Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
If Apple priced its cables reasonably all these third party efforts wouldn't be produced.

Last edited:

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I Have a Question , Please !

Will these cables allow direct transfer of data ( .txt / .jpg / .pdf and so on ) ,
to the iPad`s App that will accept those files , or do you still have to go through iTunes?

I am thinking about buying an iPad ( 4th gen. ) but have read that ALL data must be synced though iTunes.

To me , anyway , that seems like a long way around for what should be a simple task.

All replies and help is { are } appreciated , TY > in advance !! :)

Gary 

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Seriously? $29 for a 10' cable?? Give me a break. This is a needed length and charging an extra $10 for a couple of feet is just goofy. Sorry Griffen, love the black but won't be buying your cables. Just grabbed a Media Bridge 10' black USB extension and use the stock cable (a longer and more flexible solution) for now until you folks get a clue on pricing for this stuff.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Doesn't this thing have a crypto chip on it?
I'm going to laugh when apple changes something to render these cables worthless.

/b

Wow. Someone still clinging to the myth that the cable has crypto hardware in it. The chip was identified a few weeks ago. It has error correction hardware, and a few K of ROM. The most likely use of that ROM is for a device identifier that will allow the phone to identify the class of device the connector is attached to, thus letting it determine the pin-out configuration it needs to use on its end. (And that assumes that it's not an active negotiation scheme.)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I know the cable business a bit, those 8 feet of cable would probably cost an extra 20 cents and for the manufacturing process it takes maybe a few seconds more to make, whether it's 1 foot or several, total cost makes it only 20-30 cents more expensive.

So with markup it should really only be a few dollars more - But I guess that's what it's about in business: Making things seem like they should be expensive when they shouldn't. Take phone companies: Why does it cost me tonnes extra to make a call overseas on my landline, when on Skype it costs the same amount of money to call someone anywhere in the world? We've been bullied into thinking it costs more money to call someone overseas than it does within the nation, when it straight up doesn't.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So with markup it should really only be a few dollars more - But I guess that's what it's about in business: Making things seem like they should be expensive when they shouldn't. Take phone companies: Why does it cost me tonnes extra to make a call overseas on my landline, when on Skype it costs the same amount of money to call someone anywhere in the world? We've been bullied into thinking it costs more money to call someone overseas than it does within the nation, when it straight up doesn't.

Overpriced stuff, I can give you a few more examples.

What about, batteries, shaving gear(blades), Petrol (In Europe), Internet in the States (and Mobile Services), and so on.

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
Finally a black cable! I can use that in my car, instead of the white Apple ones which are equivalent to putting a sign on the car that says "Break into me, there might be expensive iDevices in me!"

Apple should sell black charge cables for this reason!

Yeah, I have been waiting for a black cable for the same reason! I don't even need it for data transfer, just charging. I use bluetooth to connect to my car stereo.
I wish Apple shipped black cables with the black iPhones.

----------

Wow. Someone still clinging to the myth that the cable has crypto hardware in it. The chip was identified a few weeks ago. It has error correction hardware, and a few K of ROM. The most likely use of that ROM is for a device identifier that will allow the phone to identify the class of device the connector is attached to, thus letting it determine the pin-out configuration it needs to use on its end. (And that assumes that it's not an active negotiation scheme.)

You don't believe in the dynamically changing pins?

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Griffin makes high quality cables, better than OEM Apple ones. I have several of the 3M 30-pin versions, and they are tough and very handy to have around the house and especially while travelling.

I tried to order a few of the new Lightning versions today, but the Griffin website keeps crashing at the last step of the order process. FYI coupon code THANKS20 gets you 20% off and shipping >$30 is free.

Yeah, they're pricey, but the 3M and coiled options are better than what Apple has. I'm not trusting my devices to some no-name China knock-off that will probably fry my device or fail.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.