Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
So I just ordered a BTO iMac online. Do I need to buy AppleCare now? Can I wait for a few months?

I know with the iPhones you need to buy AppleCare with the phones but does that apply to the iMacs?

bgsnmky

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
but when you order it - it still goes off of the purchase date right?

so is the only reason to wait..in case you decide you don't want it

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I just ordered a BTO iMac online. Do I need to buy AppleCare now? Can I wait for a few months?
AppleCare
AppleCare Protection Plan for Mac or Apple Display

• You can buy AppleCare any time during the first year warranty period, so you don't have to buy it at time of purchase.
  • You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here
  • AppleCare will extend the 1 year warranty for an additional 2 years, for a total of 3 years coverage from the date of your Mac purchase.
    It also extends telephone support from 90 days, which is included with your original warranty, to a total of 3 years.
  • You cannot buy AppleCare again or renew it once it expires.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover damage from accidents, spills, etc. They only cover manufacturing defects.
  • AppleCare+ provides some coverage for accidental damage, but is only available for the iPad and iPhone, not for Apple computers.
  • Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare will cover batteries that have worn out. They only cover defective batteries.
  • You can buy AppleCare from Apple or from other sources, such as Amazon, B&H Photo Video, L.A. Computer Company and others. Exercise caution when buying from sites such as eBay, as some AppleCare offers have been scams.
  • For more detailed questions, read the AppleCare Protection Plan (pdf) agreement.

Razorhog

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Arkansas
I'm holding off for a while on Applecare. It will help ease the sticker shock of $3400 I just dropped. Granted not by much but it helps.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I'm holding off for a while on Applecare. It will help ease the sticker shock of $3400 I just dropped. Granted not by much but it helps.
I dropped about 2500 and am still holding off even at that quite a bit of doe. I don't mind spending the money as long as there aren't issues like yellow screens or whatever awful backlight bleed.

*crosses fingers*

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You have a year. Many places discount it, but buy from reputable store. There is a fraud ring based in China (shockers!) that printed phony AC packages and sells on eBay at "unbelievable" prices.

Alternatively, check your credit card features. It might double your warranty at no extra charge. Statistically, if something doesn't break in the first two years it's not going to break in the 3rd either.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
You have a year. Many places discount it, but buy from reputable store. There is a fraud ring based in China (shockers!) that printed phony AC packages and sells on eBay at "unbelievable" prices.

Alternatively, check your credit card features. It might double your warranty at no extra charge. Statistically, if something doesn't break in the first two years it's not going to break in the 3rd either.
Do you happen to know if MasterCard has a policy likes this, double year warranty? I guess I'll have to ring them up.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008

Yeah, I used my AMEX card but still would like to use AppleCare if I can find a good price from a reputable dealer (not E-Bay). Seems easier to take the iMac to the Apple store.

With the educational discount, AppleCare is only $119 for the iMacs.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Yeah, I used my AMEX card but still would like to use AppleCare if I can find a good price from a reputable dealer (not E-Bay). Seems easier to take the iMac to the Apple store.

With the educational discount, AppleCare is only $119 for the iMacs.

You can take your Mac to the Apple Store w/ Amex's program. Just did that over the summer w/ my MBP. My SD card slot was wonky so called up Amex. They gave me the choice of getting the repair done my self or them shipping a box and having their provider do it. I opted to do it myself. Here's how it went:

Genius looked at my MBP and said it needed a new logic board. She printed out the estimate and I faxed it to AMEX. About 4 days later AMEX approved it and credited my account even before the repair was made.

----------

Do you happen to know if MasterCard has a policy likes this, double year warranty? I guess I'll have to ring them up.

Every card has different features so you'd need to call your issuing card co. to find out.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
You can take your Mac to the Apple Store w/ Amex's program. Just did that over the summer w/ my MBP. My SD card slot was wonky so called up Amex. They gave me the choice of getting the repair done my self or them shipping a box and having their provider do it. I opted to do it myself. Here's how it went:

Genius looked at my MBP and said it needed a new logic board. She printed out the estimate and I faxed it to AMEX. About 4 days later AMEX approved it and credited my account even before the repair was made.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2012
Don't waste your money if you are in the UK

It's called the Sale of Goods Act, the goods must last for a reasonable amount of time. A 1 year warranty is a total misnomer. A £1500 computer should last 5 years at least. If it breaks and Apple refuse to repair or replace it, issue small claims proceedings quoting SOGA. They would pay you/ sort it immediately. Don't pay for this unless you have more money than sense!

DISGUSTED

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Apple protection plan

I bought the Apple Protection Plan with my 27inch IMAC over 2 years ago. Unlike many other customers, I have found that Apple does not stand by their products. Even though I made numerous complaints that my Mac was not working properly they denied this; I even had a technician ( from Apple PP) come out and check it and say it was fine. I have been shunted from one tech to another and they all give me conflicting advice and despite numerous phone calls and complaints they refused to admit that the computer was malfunctioning. The mouse was eventually replaced after I took it to an Apple store and the Genuises said they had never seen a mouse act like that before. Due to poor technical advice and lack of follow up of my complaints and concerns I have lost every photo on the computer as well as every photo on the external back-up system. I was following all their instructions and kept telling them I was concerned but they insisted it was working and would not follow-up. After taking everything to an Apple store they agreed that the software was corrupted and so I had lost ALL my data. PLEASE BUYER BEWARE OF APPLE PRODUCTS.:mad:

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I opted for the auto enroll on Apple care because I just know I'll forget all about it after I start to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.