Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
And here I was hoping theyd be right next to where I am... But looks like theyre along 101 instead. There goes my geek cred.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
No, I hate irresponsible development. Very big difference....

If you think for a second you will come to the conclusion that for a project of this magnitude many professionals were involved who are (and I guarantee it) all more qualified than you to work or comment on this project.

You were not in on the discussions.
You do not know the development process.
You do not know how they came to which conclusion.
You do not know which compromises had to be made.
You do not know.....................

In short

YOU DO NOT KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THIS PROJECT

to make the statements you make.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Nope. This is a discussion forum, we had to have our voices herd.

Right! Everyone should have the opportunity to brag about their reading skills. It's interesting to see how many users on this forum are reading challenged.

----------

what's the benefit of leasing the land long term instead of buying it? Lower taxes?

The benefits are the same as renting an apartment. You don't need to manage building maintenance and other operations, and you avoid having to deal with ever changing building taxation rules. Apple's expertise is not building management, and leasing dumps that onto experts in the field.

WalkingSnake

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Clicking the up arrow on the comment to which you all replied would have sufficed.

The same way that you could've just not clicked the up arrow and moved on. The same way I could've just not clicked the up arrow on your post and not made this post.

But this is a discussion forum, people would rather talk than give an anonymous thumbs up.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Sooper Sekret?

Why will these employees be off of the main campus and not in the spaceship? What sorts of stuff will they work on? What is the reason that they will be segregated?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Holy smokes.. !! Thats big

Is it me, or have Apple increased their building delays. ? They start to build more stuff anywhere in a small amount of time.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It's bigger than the Pentagon.

Wow, is that true? Is that in footprint or in office space?

The "impracticality" is that it's a very large (in area) campus, but will have far fewer people than some much smaller (in area) campuses nearby.

Maybe they could make it an 8 story doughnut - but it still wouldn't hold anywhere close to the number of people that a more practical campus of rectangular buildings would hold.

Just kill the thing, it's a bad design.

Fair enough, that would suggest decreased practicality, but sometimes sacrificing practicality for other qualities such as comfort and beauty, is worthwhile. Is it still going to be too small once it's built, or are these other building's temporary?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Wow, is that true? Is that in footprint or in office space?

Think about how expansive the Pentagon is. You can walk all day throughout its corridors and not see everything.

campus-110816.png

Boom.

You could wrap this place with 3 empire state buildings.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Think about how expansive the Pentagon is. You can walk all day throughout its corridors and not see everything.

Boom.

You could wrap this place with 3 empire state buildings.

Ah, so it's a bigger footprint, but less actual office space? Fair enough, it's hard to argue that that's not less practical. Still, you guys (Americans) aren't exactly short of land are you, so does it matter?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Ah, so it's a bigger footprint, but less actual office space? Fair enough, it's hard to argue that that's not less practical. Still, you guys (Americans) aren't exactly short of land are you, so does it matter?

What makes it less office space? Take each of the inner rows of the Pentagon, put them side by side and you have roughly the same thickness as the one continuous loop (;)) of Apple's new HQ.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Actually, the Peninsula/South Bay is critically short of land.

Apple isn't building a campus in the Nevada desert - they're building it in the narrow strip of land between San Francisco Bay and the green-space protected mountains created by the San Andreas Fault.

There's very little chance of developing "out" here, developing "up" is much greener.

Which is why I say that the turtle-necked overlord's final monument of the "spaceship campus" is wasteful - it's too small before the first spadeful of dirt is turned to build it- yet it's on a huge plot of land that could be much better used.

Last edited:

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
What makes it less office space? Take each of the inner rows of the Pentagon, put them side by side and you have roughly the same thickness as the one continuous loop (;)) of Apple's new HQ.

I dunno, it looks like less area to me, but with the different shapes its hard to tell. If I were less lazy I'd find the figures...

Actually, the Peninsula/South Bay is critically short of land.

Apple isn't building a campus in the Nevada desert - they're building it in the narrow strip of land between San Francisco Bay and the green-space protected mountains created by the San Andreas Fault.

There's very little chance of developing "out" here, developing "up" is much greener.

Which is why I say that the turtle-necked overlord's final monument of the "spaceship campus" is wasteful - it's too small before the first spadeful of dirt is turned to build it- yet it's on a huge plot of land that could be much better used.

Hmm, I am inclined the share your sentiment, I'm a bit of a greeny myself, but I'm not sure. At least they're maintaining lots of green space around the actual campus. Hmm.

Incidentally, anyone think it looks a little like the GCHQ building in the UK?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.