Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Used my mini for the first time on the train into work today. Our trains are always packed so I generally have to stand.

MUCH better form factor and usability that my IPad 3 - really enjoyed using it, versus the size and weight of the larger iPad.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I know it's fine. I love it! I use it 90% when I'm home. If rather have a lightweight device that doesn't run hot. I don't thjnk it's possible with the current technology to have it the same size and weight and temperature.

What the heck is going on? I seen the screen and what's the big deal about it? It's fine! The detail in the ipad mini screen equates to the display on a regular computer monitor. Oh my god!

Seriously? Is this what apple customers have come to? Are you seriously that picky, where if you see a pixel, you go on like a screaming red-in-the-face crybaby about it? My god.

Ok so its not retina, but its regular!

The way some of you guys clamor on about it....

...you seriously need to take a look at your lives. Seriously, I feel bad for you guys. You are the guys that are bringing the Apple name down. Just a whiny, spoiled, generation of adult babies. My..God...

----------

The fact that seems to elude all the whiners here is that there isn't a retina iPad mini. There is no choice if you want the smaller iPad. People act like Apple is deliberately doing this, the reality is that the technology to do this doesn't exist yet.

So, yes, I love the iPad mini display because it allows such a light device.

This! Agreed man.

----------

i've determined that people just want something to complain about. if the screen had retina....they would find something else to complain about then too.

Exactly. "It's too heavy, it's too hot, it doesn't make my coffee."

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I got a white iPad mini, didn't like the display and returned it. Got a Nexus 7. Good display, but too small and Android. Got another mini, black this time, and found the display OK and sold my iPad 3. Anyway, I like the black one better and it also has AT&T. In the end, after experimenting a lot, I decided the weight and size of the Mini make it more usable than the big, heavy, clunky iPad. The screen isn't as good, but it's adequate. Not even sure if I will get an iPad mini retina when (and if) it appears if it's heavier. The size of the Mini is amazing -- it's even lighter than the Nexus 7. As for the speed of the Mini, I think since it has 1/4 the number of pixels of the iPad 3/4, it doesn't need as powerful a processor.

Wow, yeah the larger iPad is such a clunky piece of garbage now.....please. They are both amazing form factors and the fact that the new iPad is housing insanely powerful chips inside something that thin and yes, LIGHT, its amazing too. All of the sudden everyones hands can't handle 1.4 pounds?

The iPad mini is also amazing in its own right but could never be as powerful as the iPad 4 or have a retina display without making it thicker and yes, heavier.

Just getting sick of the whining about how (not) heavy the full size iPad is. There are always tradeoffs.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
That's precisely the point. If you are dissatisfied with a product then it makes no sense for you to own it. It's as simple as that. Saying "it should be better" without any knowledge of the business decisions involved is fairly juvenile.

I agree, the OP should have had as much tact.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
nexus products are heavily subsidized by Google. As can be seen by the cost of the nexus 4 in countries that don't have access to the play store.

The race to the bottom helps no one and will end up killing innovation and quality. Consumers may love it now but they will end up the losers in the end.

LG's pricing is their own will. I live in a country where the Play Store doesn't manage the sale of hardware, and the Nexus 4 will cost almost twice the Google price, yet the 7 is sold at exactly the same price as the Play Store in any common computer shop.

It's the reason because of which I'm importing the 4 from the UK and I wish LG dies a slow and gruesome death.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
All of the sudden everyones hands can't handle 1.4 pounds?

Its the difference between a textbook and a paperback novel. And on some ways--the ipad does seem clunky next to mini. Soon the ipad will shed some bezel fat and get near to a pound, and order will be restored to the universe

Also, the idea that people return so many products is strange to me. I try to make my buying decisions final because I hate waste--wasting Apples time and money "restocking", wasting my time and money mailing, etc.

Last edited:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
LG's pricing is their own will. I live in a country where the Play Store doesn't manage the sale of hardware, and the Nexus 4 will cost almost twice the Google price, yet the 7 is sold at exactly the same price as the Play Store in any common computer shop.

It's the reason because of which I'm importing the 4 from the UK and I wish LG dies a slow and gruesome death.

The price is skewy in the UK, too. If you can get the base 8GB model from the Play Store then you pay £239. Get it without a contract from the one carrier that has stock, O2, then the price goes up to £399.

Good luck trying to find one, by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.