Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following word earlier this week that the iPhone 5 had received final certification in China, Apple today announced that it will be bringing not only the iPhone 5 but also the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad to the country over the next several weeks.
Apple today announced the Wi-Fi versions of iPad mini and fourth generation iPad with Retina display will be available in China on Friday, December 7, and iPhone 5 will be available on Friday, December 14. iPad mini and the new fourth generation iPad with Retina display are currently available in 42 countries, and iPhone 5 is available in 47 countries, including the US, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan and the UK.
ipad_mini_china.jpg

China now accounts for 15% of Apple's revenues, making the new product launches a significant development for the company. Apple's Chinese product launches have typically lagged well behind those in other countries, but the company has been working to shorten those gaps. The iPhone 4S launched in China three months after the device's debut, while the third-generation iPad took four months to arrive in the country.

With today's announcement, the iPhone 5 will be arriving in China roughly two and a half months after the initial round of launches, while the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad are coming to China just a month after their debut in the U.S. and other first-round markets.

Article Link: Apple Announces December Launches for iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and Fourth-Generation iPad in China

izyreal

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
USA
I hope this means that the supply chains for these devices are rock solid now.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Low stocks or no stocks. Hard to find anywhere. Long waits for buyers in countries where it's already officially launched...

Let's immediately launch into one of the most populous countries in the world.

Nothing against China but you would think they would want to be able to somewhat keep pace with orders in the markets where it's already launched before going into other HUGE markets and further frustrating more people with longer wait times.

(and yes, I know all about the positive business effect of scarcity marketing).

Now crank up those wait times even more while chunks of production are further split among new markets.

KirkL

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
United States
Low stocks or no stocks. Hard to find anywhere. Long waits for buyers in countries where it's already officially launched...

Nothing against China but you would think they would want to be able to somewhat keep pace with orders in the markets where it's already launched before going into other HUGE markets and further frustrating more people with longer wait times.

Now crank up those wait times even more while chunks of production are further split among new markets.

Looks like they've caught up with demand if the US is any indication (and with the US contributing to something like 30% of all iPhone sales, I'd say it probably is...).

And just because China is the most populous country doesn't mean the 1.3+ billion population will line up to buy the phone.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Looks like they've caught up with demand if the US is any indication (and with the US contributing to something like 30% of all iPhone sales, I'd say it probably is...).

And just because China is the most populous country doesn't mean the 1.3+ billion population will line up to buy the phone.

Don't need many to line up to be a lot when the overall pool is that large.

And I'm not seeing U.S. demand "catch up" for products like iPad Mini. I just ordered one a few days ago and found it was out of stock almost everywhere. Still showing "2 weeks" (shipping) in the Apple store.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

If you happened to live in China, would you feel the same do you think?

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011

This mode of thinking makes no sense, and is typical entitled-like thinking here in the USA...

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
They can't even keep up with demand in the Western world and already decide to launch it in China... GREED.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

Well said, Apple products are high end luxury in China where the vast majority of the population could not dream of buying any of them.

----------

They can't even keep up with demand in the Western world and already decide to launch it in China... GREED.

Are you serious? :confused:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This mode of thinking makes no sense, and is typical entitled-like thinking here in the USA...

If you happened to live in China, would you feel the same do you think?

I explicitly said, "nothing against China." I wasn't making a "fair" argument. If we want to make "that's not fair" arguments, then Apple should launch to every country in the world on the same day and we can all enjoy 20+ week wait times together. Would we like that?

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Never learned to wait for non essential things for life?

Geez! Let's go postal!

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Who cares? Where are the iMacs and iTunes 11?!

Oh wait...we did that already...

:cool:

----------

Actually, with Apple now offering an unlocked iPhone 5, I think that pretty much says they're catching up with demand and feel they're able to produce enough.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

No, it's called "Backorder Syndrome". Many companies gage their success on the size of their back orders. And wanting to make more money is not considered greed, unless you consider wanting to make more money for what you do as greed.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Chinese characters are "Part, Part, inch, inch". I guess it is Apples way of saying Mini.
It is a translation of "Every inch an iPad"

分 "fen" is a traditional Chinese length measurement unit
寸 "cun" is longer than 分, which is similar to an "inch" in imperial units.

"fen fen cun cun" means "Every fen and cun" ~"Every inch"

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
It's funny to hear about Apple products "arriving" in China, since most of us are waiting for them to leave there when we track our packages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.