Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I have a mint condition 16GB 1st generation iPad for sale. Since it cannot be upgraded to iOS6, I would like some advice regarding how long its useful life is likely to be. I don't want to mislead potential buyers nor sell something that will be dead in the water within the next year. I sold an iPhone 3GS last December and at that time I was satisfied that it would be suitable for at least a couple of years.

For example, I have a potential buyer who wants an iPad for her son (I don't know how old he is because I haven't had an opportunity to ask). I want to be sure that he will be able to use it for a reasonable period of time.

80sarcades

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
I have one that I still use for browsing, typing, etc. As long as nothing goes wrong (hardware or software) it should be quite usable for some time.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Thanks very much for your opinion. That is what I think but I wanted to see if I was missing anything...

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Thanks very much for your opinion. That is what I think but I wanted to see if I was missing anything...

The time will come when the user is no longer able to load new apps nor updates to apps, but the apps that are already on the device will continue to work.

I would just give the buyer the heads up that they should download apps sooner rather than later. The buyer will likely NOT be an Apple fanatic or even a techie, so you may want to offer them a list of essential apps that are iPad 1 compatible. That way, they aren't freaking out that Infinity Blade XVII won't run on it.

Titus

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2009
How much are you going to ask? I have a 64G 1st generation in perfect condition and was thinking of putting it on e-bay. I also have an 8G iPod touch that's three years old and a locked (I guess) iPhone 4G. I'd like to sell them all because I rarely use them.

My first-generation iPad has many apps on it that run smoothly and update constantly. I'm sure with the right price point, this will remain a useful device for a few years.

Is there a market for an AT&T iPhone 4G?

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Limited to iOS 5? What's the limitation? All reviews on the App Store state what iOS system is required.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
How much are you going to ask?

I'm asking $275 due to its condition and the included accessories: Belkin padded case, Macally case that protects the edge/back and a PowerSupport anti-glare film. The iPad has worn the film and Macally case since I removed it from its box, so it is cosmetically in mint condition.

----------

Limited to iOS 5? What's the limitation? All reviews on the App Store state what iOS system is required.

The 1st generation iPad cannot be updated to iOS 6.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm asking $275 due to its condition and the included accessories: Belkin padded case, Macally case that protects the edge/back and a PowerSupport anti-glare film. The iPad has worn the film and Macally case since I removed it from its box, so it is cosmetically in mint condition.

----------

The 1st generation iPad cannot be updated to iOS 6.

Honestly, that price seems a tad high to me. New or refurbished iPad 2s can be had for that and they are a much better overall device and are still supported for the most part by iOS updates. You can ask that much but be prepared for lower offers. IMO. It's only 16GB too which is another hindrance.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Honestly, that price seems a tad high to me. New or refurbished iPad 2s can be had for that and they are a much better overall device and are still supported for the most part by iOS updates. You can ask that much but be prepared for lower offers. IMO. It's only 16GB too which is another hindrance.

You're referring to an almost 3 year old post. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.