Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
...and see if I can't get to the RAM myself.

The RAM is built into the logic board as non-removable DIMM's (21.5" model only). They didn't use regular removable RAM DIMM's and simply neglect to install a removable exterior door to allow the end user to change the RAM themselves.

If you don't upgrade the RAM via the factory options on day one, you're stuck with the 8GB that it comes with standard forever.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
If you get fusion are you still able to create a partition for windows (to run programs that are Windows only...I.E. Flight Simulator, etc)? I remember reading somewhere the fusion would not allow this functionality

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
If you get fusion are you still able to create a partition for windows (to run programs that are Windows only...I.E. Flight Simulator, etc)? I remember reading somewhere the fusion would not allow this functionality

Apple's product page says that you can Boot Camp Windows with the 1TB Fusion Drive, but you can't put Windows on the SSD portion. It also says Boot Camp does not support the 3TB Fusion Drive "at this time."

chrisguy1

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Which Video Card?

Hey as a professional photographer that uses Lightroom & Photoshop pretty heavily, I'm trying to decide between the lower end 27 with 512mb video card and the next step up with the 1gb video card.

What do you guys recommend? I'm going to max it out with 3rd party memory after I get it, and I'm going with the fusion drive as well. Will I notice much of a difference with the $200 upgrade?

Thanks,
Chris

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
What should I do ? advice please

hi
i ordered the imac 27" with 1tb fusion drive today. i really just wanted a ssd in it, not fusion, but a grand is too much for the only sad option .

i thought that it was not gonna be possible to fit my own bought sad into the new iMac but i am hearing that its easy to open up, and maybe not so bad to fit my own sad ?

ive seen on youtube that the fusion sad part is not as fast as a normal ssd on its own ...

can anyone tell me if it will be not so hard to fit a ssd myself and what is involved (i.e. taking off a logic board or what ever ,

would i need to take out the 1tb hd to put the ssd in or is there a slot to put the ssd and keep the original hd ?

if apple had given me the option to just have a 128 0r 256 ssd fitted i would have gone for that ....

if i fit my own sad, if i need it to go for repair anytime, could i just take it out and would it look like ive opened up the imac and spoil my 3 year edu warrenty ?

thanks for any help .. i have to cancel my order soon and re order if i am gonna get just a 1tb hd and fit my own ssd ...

thanks .. please reply if you really know the deal on this ... not just guessing lol

ps sad = SSD .. stupid corrective text !

uk

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I own a 2010 iMac. I would not buy another one based on what Apple has done to this machine. They have ruined it. No optical drive? Sorry, I use one. And am NOT going to live my live buying everything form iTunes. No self RAM upgrades on 21 inch model? This is just greed and theft by Apple. It is THIN on the side. So what!? It is still "fat" in the back and the old one was not fat.

No Firewire? SD card reader impossible to find in the back?

In short, Apple has just signed the death warrant for the iMac.

No firewire is annoying. SD card reader (and everything else) at the back is even more annoying. But I ordered anyway, and I am positive I will be happy upgrading from my low-end 24" 2008 model.

Sensa

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I have to admit that the new iMac is gorgeous after seeing the 21 in model in the Apple store earlier today. Sadly, though, I won't be buying one for several reasons and I waited 6 months for the new ones to show up to replace my 3rd iMac an early 2006 model.

The new iMac is honestly disappointing in many ways.

1) Fused case means if something goes wrong it can't be fixed and the whole machine has to be replaced (and that includes the 27 in model which has an access door only big enough to upgrade ram).

2) the 640M graphic card in the base model is out of date on arrival. The 650M in the top end 21 has limited future functionality due to having only 512 mb (a concern for gamers etc or those like me who tend to keep computers for lengthy periods of time)

3) All of which forces you to spend big bucks on the higher end 27 in models which are really more money and screen then I, and many others, need or can afford.

I was going to buy an upgraded 21 in and a portable but the limitations imposed by the spec structure killed that idea. Didn't want to spend $1500 on the top end 21in iMac and $12-1500 on a 13 in air or cMBP and not have a computer with good enough graphic options to play new games a year or 2 down the road.

So, anyway, needing a new personal computer and a portable for work, I opted for a middle of the road 15 in cMBP with the added benefitted of an optical drive and increased serviceability. It also has the 650M but with 1 gb.

For me, the end of a 10 + year relationship with iMac is a sad day.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
It probably just wouldn't look right without the chin. There'd be nowhere to put the Apple logo, and from the front it would just look like a generic knock-off LCD monitor and lose that iMac look. The chin is a design element that makes an iMac recognizable.

well, have u ever seen apple TB display? that is how could imac without chin look like.. and that would be awesome

MacGator12

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
No new iMACs on Display at SugarLand, TX.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple is now accepting orders for the new iMac on their online store. The new iMacs offer dramatically reduced thickness and add a brand new Fusion Drive that combines flash storage and a traditional disk-based hard drive to maximize both speed and capacity.

The 21.5" model starts at $1299 and $1499 while the 27" model starts at $1799 and $1999. The 21.5" model is shipping in "1-3 business days" while the 27" model ships in 2-3 weeks. Limited stock of 21.5" iMacs should also be available in Apple retail stores starting today. The previously reported iMac build-to-order options were accurate with a variety of RAM, Processor, Hard Drive and Graphics Card upgrades available for specific models.

We previously posted an unboxing video of the new iMac.

Article Link: New iMac Now Available to Order in the U.S.

Just got back from the store, roughly 5:30 PM. Nothing on view. Response was "we have some in the back". Not what I expected when told that there would be some in the store. Just another sub performance.

kolizion

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
ordered...

With the following configuration:
•
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
•
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
•
1TB Fusion Drive
•
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
•
Magic Trackpad
•
Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
•
Accessory Kit

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Didn't see this mentioned already, but I just spoke to Debbie T. on livechat, and she confirmed that while the 21.5" imac only has a 5400rpm fusion drive, the 27" model has a 7200rpm drive. So if you're doing performance-oriented work, definitely either get the 27", or plan to take your 21.5" model to an authorized shop immediately and have a faster drive installed. You definitely don't want to do intensive photo or video work on a 5400rpm drive. You'll regret it.

Think you'll find the 21.5" uses laptop HDDs, thus the speed and limited to 1Tb.

1) Fused case means if something goes wrong it can't be fixed and the whole machine has to be replaced (and that includes the 27 in model which has an access door only big enough to upgrade ram).

I think this is wrong as the tear-down shows the screen does come off to get to the inside if it breaks down.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Tell me about it.. I have a nice $2566 (w/ tax) system sitting in my cart. Unfortunately, I've had home repairs go about $3000 over budget, and that was before my water service line sprung a leak.........

I've never been in such a big computer dilemma. I kinda have no choice but to go to a freaking PC.....

Sensa

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I think this is wrong as the tear-down shows the screen does come off to get to the inside if it breaks down.

You can take anything apart its the putting it back together that's the tough part. Besides the fact the case is specially friction stir welded (which means if you break the welds like in the tear down good luck re-closing the case if you don't happen to own an apple factory and haven't licensed the patented welding tech) the 21in is advertised as not user upgradeable and the 27in only user upgrade is ram via a special hatch.

these things (as well as retina mbp's) are not meant to be taken apart. They are truly disposable computers.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
You can take anything apart its the putting it back together that's the tough part. Besides the fact the case is specially friction stir welded (which means if you break the welds like in the tear down good luck re-closing the case if you don't happen to own an apple factory and haven't licensed the patented welding tech) the 21in is advertised as not user upgradeable and the 27in only user upgrade is ram via a special hatch.

these things (as well as retina mbp's) are not meant to be taken apart. They are truly disposable computers.

I agree but the screen is not fused to the metal case, I think the hardest parts with be getting everything back together correctly, keep careful notes of get someone to video you taking it apart. And putting screen back on might be tricky, it probably uses a special glue or tape to hold it together.

I think the friction stir welded only applies to them fitting the chin to the back of the case, to make to look of one piece of metal. JMO.

ETA - I'm wondering if Apple will change the internal design of the 21.5" to allow for a RAM door in the next model? I guess it depends on user demand and whether they go to a 24" for the base model in a year?

Speaking of do we see a Haswell upgrade in 6 months when the new CPUs come online? I'm guessing we won't se a design change and new/bigger LCDs until 2014 at the earliest?

Last edited:

jchfriis

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Ordered

27-inch base model with
8 GB memory - can upgrade later if need be
1 TB fusion drive - having experienced SSD in my Linux Media Center I want that speed
NVIDIA GT 660M 512 MB - I'm not a gamer so this should be enough

This machine i think should last me a long time for my needs (photography mostly)

Delivery around my birthday, so looking forward to my gift to myself.

Thanks to all the members who have posted their experiences. It has helped a lot with my decision.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I've never been in such a big computer dilemma. I kinda have no choice but to go to a freaking PC.....

I'm just not giving back my wife's 2008 MacBook and limiting my games to the Xbox for now. Some day I will press "check out" in my cart in the Apple Store, and that will be a glorious day.

----------

Look at the teardown pics. These are easier to repair/replace components than the 2011's. Same suction cups to get the screen off, smooth sailing from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.