Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so confused....

• iPhone5 (4") + mini iPad (7.9")

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Samsung Galaxy Note (5.5")

Votes: 40 53.3%

• Total voters

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Totally disagree. Despite the fact they you look ridiculous when calling. You cannot use the S3 with one hand let alone this. What i mean by that is you cant use your thumb to control the whole display. Therefore imo it is not a good phone. As to the tablet part its quite simple. Its WAY to small of a screen. the mini is 8 inches and is the smallest you can go to do anything "tablet like".

An ipad is for many people is a replacement for a laptop/macbook. You are high if you think a 5.5 inch screen can replace a 13 inch one. Thats my thoughts at least.

Ok, a couple things. Some people can use the whole screen one handed, I can't, but a small percentage of people can. As for actually using the phone one handed, they have a feature that reduces the size of the dialpad and interface options during a call. This really does make it one handed for people with small hands dialing numbers, etc.
Ask yourself this, if I'm browsing on an iPad with a 1024x768 screen, how is it different than a Note 2 with 1280x720? The answer is, size of screen. But that's why it has such a big screen because it actually works well as a PHABLET. There's that word. It's not meant to be a laptop replacement, its a web/productivity/gaming device that makes calls in the form factor of a phablet, or large phone.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I find using my S3 easier than ip4s one-handed.

Reason: You never need to constantly stretch your thumb to reach top-left like iOS (to tap back /nav buttons). On Android, "back" button is easily reached at where your resting thumb position is. Same with menu/commands. I can also create a shortcut at the bottom of the screen to drop down the notification panel easily. Can you with iphone?

For Note 2, there is an option to set to "one-handed use". The position of some elements are adjusted so you can use it one-handed without problem.

I physically cannot reach the top right/left of my friends S3 with my thumb. I barely can with the 5. You must have gigantic hands lol. I have never heard anyone being able to use the s3 with one thumb...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I physically cannot reach the top right/left of my friends S3 with my thumb. I barely can with the 5. You must have gigantic hands lol. I have never heard anyone being able to use the s3 with one thumb...

I didnt say I can reach the top right/left with my thumb. Most of the time you don't need to do that with Android (unless you are using a transplanted version of iOS app done by lazy programmer ;) ).

Most used tap zones (back, menu, etc) in Android are located at the bottom unlike iphone which uses the top of the screen. It is pretty irritating to use iphone one-handed because you need to keep stretching your thumb out so very OFTEN. Plus your stretched thumb keeps blocking the screen and disturbing your viewing concentration. No such problem with Android as your tapping positions are mostly near the resting thumb position most of the time.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Ok, a couple things. Some people can use the whole screen one handed, I can't, but a small percentage of people can. As for actually using the phone one handed, they have a feature that reduces the size of the dialpad and interface options during a call. This really does make it one handed for people with small hands dialing numbers, etc.
Ask yourself this, if I'm browsing on an iPad with a 1024x768 screen, how is it different than a Note 2 with 1280x720? The answer is, size of screen. But that's why it has such a big screen because it actually works well as a PHABLET. There's that word. It's not meant to be a laptop replacement, its a web/productivity/gaming device that makes calls in the form factor of a phablet, or large phone.

Well then fair enough, if you understand that a 5.5 inch screen is pretty much useless compared to an ipad or a computer due to its screen size than thats ok. web/productivity/gaming is all subpar on the note compared to the mini and even worse when compared to an ipad or laptop. You have no idea what productivity is if you think its possible on a 5.5 inch screen. Also web is much worse on a small screen, very good on an ipad.

----------

I didnt say I can reach the top right/left with my thumb. Most of the time you don't need to do that with Android (unless you are using a transplanted version of iOS app done by lazy programmer ;) ).

Most used tap zones (back, menu, etc) in Android are located at the bottom unlike iphone which uses the top of the screen. It is pretty irritating to use iphone one-handed because you need to keep stretching your thumb out so very OFTEN. Plus your stretched thumb keeps blocking the screen and disturbing your viewing concentration. No such problem with Android as your tapping positions are mostly near the resting thumb position most of the time.

When you are pressing to go back into another screen you don't need to be viewing the screen lol

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
it is strange that the ipad mini which has an 8" screen has a resolution which pales significantly to the smaller Galaxy Note 2

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
The Note II is intriguing. I'm deeply entrenched in the Apple ecosystem and have zero desire to leave it. However, I do sometimes wish my office would use something like the Note II instead of the iPhone. I have my personal 5 and find my work 4S redundant. I'm all about trying different devices out (I test drove an N7 for 3 months and wasn't impressed) and the Note II seems to be THE android device to try. Just can't give up my iPhone 5.

If anyone has a Note II they wanna give me I'll gladly use it on wifi and such ;)

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I really enjoy the browsing and app experience on my S3. The iPad is nice when I need a bigger screen but I miss the Android experience that's why I'm looking for a single device like the Note 2.

Why isn't there a decent Android tablet with LTE? Just saw that ATT is offering the Tab 2 10.1 with LTE for $499. But it doesn't have JB, has an older CPU and only 1G RAM.

I decided to keep my S3 and dump my iPad 2 and get the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 LTE for $399 from AT&T. I added a 64GB microSD card and for $450 I have something that rivals the iPad 4 costing $829. I don't get Retina or superior graphics but this Tab has the same Qualcomm chip as the S3. Performs very well so far.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
When you are pressing to go back into another screen you don't need to be viewing the screen lol

It is still irritating as your thumb still block the screen after you hit the back and you need to move you thumb away. It just gets tiring doing this repeatedly.

Just accept the fact that IOS user interface is not designed with single-handed use in mind. Android is so much more friendlier for one-handed use.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
It is still irritating as your thumb still block the screen after you hit the back and you need to move you thumb away. It just gets tiring doing this repeatedly.

Just accept the fact that IOS user interface is not designed with single-handed use in mind. Android is so much more friendlier for one-handed use.

Maybe so but a lot of android phones are too large for one handed use. Even if the OS is suited towards it, many apps require reaching the top left/right which is impossible on notes and very hard on the S3 imo.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
What's so important about one handed use? What are people doing with their other hand?? Wait.. don't answer that.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
What's so important about one handed use? What are people doing with their other hand?? Wait.. don't answer that.

Eating, drinking, driving, writing, carrying bags, holding onto your kids, holding up products so you can scan it with your phone, and general multitasking.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Eating, drinking, driving, writing, carrying bags, holding onto your kids, holding up products so you can scan it with your phone, and general multitasking.

You shouldn't even be using your phones for some of the things mentioned anyway.. :p I understand some people have smaller hands so a larger device wouldn't be the best option for them.

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Decided to go with the iphone 5 and ipad mini combo, really hate the fact there's no widgets... So boring...

raptorstv

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Did you get that issue with your camera fixed yet on your iPhone?

no... it's really pissing me off, i've gotten bunch of protectors installed... wonder if apple will give me a store gift card

Oldguy69

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
I have been a cell phone user since the late 80's when we had a choice between the Motorola Brick phone or the briefcase phone, I chose the Brick. The Brick was huge and when the Star Tac came out $1000.00 analog I bought it. Times have changed, I am using an iPhone 3Gs but it is getting slow and freezing up when streaming video. I dropped it in water the other day (it's in an Otterbox Defender) and it was there for about 3 minutes before I realized it was missing. The ear speaker quit working for a day but I decided to check out the new iPhone 5 and the Galaxy Note 2. I had really planed on buying the iPhone5 and if it had come out with all the features we saw it could have (before it came out) it would have been in my pocket. I like the Note 2 but I am waiting to see if they offer it in a 32Gig model. The Note 2 will probably b my next phone. I spend all day in a tower crane and like the idea of the larger screen for web browsing, texting and video. All in one device and no need to buy another data package. I'm grandfathered in to unlimited data, voice and text with AT&T

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.