Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

champagnepapi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I use a passcode and the data stored in iTunes don't show up on an unauthorized computer, which is good. But the Camera Roll folder shows up even though I have a passcode.

Is there a way to prevent the photos from showing up when connecting the iPhone to a computer?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I use a passcode and the data stored in iTunes don't show up on an unauthorized computer, which is good. But the Camera Roll folder shows up even though I have a passcode.

Is there a way to prevent the photos from showing up when connecting the iPhone to a computer?

This really makes me want to see your pictures. Must be some interesting stuff in there.

champagnepapi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
It's nudes of my girlfriend. I'm not uploading them here and I don't like the thought of someone who steals or find my phone will have access to these pictures.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
Get an app that stores your photos securely. Personally I use VideoSafe. But there are dozens out there. My photos are secure regardless of what happens to my phone. Well, they're not ultra protected. But they are from a casual observer. Better than the camera roll at any rate.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Or.....now this may be way too logical. Don't take nude pictures of your girlfriend on something that is connected to hackable networks. Start using a point and shoot with a memory card if you so need to take pics.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
Or.....now this may be way too logical. Don't take nude pictures of your girlfriend on something that is connected to hackable networks. Start using a point and shoot with a memory card if you so need to take pics.

Memory cards can be lost/stolen too. Do it old school and use a Polaroid Instamatic (or whatever that blasted thing was called). Then the only thing that exists is a hard copy of the pics (pardon the pun). Otherwise you're taking a huge risk that SOMEDAY, SOMEONE may get those pics. Our privacy is so precarious nowadays (i.e. ubiquitous social media, et al.) that it's a good bet that if anyone ever gets those pics (theft, hacking, etc.) they will end up plastered on the interwebz.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Why keep them on your phone? If it were me, I'd get them off the phone and move them to my computer in a hidden folder.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010

Yes there is. The level of security you need depends on how big her boobs are. We'll need to see the pics to help you further. God damn I'm lonely....

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I use Documents Pro.

The camera roll is just a really bad idea for this. Even if you could solve this particular issue (which you can't) there are so many other apps that can tap into the camera roll that you're pretty much inviting yourself to make a mistake some day.

Take them and then move them to a secure app and erase them from the camera roll.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Hopefully you have iCloud photo sync disabled or your photos are on Apple's servers.

And if you ever lose your iPhone or someone borrows it, they can just plug it into a computer and access all the photos with a photo transfer application bypassing the pass code. I personally would avoid taking photos that you wouldn't want to be made public. And your girlfriend must have a lot of trust because one bad breakup could mean her nude photos all over the internet.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
upload them to dropbox.. delete photos from camera roll.. boom wont show up on the computer and you can still shake hands with ben franklin (almost heroes anyone?! )

champagnepapi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
Get an app that stores your photos securely. Personally I use VideoSafe. But there are dozens out there. My photos are secure regardless of what happens to my phone. Well, they're not ultra protected. But they are from a casual observer. Better than the camera roll at any rate.

I use Documents Pro.

The camera roll is just a really bad idea for this. Even if you could solve this particular issue (which you can't) there are so many other apps that can tap into the camera roll that you're pretty much inviting yourself to make a mistake some day.

Take them and then move them to a secure app and erase them from the camera roll.

I was hoping there was another solution than using an app to do this. I think this is a big security breach from Apple. It's not only nudes, it's pictures of my family, my nephews and nieces etc.

Yes there is. The level of security you need depends on how big her boobs are. We'll need to see the pics to help you further. God damn I'm lonely....

I feel for you, here's a picture of my ex girlfriend's ass. She sent me this about a year ago after having a tattoo done on her ass. I didn't like it so I ended it with her. She's wearing underwear so I guess it's SFW.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2n6ub1j.jpg

Hopefully you have iCloud photo sync disabled or your photos are on Apple's servers.

And if you ever lose your iPhone or someone borrows it, they can just plug it into a computer and access all the photos with a photo transfer application bypassing the pass code. I personally would avoid taking photos that you wouldn't want to be made public. And your girlfriend must have a lot of trust because one bad breakup could mean her nude photos all over the internet.

Yes of course I have photo sync disabled. You'd be surprised by the things I've convinced my girlfriends to do over the years. And of course I do save the pictures and videos on my computer in a hidden folder. But sometimes I don't have the time to do that so I just keep them on my phone. I know I'll regret it if I someday lose my phone but I'll blame that on Apple.

I think all the tight young bodies of my girlfriends will be something to look back at when I'm 60 and won't even be able to get it up. Maybe even something to show the grandkids :)

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I vote that we all refuse to help him unless he posts some pics. All in favour?

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Hahahahaha oh god

Its almost as good as a home danger fap, where you shout down to your mum to ask her to make and bring you up a cup of tea...... You've got about 3-4 mins in which to do the business, otherwise your mum will get a hell of a shock :D

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
@OP: I know that taking such pictures is a sort of bonding thing, but if I were you I would destroy the pictures. Once they get out into the digital Wild West, chances are you'll regret having taken them. Even if you manage to keep them private, imagine the damage to the sanity of your future offspring were they to find them. :eek:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I was hoping there was another solution than using an app to do this.

You don't believe in "there's an app for that???" :eek: Don't let Apple find out. They'll take your phone back.

I admit that moving photos TO an app and then erasing them from the roll is a pain. Here's a better idea. Use Camera Awesome to take and store the photos. Then there's no second step. Just take the photos and you're done.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I know what kinds of photos
If-you-know-what-I-mean-mr-bean-meme.jpg

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
@OP: I know that taking such pictures is a sort of bonding thing, but if I were you I would destroy the pictures. Once they get out into the digital Wild West, chances are you'll regret having taken them. Even if you manage to keep them private, imagine the damage to the sanity of your future offspring were they to find them. :eek:

Second this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.