Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Hi, I am looking at the NEC's MultiSync PA271W LCD and a Mac Mini. Main use will be digital photography. Currently I have a Spyder3 Elite Calibrator. I am wondering if the Spyder3 would be a good calibrator for the NEC monitor or would the NEC SpectraViewII Color Calibration Solution be a better option?

Thanks,

1badhabit

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
Hey HantaYo,

While I don't have any experience with the Spyder calibration tools, I do own the NEC PA271W-BK-SV that came with the SVII Colorimeter and Software. I highly recommend you spend the little bit extra and buy the kit. While the NEC can be calibrated with any calibrator, you will not get nearly the same results as you would get with THEIR software. Their monitors are built around their tools, as would most things in life. The only downfall is, the software and colorimeter can only be used with that monitor. But, since you already have the Spyder, it doesn't really matter.

Hope this helps,
Regards

mgrayson

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
The NEC software works with other colorimeters and spectrophotometers. You might be able to get away with just buying the SpectraViewII software, which is around $100, and then use your existing Spyder3. Check the NEC website for compatibility.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
B & H has a great deal for the NEC so I took a bite and snagged one. Almost went with a refurbished one they have with the calibrator but it was more than the new one with the 4 year warranty. The refurbed one only has a 30 day warranty. We will see how the Spyder 3 works on the NEC. In a few months I might go with the NEC calibrator.

Thanks!

doherrick

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
SpectraView with 10,7.5 and 10.8

FYI, from NEC:

Important compatibility notice:

Due to issues with the new Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and the recent update to Mac OS 10.7.5, SpectraView II is not able to communicate with the displays on some systems with Nvidia based video chipsets when connected to the DVI inputs on a display. This includes both Thunderbolt (miniDisplayPort) video outputs when using a miniDisplayPort to DVI cable, and DVI to DVI connections. This impacts all MultiSync 80 series, MultiSync 90 series, and the MultiSync P221W models. NEC is currently working with Apple to resolve this issue, which is expected to be fixed in future updates to Mac OS.

The NEC MultiSync PA series and newer MultiSync P series models can utilize a USB connection to the display if necessary.

Customers with impacted systems currently using OS 10.7.4 or earlier are encouraged not to update to OS 10.7.5, or OS 10.8 at this point.

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I saw that warning on the NEC website as well. I'll probably run naked till this gets resolved or try the Spyder III. Seems like Apple's OS is always having display issues.

Thanks!

Photoshopper

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Idaho
HantaYo--

How's that NEC working out for you? I saw the B&H price (great! minus the Spectraview) and am really tempted myself.

I have the current Mac Pro and I'm a little concerned from some of the warnings I've seen (computer/display not sleeping).

Anyone using this on a new Mac Pro with Mountain Lion? Would appreciate any feedback!

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I have not received the NEC and still need to order the Mini. I did noticed B & H went up on the price and they are back ordered. When I talked to customer service it sounded like the NEC would be sent today.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
HantaYo--

How's that NEC working out for you? I saw the B&H price (great! minus the Spectraview) and am really tempted myself.

I have the current Mac Pro and I'm a little concerned from some of the warnings I've seen (computer/display not sleeping).

Anyone using this on a new Mac Pro with Mountain Lion? Would appreciate any feedback!

Past experience says NEC is never completely bug free, but they're really the best by far in that price range. The only comparable alternatives cost significantly more. I have a semi-retired old one here, and I haven't used it under Mountain Lion.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Put the screen on its AdobeRGB preset, set OSX to AdobeRGB, turn on ambient light sensor (or both to sRGB if it is too saturated for you) and leave the Spectraview in the box.
If you don't like how NEC put it up in the factory after one month, try to do it better yourself, but it will be a real pain with a much more fault-sensitive workflow. With the latest and awesome displays from Eizo and Nec, I stopped calibrating and life became much easier.

One example:
the screen has a 14-bit 3D lut. If you know what is capable with that, you DON'T WANT YOUR VIDEOCARD to mess with anything (8-bit 2D lut with banding if you set it on anything but its standard curves).

2 problems with non-calibrating (non issues though)
- My whitepoint can go afloat over time. It is 6500 out the box, but the screen can get a little more magenta or yellow over time as the backlight ages. Your eyes will compensate for it. It is way LESS colorshift than a normal day will bring through your windows. Even in a TL-lit room with daylight tubes, the variation of the tubes is similar to the screen. Are you calibrating your tubes?
- The visibility of shadow details might not be perfect. If you work in a dark room, with fixed lights, you can get a better result on your gamma-curve with a meter. If your light varies throughout the day, as in a random room with a window, the built in ambient light sensor will deliver better work than the fixed result your meter will deliver for just the light condition at the moment of measurement.

Last edited:

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Put the screen on its AdobeRGB preset, set OSX to AdobeRGB, turn on ambient light sensor (or both to sRGB if it is too saturated for you) and leave the Spectraview in the box.
If you don't like how NEC put it up in the factory after one month, try to do it better yourself, but it will be a real pain with a much more fault-sensitive workflow. With the latest and awesome displays from Eizo and Nec, I stopped calibrating and life became much easier.

I was wondering about not calibrating:cool: I'll hold off on the Spectraview for now. I am in a room with a south window so light is variable- especially in winter. No other place to put the computer.

Motagaly

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Spyder 4 yes, but not Spyder 3.

Actually it works with Spyder 3, I Have Macbook pro early 2011 with OSX mountain lion 10.8 and the NEC PA271w is working perfectly with spider 3 inside spectraview II software (the old and recently updated version as well) and calibration is done regularly every 14 days.

Monitor connected to MacBookPro via original NEC mini-displayport to displayport. and recently I got the Belkin thunderbolt express dock and the monitor is connected to the Belkin express dock, while the dock is connected to the macbook pro via Apple original thunderbolt cable with Zero issues.

please post any question regarding this setup if you want more information.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.