Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
What is the point in making it so thin?

Especially when you sacrifice a lot of usable features to do it?

Last edited:

unclejuicyjoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Looks cheap

I've been a big iMac fan for many years, imo they are one of the best computers made pound for pound.

The new iMack looks cheap. They mess up big time imo with this design.

UNMENINU

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
So they don't change the design just the box?

My first reaction. Man that box is ugly. I am looking forward to some benchmarks though. Maybe a demo? My only worry is that the iMac has been renovated in quite some time. If you look at previous iMacs, Apple was changing the design completely. That seems to be a thing of the past.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
Short, sweet and to the point. Sites like the Verge should hire this guy.

That is the slickest unboxing video I have ever seen (to be fair, I do not watch a lot of them, they get old pretty fast)

I did find it funny that despite how well done this video was, they still used a large kitchen knife to cut a little bit of tape on the box. What is it about these videos, no one has a little Swiss army knife or small blade of some kind? Do you need a machete to open an iPhone box?:rolleyes:

quickmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2011
What kind of useless questions are these? Sure I'll have a stab at being on the opposite end then:

Does anyone use the Super Drive? No.
Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes
Did Apple add any new features? Fusion Drive
Can you install more than 16GB of ram? Yes.
Does it perform better? Yes. Fusion Drive + Ivy Bridge + 1536 CUDA cores GFX + 32GB ram + less reflection on the display

I think you're a bit mistaken. I'll help you out a bit on those first two:

Does anyone use the Super Drive aka CD/DVD drive? Yes. People do still use them. Removing them on laptops as Apple keeps doing is one thing to reduce weight, removing them from a desktop is pointless. Having one in a desktop does not hinder use of the desktop, removing it from a desktop limits what the desktop can do.

Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes it does. But again it's another irrelevant design reason. The iMac is a stationary desktop. Mac Pros weigh nearly 50 lbs in some cases. There's no need for an ultra portable desktop. That's why we have laptops and tablets. Bragging that the super drive removal saves weight on a laptop is great design, on a desktop it's pointless. Also a super drive doesn't weight 8 lbs, more like a 1lb.

There was no reason to remove the Super Drive on a desktop computer at this point in time. Yes we may overall use them less, but still it wasn't a critical design reason that prompted the removal, it was Apple's bizarre obsession with thin electronics. And thin for a desktop doesn't mean much.

----------

What is the point in making it so thin?

Especially when you sacrifice a lot of usable features to do it?

Form over function.

Looks over use.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Intel Processor made in Costa Rica! yeah my country :)

113016.png

unclejuicyjoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Pointless...

"thin" on one leading edge is pointless and the lack of optical drive just makes its footprint even larger if you had to purchase one.... pointless

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Apple's insistence on making imacs $1200 "disposable" appliances is really making my choices difficult. Get what I can afford in a case much better designed for usability and suffer with an inferior OS or overpay for sealed hardware that limits choice and usability for the sake of a better OS. I honestly don't know which way I'll go when my current system becomes unusably outdated.

This may explain why Apple's losing the 'going green' status. A lot of their products are uni-body in design that are disposable, one has to wonder if they're being forward thinking or not. How can one be green and yet go with a disposable unibody design that prevents tampering or physically upgrading a system? iMacs (or laptops) are the only devices that allow RAM upgrades.

iPads should NOT be disposable unibody devices but future proofed with SSD slots or some form of RAM compartment where one could upgrade it. They're wasting so much money on disposable concepts that one has to wonder if they're encouraging landfills to increase, or do they truly have an actual program to bring in all of their products for recycling without ever going to a landfill?

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Gotta love the new iMac design.

Does it make the iMac less tall? No. (Limited by the screen height)
Does it make the iMac less wide? No. (Limited by the screen width)
Does it improve the iMac depth wise? No. (Limited by the stand)

Does it improve thermals? No. (Slightly less heat dissipated in a lot less volume)

Did Apple take away features? Yes. (Super Drive replaced with an internal plastic wedge).

Way to innovate, Apple. :rolleyes:

But it’s thinner! … Well at least the edge is thinner. :rolleyes:

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
So the memory IS loaded into slots in the 21.5"

I wonder if Apple's claim that it can't be upgraded after purchase is just the difficulty in opening the unit?

Have to wait to iFixit posts a detailed teardown to see how hard it is to open.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
The thing is damn sexy. It's the natural evolution of the computer, Apple is just doing it first. Watch 10 years from now, maybe 15, towers will be extremely rare thing.

Pilgrim1099

Suspended
Apr 30, 2008
From the Midwest to the Northeast
Form over function.

Looks over use.

I also have to question whether the new iMac's thin design prevents over-heating or if it has a heat sink. My current iMac has a heat sink on the back due to the hard-drive.

If they truly removed the hard-drive, then there would'nt be a heat sink, otherwise it could still get warm from the monitor? They could have created a simple heat-sink grill similar to the iPad's bottom part but in one strip across the back.

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
Looks pretty nice to me

but

What kind of monster uses their mouse on the left hand side. I mean, seriously. I'm super left handed and I can't even imagine doing that.

I am right handed and use the mouse with the left.
It is called "optimal resource allocation" (I type with the right AND I can move the mouse). Same reason why you are left handed and use the mouse with the right, I guess.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
2 questions on 27 inch:

1. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M with 512MB

Im not a gamer (well maybe I play but very rarely) or work on hardcore video edition... I work on photoshop and fireworks... so 512 is enough? :confused:

2. Fusion Drive bla bla...
Flash is more faster right? so I can open and insert a sansung 256gb ($180 or around) Im good with 256gb...

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
The thing is damn sexy. It's the natural evolution of the computer, Apple is just doing it first. Watch 10 years from now, maybe 15, towers will be extremely rare thing.

I don't find it so sexy. The design is retro (tapering), which is a matter of taste, of course. Apple is going through cycles of designs: remember the imac with the dome? (curvy and retro). Then the imac in a parallelepiped (white/alu) and now back to curvy design.
In a few years they will go back to straight lines (thinning it out, of course).

It is just a cycle, pure fashion (not a bad thing per se, just the way market goes).

----------

I think you're a bit mistaken. I'll help you out a bit on those first two:

Does anyone use the Super Drive aka CD/DVD drive? Yes. People do still use them. Removing them on laptops as Apple keeps doing is one thing to reduce weight, removing them from a desktop is pointless. Having one in a desktop does not hinder use of the desktop, removing it from a desktop limits what the desktop can do.

Does removing the Super Drive allow the iMac to be eight pounds lighter? Yes it does. But again it's another irrelevant design reason. The iMac is a stationary desktop. Mac Pros weigh nearly 50 lbs in some cases. There's no need for an ultra portable desktop. That's why we have laptops and tablets. Bragging that the super drive removal saves weight on a laptop is great design, on a desktop it's pointless. Also a super drive doesn't weight 8 lbs, more like a 1lb.

There was no reason to remove the Super Drive on a desktop computer at this point in time. Yes we may overall use them less, but still it wasn't a critical design reason that prompted the removal, it was Apple's bizarre obsession with thin electronics. And thin for a desktop doesn't mean much.

----------

Form over function.

Looks over use.

AMEN.
I could not agree more.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

It's not so much the relatively flat all-in-one look vs the appearance of a tower. It's about user accessibility to components that commonly fail or benefit from upgraded capacity. Apple could have put the HD and RAM in an area with access panels on the back.

My current imac came with 4 GB RAM because that is what I could afford at the time (Apple's RAM pricing is ridiculous). I'm about to buy more RAM to fill the 2 empty slots that are accessible. With this new design, I'd be SoL.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
All the whinny people on this forum are a disappointment to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

----------

Is you lack of English the reason you sound like a whinny, spoiled brat? But, hey, cool story bro.

No he made a solid argument based on facts and some fairly common opinions. You on the other hand seem to have a raging case of fanboyism. Careful that **** is contagious...

Just because some people realize Apple were more concerned with aesthetics then they were with functionality and would have liked more features other than "looks good" doesn't mean they are whining.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
All the whinny people on this forum are a disappointment to me. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

----------

Is you lack of English the reason you sound like a whinny, spoiled brat? But, hey, cool story bro.

Awesome response to his argument, 'brah'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.