I read some stuff about people who looked into accessing the Wacom Digitizer on the Note to essentially turn the Note into a graphic tablet... but it appears there's a lot of technological hinderances (if you're really interested in why, read from post #14 here). That being said, the last post on that thread links to an app that seems to do just that on a different tablet... so the potential/promise is there to bring the feature to iPad or other tablets.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.