Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It's obvious Apple is working on a solution as they are firing people over the Maps. Every time my wife has used the maps, it's never gave us the wrong information.

Can't you use the google web based maps?

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause arguments.

The problem is not limited to directions/turn by turn via the Maps app...the maps data is linked to all other integrated apps like Facebook, reminders, etc.

That's his biggest issue outside of the general maps issues in his area....they have worked pretty damn flawlessly for me.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Then get a new phone.

The guy above gave you options and yet you chose not to listen.

I'm sure a Cydia app will come out that will let you decide Apple Maps or Google Maps. Just like the Cydia app that allows me to use Google Voice instead of Siri.
I have too much invested in the apple ecosystem to switch to Android easily. Does that I mean I shouldn't voice my disapproval when I feel apple have totally (and unnecessarily) ballsed something up? I've spent thousands of pounds on apple products. I (perhaps stupidly) believd their "it just works" tag line. Because now it just doesn't.

They've made mistakes before, but normally when genuinely trying to improve things. This time they've taken a great feature and replaced it with an awful one because of corporate tactics, not out of concern for me as a customer.

It's pretty ******.

That said, Cook has restored a lot of faith. He's held his hands up and admitted it's been a complete cock up. He's moved quickly to remove those who were responsible (and who it seems couldn't even bring themselves to apologise). I don't doubt that they are working hard to improve thing, and I'm sure the jailbreak community will indeed find a way to fix what was unnecessarily broken.

But don't act like people who are annoyed don't have a reason to be or to express it.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's obvious Apple is working on a solution as they are firing people over the Maps.

Not particularily.

Fixing the maps (even given timescales of years) is going to require billions of dollars of investment, and recruitment of tens of thousands of extra staff.

There's no sign of those happening.

----------

Google Maps has been around for 7 years what do you expect?

If I try to build a microprocessor now I've not been doing it nearly as long as Intel. I'd probably have to do valves. It would maybe do 20 - 30 calculations a second!

Would it be acceptable for me to switch the processor in your Macbook to that, after all, I'm just starting!

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Not particularily.

Fixing the maps (even given timescales of years) is going to require billions of dollars of investment, and recruitment of tens of thousands of extra staff.

There's no sign of those happening.

Sure, probably trillions :rolleyes:

They need to buy some new satellite images, but fixed most already.

They need to buy different road data for some countries.

They need to get better/more POIs in some countries, maybe looking for different partners and of course developing an infrastructure for user changes. Neither costs billions or needs thousands of people.

They "need to" expand flyover coverage, which is already happening at an impressive rate. Will cost quite some money but saves them spending billions on a copy of streetview (which will not happen in Apple Maps).

They need to fix some bugs in the software, mostly the search. TBT is pretty flawless if the data is correct.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
They need to get better/more POIs in some countries, maybe looking for different partners and of course developing an infrastructure for user changes. Neither costs billions or needs thousands of people.

Yes it does.

Good databases of this material to buy don't exist. You either need to merge dozens together (massively manually intensive task - Google have 7,000 people doing it and they already have a much better database to start with, are able to use street view data to check and have the advantage the businesses submit listings to Google anyway), or collect the data yourself.

Nokia have spent nearly $10 billion on their mapping effort, and it's not as good as Google's, and they've had several years to do it.

----------

They "need to" expand flyover coverage, which is already happening at an impressive rate. Will cost quite some money but saves them spending billions on a copy of streetview (which will not happen in Apple Maps).

Not unless flyover is going to magically work out ways to break the laws of physics, achieve an impossible level of resolution and make street signs readable.

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
...stuff...
Sure, Google has 7000 people putting POIs together.

And they don't need to read signs from flyover, their sign labeling is already superb.

You don't understand Google has already bought most of the stuff from TomTom and others. The quality just differs from country to country, but there is no need to burn down the house and build it again.

And companies like Yelp want their data to be on maps as those link to their pages.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Sure, Google has 7000 people putting POIs together.

So Apple won't require that many people to fix theirs, when they have a much worse database to start with because...?

And they don't need to read signs from flyover, their sign labeling is already superb.

Google use sign data from their streetview cars to help them integrate the POI and business listings data they have together - you can read street signs, and check business names. If they still have questions they assign a streetview car to go and check the data in person.

It's all part of a strong system that Apple don't have and show no signs of being able to replicate.

You don't understand Google has already bought most of the stuff from TomTom and others.

Google has bought data from other providers, but it has a lot of data from it's own.

So Google has contracts with - a) better providers than Apple b) a huge database of it's own which Apple doesn't and c) a much better system with thousands of skilled staff to integrate those together and things like Street View.

And it has seven years head start. And a much bigger incentive for businesses to fix their own listings.

You've completely failed to explain how Apple replicates any of these things without spending $10 billion at least and recruiting the extra staff. Shouting at Tom Tom or Yelp isn't going to help.

The quality just differs from country to country, but there is no need to burn down the house and build it again.

The UK literally requires them to scrap the database and start again. So does Japan.

And companies like Yelp want their data to be on maps as those link to their pages.

Except Yelp is a failed business in the UK, and indeed in most non-US territories.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
The streets have good names...

...but that's about it. Our nearby hospital is four blocks away from where Maps says it is (and AFAIK, it's never moved), and they show a Jewish community center that hasn't been open since the white flight of the 1970s (a building which was demolished years ago to make way for mixed-income housing).

It's like they got their info from decades-old paper maps! :eek:

shahrezsyed

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2011
Stony Brook, New York
Difference between google and apple maps in my country.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 158

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
...except for those who live there- like the original poster of the images, but I suppose he/ they don't count to you.

He said "my country"...not "my hometown where I happen to live right now."

Do you want to post a satellite image of Guam via Google Maps and talk about cloud cover?

Uummmm...and did he post the image or did you?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
He said "my country"...not "my hometown where I happen to live right now."

See that little blue dot in both of the pictures they posted? That means that that's where they happen to be at the time. Whether they live there or not is irrelevant as it's an area they are in and want maps for.

Do you want to post a satellite image of Guam via Google Maps and talk about cloud cover?

Knock yourself out if you want to, but at least they have standard maps to fall back on with Google. Apple's clear satellite images are useless since the island is barely mapped out.

Uummmm...and did he post the image or did you?

They did, but, again, why should that matter?

You're constantly asking for people to post clear issues with the maps, someone posted a clear screenshot from their current location, and here you are trying to dismiss it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
They did, but, again, why should that matter?

You're constantly asking for people to post clear issues with the maps, someone posted a clear screenshot from their current location, and here you are trying to dismiss it.

Really? Looks like you posted the screenshot of the cloud...his only pics were comparison of standard map views.

No one has ever denied that Google Maps show more information, but I might as well complain that they don't have my driveway mapped out.

I'll start worrying about maps in Pakistan as soon as they stop hiding terrorists...

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Where did the harbour entrance go?

There used to be an entrance to the harbour on Apple maps, but it's gone today. I sent a problem report.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
There used to be an entrance to the harbour on Apple maps, but it's gone today. I sent a problem report.

Weird glitch...notice how the sub streets clearly shown on the standard map view do not translate tot he hybrid view.

Makes me think they are in the process of updating/changing the map for some other reason?

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
"Oh my God...how am I ever going to get around in the back alleys of Failasabad, Pakistan?" -- Said no one with an iPhone ever.
Why is it you resort to such bizarre arrogance when presented with maps being genuinely poor in some places? It's hardly as if it's limited to parts of Pakistan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.