Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WorldTravelBro

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks this is great? Probably because it is my first iMac, and my MacBook Pro scores about 4-5000... :D

I am with you. Its just people that don't have enough to purchase a fully loaded 27 inch iMac (even though they want one so bad and wish they did have one and would trade their old one for a new one in a blink of an eye) and try to justify and make themselves feel better about keeping an old/fat/outdated/prehistoric/antique iMac.

Then you have the ones that want an apple computer but can only afford a mac mini with an old dell or lg monitor with massive black wires all over their desk.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Just some random thoughts on speed. In addition to my iMac 27" I have a Hackintosh that has an i7 2600k, which is the same processor as in the iMac, but unlocked for overclocking. Stock, it gets the same GB score as does my iMac (obvious). I have been able to OC it to a score of 15000+, but as it gets up there it gets slightly unstable. I am now back to running it stock.

The reason I took it back is that the only time it made any difference was when I was using handbrake to encode a video. And then, it was not that huge of a difference and I was always worried that I would KP in the middle. My point is, for most of us (granted there are some of you who have edge case usage needs) you would never notice 15% or even 25% speed increases in 90+% of what you are doing. I keep a little app in my menu bar that shows how the machines is using the cores and, my iMac is barely moving the menus during typical computer use (word processing, browsing, listening to music).

I am a benchmark junkie as much as anyone, but really, I think it's mostly for bragging rights. It's similar to talking about how many horse power your Ferrari has. It likely won't get you from your house to work much faster than someone's Prius since you don't have a chance to use those horses. Now if you're a racer, it's a different story.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
I am with you. Its just people that don't have enough to purchase a fully loaded 27 inch iMac (even though they want one so bad and wish they did have one and would trade their old one for a new one in a blink of an eye) and try to justify and make themselves feel better about keeping an old/fat/outdated/prehistoric/antique iMac.

Then you have the ones that want an apple computer but can only afford a mac mini with an old dell or lg monitor with massive black wires all over their desk.

yeah. i call this the cute-i-like-shiny-apple-stuff-user who can't afford to be a power-user.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
J
I am a benchmark junkie as much as anyone, but really, I think it's mostly for bragging rights. It's similar to talking about how many horse power your Ferrari has. It likely won't get you from your house to work much faster than someone's Prius since you don't have a chance to use those horses. Now if you're a racer, it's a different story.

Again, the voice of reason creeps in . . . . . :D

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That only proves how weighted the bench is to multi cores. We should be running something more real world rounded.

I do so on a daily basis. Though large portions of my job (rendering in particular) are heavily dependent on CPU performance, to the point where it literally comes down to the more CPU power you have, the sooner you can go home and/or the better the work looks.

The very thought of rendering (for days on end) on these anorexic laptops on a stick (beautiful though they are) gives me the creeps.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
Just some random thoughts on speed. In addition to my iMac 27" I have a Hackintosh that has an i7 2600k, which is the same processor as in the iMac, but unlocked for overclocking. Stock, it gets the same GB score as does my iMac (obvious). I have been able to OC it to a score of 15000+, but as it gets up there it gets slightly unstable. I am now back to running it stock.

The reason I took it back is that the only time it made any difference was when I was using handbrake to encode a video. And then, it was not that huge of a difference and I was always worried that I would KP in the middle. My point is, for most of us (granted there are some of you who have edge case usage needs) you would never notice 15% or even 25% speed increases in 90+% of what you are doing. I keep a little app in my menu bar that shows how the machines is using the cores and, my iMac is barely moving the menus during typical computer use (word processing, browsing, listening to music).

you mean, the final cut pro x, motion x racetrack? been there with my dual-core macs. i can finish, but it feels core-starved or maybe i just race harder than my "car" can handle.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I do so on a daily basis. Though large portions of my job (rendering in particular) are heavily dependent on CPU performance, to the point where it literally comes down to the more CPU power you have, the sooner you can go home and/or the better the work looks.

The very thought of rendering (for days on end) on these anorexic laptops on a stick gives me the creeps.

This is a reality for many of us that some refuse to accept. The mobile market is a fantastic sector that is changing everyday and has much potential, however this doesn't change the fact we need power. The Mac Pro is a must for many of us, without it, well, we're up a creek and the iOS paddles aren't helping.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Since when have desktop computer updates ever really been that big of a deal? It's been a long time. 25% faster than blazing fast is.. um.. really frickin' fast. What a bunch of whiners.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

I here you. My (admitted non rendering use) list of priorities goes like this:

1) Speed, Speed, Speed
2) Memory
3) Number of Cores
4) Graphics Card Specs

I should have put a "drive"" in there (as SSD), but that's a given no matter what. Biggest bang for the buck speed bump anyone can get.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
you mean, the final cut pro x, motion x racetrack? been there with my dual-core macs. i can finish, but it feels core-starved or maybe i just race harder than my "car" can handle.

Yeah, my wife can't understand why I need so many different machines. Each excels in different ways. My favorite machine right now is my 13" MBA. It is the most practical for me. In fact, half the time that I "use" my Hackintosh I am screen sharing it from my MBA. But there is no way I would give up my desktops, because once-in-a-while I need the speed (and the screen real estate), but getting the new iMac I wouldn't likely notice any difference between my old one. That's not Apple's fault, it's just that I'm only tapping out my machines once in a great while.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
which do you guys think is a better BTO option to go with on the top end 27" imac?

i7 CPU or 680 mx?

let's say, i want to use this machine for apple pro x apps....

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
No, it isn't. Apple specifies that there are no user-serviceable parts inside (RAM on the 27" excepted). So if you want to void the warranty, have at it.

You post in ignorance, my friend . . .

;)

He's not posting in ignorance.
Fact is, they are more upgradeable than many people assumed. The warranty is important of course. But many people may not consider upgrades until long after that has expired anyway.
And look at the mini's. Apple suggests you can only upgrade the ram yourself. Yet heaps of folks are changing out the HD on those themselves regardless.

Anyway, 10-25% improvement seems decent enough to me. And it's what i'd expect given that the same CPU's in a PC would of course give very comparable results. What did you complainers really expect? 2 X i7's in there? If they did go with 2 X i7's then you'd all be whining at the cost of it..

js09

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
bahahahah at the imac as the same speed as the mac pro.

the new imac is already outdated for the price and still beats the mac pro.

those of you who bought into the fact you need 8 cores.. SUCKERS!!!

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
The Late 2012 Mac Mini with a Geek Benchmark of 10,500 (mine with 8gb of Ram did better) is better than the 21.5" iMac.

Yes the iMac has more features than a Mini, but the Mini is now More than competitive. I added a Dell Ultra 24" screen (half way between the 21.5" & the 27") for a total out the door cost of $1100. Interesting alternative and my mouse and keyboard from the Late 2009 iMac (sold for $400) still works fine.

Wouldn't it be better if you would've paid a bit extra to get the mini and del monitor smashed, gelled and squeezed together in a thin profile which would've also got you wireless keyboard and mouse, which is what iMac IS basically, with 2 less cord dangling...i mean, i would...

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
Everyone needs to stop their moaning & complaining.

First off, for people coming from an iMac 3+ years old, this will be a huge improvement. It's not like most people upgrade their $2000 computer every year.

Secondly, every component (especially the 680MX) used in the new iMac line are fairly substantial upgrades. I saw people from PC/Laptop gaming forums drooling over the 680MX, something probably only the iMac will get. What else was Apple suppose to use? An Nvidia 7 series or Haswell? Oh wait, they're not out yet!

Lastly, I'm tired of hearing about the loss of the optical drive and how bad the new design is because it's "too thin." The absence of the optical drive was a long time coming, don't act surprised because it got removed. If you're still the person burning DVD's of your family vacation for your parents, then know you're one of the few and there are still options to accommodate those needs. Now, if you're a professional, you're probably authoring to Blu-Ray anyways. Loosing the optical drive shouldn't be a big deal because you probably own a Blu-Ray external burner already.

Yes it is THINNER! We can all see that. I am confident that Apple Engineers who make 200,000K+ a year figured out a proper way to cool these or they probably wouldn't have released them.

To me, you sound just like a bunch of babies. By all means though, stick with your iMacs with optical drives. It'll just help those of us who want one, get one quicker.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
Hmm, the base 21.5 is not that much better than my mid 2011 base 21.5.

Was thinking about upgrading but doesn't seem to be worth it. I can still put another 8gb of memory in mine before I decide to move on up. Where with these new ones to get 16gb you have to slap down another 200 bones.

That's one thing I like about the mid 2011, they had dual slots. And if I remember correctly, OWC proved you can dump 32gb in it as well. This might be the best imac for another year or two, considering its rating and expansion ability.

Maybe next year the speed bump will be worth it.

js09

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
I love hearing you people complain but still buy this **** anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

WorldTravelBro

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Hmm, the base 21.5 is not that much better than my mid 2011 base 21.5.

Was thinking about upgrading but doesn't seem to be worth it. I can still put another 8gb of memory in mine before I decide to move on up. Where with these new ones to get 16gb you have to slap down another 200 bones.

That's one thing I like about the mid 2011, they had dual slots. And if I remember correctly, OWC proved you can dump 32gb in it as well. This might be the best imac for another year or two, considering its rating and expansion ability.

Maybe next year the speed bump will be worth it.

My previous post I made:

Its just people that don't have enough to purchase a fully loaded 27 inch iMac (even though they want one so bad and wish they did have one and would trade their old one for a new one in a blink of an eye) and try to justify and make themselves feel better about keeping an old/fat/outdated/prehistoric/antique iMac.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Wouldn't it be better if you would've paid a bit extra to get the mini and del monitor smashed, gelled and squeezed together in a thin profile which would've also got you wireless keyboard and mouse, which is what iMac IS basically, with 2 less cord dangling...i mean, i would...

That might be true if Apple hadn't gone to integrated graphics on the Minis. That's one reason why you have to be careful with Geekbench results, they are synthetic and don't test graphics or drives. There was virtual wailing about the lack of discrete graphics in the new Minis. I think I would have bought one, but I fear that the graphics will be too slow.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I was gonna get the 27" iMac....but I'm thinking that the best option going forward is to get a thunderbolt apple display with a Mac mini or MacBook Air.

As much as I love the iMac. My last few desktops were iMacs.....I just think that upgrading the whole iMac gets to be pricey in the future. Once the innards start to lag, ya gotta get rid of the screen as well since its attached. Duh.

But if you get a thunderbolt Cinema Display, you'll have it forever. All ya gotta do is upgrade the computer part, which will cost you far less each time.

Gonna miss the all in one form factor....but I think I'm gonna pass on the iMac this time.

My only question is...will Apple upgrade the thunderbolt cinema displays into the thinner form factor of the new iMacs? Would stand to reason that they would. I care less about the thinness tho, and more about the 75% less reflective glass being used.

Any rumors on this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.