Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is completely personal preference. I hate the track pad so no to me its not worth it. To others they love it over the mouse.

Only you can truely determine whether it will work for you. Do you like using a Laptop's trackpad over the mouse? If so then yeah buy it, if not stick with the mouse

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I debated on whether to get it. Is it worth it? Better than a mouse?

I prefer the trackpad and use a wacom tablet for photoshop stuff. I find it hard when I go back to the pc with my standard mouse! I didn't like the magic mouse that much.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I ordered the trackpad. My primary computer for the last 9 years has been a laptop (ok really longer than that, but I got a iMac 11 years ago when my wife took my Pismo for daily use in law school). I prefer the trackpad for most things, but have a few mice around for when I need them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is completely personal preference. I hate the track pad so no to me its not worth it. To others they love it over the mouse.

Only you can truely determine whether it will work for you. Do you like using a Laptop's trackpad over the mouse? If so then yeah buy it, if not stick with the mouse

I agree. I tried the MTP on two occasions. I bought one during the Snow Leopard Days and didn't care for it, sold it and moved on. Then when Lion came out, I bought another one hoping for a renewed desire to get used to it, but I just couldn't and sold that one too.

I work better with a mouse.

But, it's totally user preference whether one likes it or not.

Donza

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2006
Finland
Ordered mine with Trackpad mainly because Apple's Magic Mouse is pretty much useless to me.

However Magic Trackpad feels quite comfortable in gesture driven Mountain Lion, and I definitely plan to use it for casual stuff like browsing etc. For Photoshop, video editing and gaming I anyway plan to buy mouse separately.

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
you can have both attached to the computer at the same time right.

I see using the mouse most of the time, except for photos and zooming in on the web etc...

but I don't want to have to unplug and plug one in etc.

RedSunshine

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
you can have both attached to the computer at the same time right.

I see using the mouse most of the time, except for photos and zooming in on the web etc...

but I don't want to have to unplug and plug one in etc.

They are both wireless. You can have both of them synced at the same time.

I had both but if I had to pick one, it would be the mouse. Some of the more repetitive actions that you do on a mouse are more comfortable because you can rest your whole hand on the mouse, whereas on a trackpad, there is a bit more strain on your hand. At least, this is my experience.

My kids seemed to like the trackpad better.

I recommend both.

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
Ordered mine with Trackpad mainly because Apple's Magic Mouse is pretty much useless to me.

However Magic Trackpad feels quite comfortable in gesture driven Mountain Lion, and I definitely plan to use it for casual stuff like browsing etc. For Photoshop, video editing and gaming I anyway plan to buy mouse separately.

I did the same. I hate the magic mouse as much as I've hated every Apple mouse since the hockey puck that came with the old iMacs of yore. I use a logitech performance mx on one side, trackpad on the other. I'll actually just sell the trackpad as I just bought one about 8 months ago to use on my current iMac.

Between the mouse with 7 buttons, the trackpad and the leap motion I preordered in May, I shouldn't be short on input options... now if only I could afford a Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch :D

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have both right now. I mainly use the trackpad, but sometimes need a mouse for scroll bars. I also have a Bluetooth PC gaming mouse, which I hope will still work with the new iMac.

I ordered the trackpad and will just put it up for sale on Ebay or something.

sukai

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I ordered the touchpad since i have gotten used to it, not sure how it will feel when using it on an iMac though. I do have a computer mouse if the touch doesn't work.

It all comes down to personal preference like everyone says, and maybe which one might be more better for certain tasks.

squan

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2006
I'm gonna get the trackpad because I will use a seperate mouse for video-editing, photoshop and gaming.

The trackpad seems like the nicer option to, because it will allow me to control my iMac better from my bed. :)

pedromartins

Suspended
Sep 7, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Trackpads all the way.

Apple trackpads totally surpassed every single mouse in speed, functionality, comfort, etc. (OS gestures, Safari gestures, etc)

HOWEVER, some programs where pixel-like precision matters are better for mouses (photoshop, fps games, you know how it is).

But if you bought a new mac with ML, buy a trackpad quickly. Those that are saying for you to not buy it, are just like those that preferred the keyboard and command line to mouse and modern GUI.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
Trackpad FTW!! The easy use of multitouch easily makes it significantly more useful than the mouse.

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I just love the trackpad. At first I got the not-that-magic mouse, it sucked...hard to hold in the hand, picky when it comes to table surface....

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I have both and although I prefer the trackpad for general use, it's not great for Photoshop/Illustrator. It also leads to some wrist strain for heavy prolonged use.

The mouse is better for prolonged use and for precision required in Photoshop/Illustrator... but I don't like it for general web browsing, etc.

I'm hoping Apple finally gets it right with their next mouse. Honestly most of their mice recently are pretty bad. If it weren't for the bluetooth and nice integration with the iMac, I'd probably use a Logitech mouse instead.

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I absolutley hate the magic mouse - it's so bad it's ridiculous. In my opinion that is.

I ordered the track pad for the new 27" and I'm using a wacom stylus and intuos 5 more than the mouse anyway and l've got a gaming mouse (zowie mico) for gaming.

Last edited:

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
The Trackpad is a much better option than the Magic Mouse. I own both, and the Mouse has been collecting dust ever since I picked up the Trackpad.

I use a Wacom Tablet most of the time so I use the Trackpad for gestures, I love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.