Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will soon allow customers to custom load their iTunes Gift Cards for any amount between $15 and $500, according to a report by 9to5Mac.

Apple has long offered flexible loading onto its Apple Store gift cards, but has resisted offering that on its iTunes cards. It's possible the company didn't feel the need to set up the infrastructure necessary for stores to report custom load amounts on its iTunes Gift Cards. Apple also still requires set amounts to be applied to iTunes Gift Certificates purchased through the iTunes Store itself. Regardless, it should be a welcome change.

flexgiftcard.jpg
Rolling out to your favorite supermarket or retail store this holiday season are new Apple iTunes gift cards which can be bought in any denomination between $15 and $500. We're hearing that at least one supermarket chain and one retailler are putting these on the shelves today.

You take these cards to the cashier and choose how much to put on them. When the cashier validates the card, the amount paid is tied to the number/code.
Previously, iTunes Gift Cards could only be purchased in increments of $15, $25, $50, or $100. Apple does sell multi-packs consisting of 4 $10 or $25 cards.

Purchasing iTunes Gift Cards at discount stores like Sam's Club can sometimes allow customers to save money on iTunes and App Store purchases.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out New iTunes Gift Cards With Flexible Load Amounts From $15-$500

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
The apple store near me (Northshore) has had this for over a month if not three. I'm not sure why this is new. And I don't mean the apple store gift cards, I do mean the iTunes ones

upyourego

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
This has been available in my local WH Smiths (Jersey, Channel Islands, UK) for about a year.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
My store has had these gift cards since the beginning of the school year (Late august). This isn't really "News".

iwbyte

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
uhm, I've been buying these at Ralphs supermarket and CVS stores for two years now.

A little late to the party, MacRumors

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I've seen iTunes cards that could have something like $15-$250. I even bought one for my gf. This is nothing new.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I've only spent $35 from a $50 I got for Christmas last year... At this rate, a $500 would keep me good for about 12 years.

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
This will be nice for giving gifts

Whenever I have purchased iTunes gift cards as gifts, it is hard because you are locked in to set amounts. It will be nice to customize this.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I like the prepaid cards that already have dollar values assigned to them. Every couple of months, Target will put them on sale, and you can get 5% more off if using a store credit/debit card to pay. They don't, however, put the flexible amount cards on sale. I hope apple doesn't do away with these fixed amount cards...

JacksMacintosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
So for my sisters birthday, I went to buy her an iTunes gift card. I went to my local CVS because they were the closest place I could think of, and they had these cards that you could load with anything between $15 and (I can't remember what/ if there was a maximum)
This was last March.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
What does this mean for stores discounting iTunes cards? Will that stop now?
I've never seen the variable amount iTunes cards in Australia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.