Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Here's the wifi connection I get at home.

I don't 'htink it's my internet connection. I've tried 20 different websites, the performance of the ipad 4 is on par with the ipad 3/ipad 2/ipad mini. Only some sites do load a bit faster- that's actually a small bit faster.

App store is still slow at times; under the Purchased tab, you can see how slow it can really get!

I'm going to actually keep this ipad because after using it for nearly non-stop (aside from a full battery calibration), I still think it's bulky, heavier, and not as good as an ipad mini. The only value added to the ipad 4 vs. an ipad 3 is the faster wifi - but then I don't even see that performance increase! But the only thing even worth keeping it around is the display! So rather than hassle with owning another ipad mini, then seeing it being updated in 6months and having to rebuy the mini, i'd rather hold on to this ipad 4, then sell it if I must depending on retina mini if unveiled next 6months.

By the seat of your pants "feel" of the ipad 4, I will say it's not worth the money IF you already own an iPad 3. If you don't own one like myself (anymore), I'll definitely reconsider taking back the ipad mini over this ipad 4. I've witnessed retina display on my previous ipad 3 and yes, it's gorgeous, but the entire 9.7" screen plus size/weight is just a real turn off for portability. For at home use, I'd rather use my MBP!

img0012qd.png

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Alright guys-

I have decided to finally keep the ipad 4 and wait for the ipad retina in a year (or two)

Biggest issue I have with the mini and the most important reason for an ipad in the first place for me is PDF reading. The web surfing I can deal with using font hacks and using landscape orientation. But the very bad quality of the PDFs viewing on the ipad mini is a deal breaker.

I got around to installing a bunch of PDF manuals and personal PDF data sheets I need for work and it is just not good enough on the mini. The fonts look terrible and the entire experience falls ways short compared to an ipad 4.

The ipad 4 is officially FAST. I was able to use it extensively and ive noticed although only certain websites are faster on the ipad 4, the air playing of web video and just overall playback of webmultimedia content is just way faster. And not to forget ibooks on the ipad 4 renders the high quality PDFs with so little effort. My ipad 2/3 would take 1-4 seconds to render the view of high quality PDFs while on the ipad 4 it's near instant. Actually so fast it's not even worth debating about.

The other side of the speed equation on the ipad 4 is that it finally has the power to render all the games to run very very smoothly in retina resolution while the ipad is no slouch, games like riptide and real racing 2 in retina really does not make the ipad 4 break a sweat.

Overall the web experience (I use my ipad 9.7" in portrait as I did the returned ipad mini) and I don't even have to try to read the text. Is just so amazingly sharp. With mercury browser browsing full screen with slight text font increase, it's so good, I'm going to say the ipad 4 is worth it. True I may not be able to conveniently use it in place of the mini, but the PDF reading experience is the requirement for me.

I will wait for the ipad mini retina and while waiting, enjoy the ipad 4 immensely!

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Alright guys-

I have decided to finally keep the ipad 4 and wait for the ipad retina in a year (or two)

Biggest issue I have with the mini and the most important reason for an ipad in the first place for me is PDF reading. The web surfing I can deal with using font hacks and using landscape orientation. But the very bad quality of the PDFs viewing on the ipad mini is a deal breaker.

I got around to installing a bunch of PDF manuals and personal PDF data sheets I need for work and it is just not good enough on the mini. The fonts look terrible and the entire experience falls ways short compared to an ipad 4.

The ipad 4 is officially FAST. I was able to use it extensively and ive noticed although only certain websites are faster on the ipad 4, the air playing of web video and just overall playback of webmultimedia content is just way faster. And not to forget ibooks on the ipad 4 renders the high quality PDFs with so little effort. My ipad 2/3 would take 1-4 seconds to render the view of high quality PDFs while on the ipad 4 it's near instant. Actually so fast it's not even worth debating about.

The other side of the speed equation on the ipad 4 is that it finally has the power to render all the games to run very very smoothly in retina resolution while the ipad is no slouch, games like riptide and real racing 2 in retina really does not make the ipad 4 break a sweat.

Overall the web experience (I use my ipad 9.7" in portrait as I did the returned ipad mini) and I don't even have to try to read the text. Is just so amazingly sharp. With mercury browser browsing full screen with slight text font increase, it's so good, I'm going to say the ipad 4 is worth it. True I may not be able to conveniently use it in place of the mini, but the PDF reading experience is the requirement for me.

I will wait for the ipad mini retina and while waiting, enjoy the ipad 4 immensely!

Thanks for sharing. I'm in a real quandary. I need a cellular 7" tablet and I have both Mini and Nexus 7 on order. Can't decide which. I have a Wifi Nexus 7 and the screen is very good. I love the Mini build and shape. Sigh. No idea what to do. I have a 4th gen iPad for home use.

marcharmon

macrumors newbie
Turning off Locations permissions for the App. Store Genius speeds the App (and iOS 6 in general) up considerably. Not sure why Genius needs to check my location every day but apparently it happens at least once every 24 hours. Now if I could just figure out why my Bookmarks, etc... Never seem to get past "waiting" when they try to update...

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I can't believe I read this entire thread. But one thing sticks out. You're not buying an ipad 2 again when you get a Mini. It's a smaller form factor, sharper screen, and has LTE if you choose that option.

It went from playing games to now loading up PDF's. I'm not sure if the OP knows what he wants.

Get a refurb ipad 3 LTE for 599. Add a 16gb ipad mini wifi to it for 329. It's not much more than your high end ipad 4 64gb LTE at 900+. Now you got the best of both worlds. Retina screen. Portable ipad.

Spending 900+ for a single ipad makes little sense these days. I'd at least go with a refurb ipad 3.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Alright guys-

I was considering a Mini until you said reading PDFs is rough on it. I use PDFs as study material for my certs daily.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was considering a Mini until you said reading PDFs is rough on it. I use PDFs as study material for my certs daily.

I've read other people saying PDFs were fine; I think it depends of the level of detail and typesize on your PDFs. You should upload some of them to your dropbox and go to an Apple store to see for yourself. You could view in iBooks in addition to DropBox.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I've read other people saying PDFs were fine; I think it depends of the level of detail and typesize on your PDFs. You should upload some of them to your dropbox and go to an Apple store to see for yourself. You could view in iBooks in addition to DropBox.

Thanks for this recommendation. I'm going to do that tomorrow. I would prefer the size of Mini vs the new iPad.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Horses for courses as they say. Mini suits some not others......me being in the latter. Enjoy, whatever the size.........just within 6 months I bet the retina mini will be out! ;)

You just wished that happened just to make yourself feel better. Bet it won't be out in 6 months though.

Steevie

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2012
I really want to get the mini but becuase its internally an ipad 2 im worried that it wont be supported much longer... am i being stupid?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I really want to get the mini but becuase its internally an ipad 2 im worried that it wont be supported much longer... am i being stupid?

Yes.

You will get at least two full OS upgrades and unless you are playing the really advanced games you'll have apps to choose from for a while. The iPad 3 is basically a 2 with a nicer screen and more RAM.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Hi folks-

An update on the extensive use of the ipad 4 thus far:

Again, the retina has sunk in. Now whenever I look at anything non-retina, I don't like it. I don't have a mini here with me (which is a good thing cause I'll sway the other way again!), but for sure, the ipad 4 is a good wise choice.

Now regarding pdf's, I hold my ipad in portrait orientation 99% of the time. I do the same with any ipad mini. If you want to compare, load up any e-brochure from any car manufacturer. You will not like what you see on the ipad mini. on the ipad 4, you don't even need to zoom anything. It's crystal clear! On the ipad mini, it's terrible in portrait and zoom is required in landscape mode.

I have tons of epubs and pdf books to read - and on the ipad 4, portrait orientation is just so natural and you don't have to zoom at all to visually see everything. On the ipad mini, you can't work with it. Zooming is required and on larger high quality PDFs, there is lagging involved to render the image content. So much you can visually see the difference. On the iPad 4, it's nearly .5 seconds on high quality content, not even worth debating!

Overall, I'm quite pleased performance wise of the ipad 4. Still i do not think it is as fast as it should be with the A6 generation hardware. My iPHone 5 is just very very fast/fluid. ON the ipad 4, there is still that dreaded task switching lag and overall UI experience seems to be on par with ipad 2/ipad 3. I do notice wifi and overall multimedia streaming is faster and some websites that have alot of javascript is faster on the ipad 4 enough to see the difference...but if it's a normal web site, you wont' notice much or the speeds seem to be wash between the ipad 2/3/4.

I will say that I still yearn for the ipad mini's size and weight and ergo and just overall discrete form factor you can enjoy using easily. The ipad 4 is heavier by a lot but still, you gotta realize the retina makes up for it. I'm sure they can shave the bezels down on the ipad 5 and reduce weight, but overall, I'm going to stay with the ipad 4 for now. I still enjoy reading in bed lying down (not holding like a book however, but instead laying it down with the edges on the bed; essentially sleeping sideways with it). I watch movies, read content on pdf's and web, do some personal finances with the iPad and yes the mini can do everything (except excel at pdf's compared to the ipad 4) - but I cannot just agree to purchasing the same ipad 2 I sold for such a great loss (more than half).

I need 64GB and LTE - yes, I get to use my iPhone 5 sim inside the LTE ipad 4 (with adapter). I wish it was cheaper, but what you gonna do? Apple is apple.
Would I ever walk back into the store and pick up the mini? You bet I will in a heartbeat; but just not with the current processor specs and even the camera is improved, I dont' think of those items as an incentive. I just cannot pull myself to rebuy the same ipad 2 again. But if it were A6 internals, wow, I don't know, it's like that one girlfriend you use to bang - she was good and you can't help buy always go back to her for booty calls but you know she is not marriage material.

Right now in my life, I need a wife that can do it all - and the ipad 4 is the one!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Hi folks-

Again, the retina has sunk in. Now whenever I look at anything non-retina, I don't like it. I don't have a mini here with me (which is a good thing cause I'll sway the other way again!), but for sure, the ipad 4 is a good wise choice.

Now regarding pdf's, I hold my ipad in portrait orientation 99% of the time. I do the same with any ipad mini. If you want to compare, load up any e-brochure from any car manufacturer. You will not like what you see on the ipad mini. on the ipad 4, you don't even need to zoom anything. It's crystal clear! On the ipad mini, it's terrible in portrait and zoom is required in landscape mode.

I have tons of epubs and pdf books to read - and on the ipad 4, portrait orientation is just so natural and you don't have to zoom at all to visually see everything. On the ipad mini, you can't work with it. Zooming is required and on larger high quality PDFs, there is lagging involved to render the image content. So much you can visually see the difference. On the iPad 4, it's nearly .5 seconds on high quality content, not even worth debating!

Overall, I'm quite pleased performance wise of the ipad 4. Still i do not think it is as fast as it should be with the A6 generation hardware. My iPHone 5 is just very very fast/fluid. ON the ipad 4, there is still that dreaded task switching lag and overall UI experience seems to be on par with ipad 2/ipad 3. I do notice wifi and overall multimedia streaming is faster and some websites that have alot of javascript is faster on the ipad 4 enough to see the difference...but if it's a normal web site, you wont' notice much or the speeds seem to be wash between the ipad 2/3/4.

I will say that I still yearn for the ipad mini's size and weight and ergo and just overall discrete form factor you can enjoy using easily. The ipad 4 is heavier by a lot but still, you gotta realize the retina makes up for it. I'm sure they can shave the bezels down on the ipad 5 and reduce weight, but overall, I'm going to stay with the ipad 4 for now. I still enjoy reading in bed lying down (not holding like a book however, but instead laying it down with the edges on the bed; essentially sleeping sideways with it). I watch movies, read content on pdf's and web, do some personal finances with the iPad and yes the mini can do everything (except excel at pdf's compared to the ipad 4) - but I cannot just agree to purchasing the same ipad 2 I sold for such a great loss (more than half).

I need 64GB and LTE - yes, I get to use my iPhone 5 sim inside the LTE ipad 4 (with adapter). I wish it was cheaper, but what you gonna do? Apple is apple.
Would I ever walk back into the store and pick up the mini? You bet I will in a heartbeat; but just not with the current processor specs and even the camera is improved, I dont' think of those items as an incentive. I just cannot pull myself to rebuy the same ipad 2 again. But if it were A6 internals, wow, I don't know, it's like that one girlfriend you use to bang - she was good and you can't help buy always go back to her for booty calls but you know she is not marriage material.

Right now in my life, I need a wife that can do it all - and the ipad 4 is the one!

Amongst other things besides the screen it is "a good wise choice" to quote you. I cannot help but think after some time there will be regrets with the Mini regardless of how folks now say they don't miss the 3 or 4. Time will tell. The weight and size? Funny how folks lived with it before with no issue. Amazing! :)

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Hi folks-

So it's not possible to read a PDF on the mini without zooming?

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Ill stick with my iPad 4. Reading a website in portrait is actually possible with the retina display whereas the iPad mini is a garbled mess in portrait due to the smaller screen. Even the iPad 2 was more useable in portrait on the web.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
There's no point in arguing mini vs 4. It's all personal preference. If someone has a different opinion than you, so be it. No need to try to convince the person otherwise, or question their purchase. At the end of the day, it's their money and it's their iPad, period, so why do you care?

The size and weight thing IS a tired argument. I went from an iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. Just because I prefer the weight of the iPhone 5 does NOT mean the weight of the 4 has suddenly become an issue.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
There's no point in arguing mini vs 4. It's all personal preference. If someone has a different opinion than you, so be it. No need to try to convince the person otherwise, or question their purchase. At the end of the day, it's their money and it's their iPad, period, so why do you care?

The size and weight thing IS a tired argument. I went from an iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. Just because I prefer the weight of the iPhone 5 does NOT mean the weight of the 4 has suddenly become an issue.

Going from the iPhone 4 to the 5 isn't the same. Technology didn't go backwards in that case and size and weight being the top reason for going with the Mini over the 4 is rather .........

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
So it's not possible to read a PDF on the mini without zooming?

You don't have to zoom anything on either ipad mini or the ipad 4. But if you want to read text, there's no comfortable way to do that naturally on the ipad mini because of the combination of low resolution screen and smaller screen size, the text in pdf is harder to read without zooming.

There's no need to zoom anything if you just want to look at an image in the pdf but to see the actual details, there's NO WAY you don't ZOOM in on an ipad mini vs an ipad retina.

Especially when you use it in portrait like I do all the time, the mini was designed to be held in portrait mode anyway. It just feels natural, while the bigger retina brother is more natural holding it landscape. Bottom line is with the ipad 4, you have the rendering power for large high quality pdf's and the viewing of pdf's on the retina is just second to none. That would be the biggest concern if reading pdf's is your main objective on the ipad mini. I would NOT recommend the mini for pdf viewing - for epub books and web content, it'll do just fine. For high quality pdf's, it's not going to cut it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hi folks-
But if it were A6 internals, wow, I don't know, it's like that one girlfriend you use to bang - she was good and you can't help buy always go back to her for booty calls but you know she is not marriage material.

cannot. believe. you just said that about a computer.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
the mini was designed to be held in portrait mode anyway. It just feels natural, while the bigger retina brother is more natural holding it landscape..

I think this stated backwards, landcape being long side up. Anyway, Mini is a good technical reader in landscape, but you will need to scroll. The ipad in portrait fis ok fpr techincal reading, but it is a little small--being less that 9.7" and text page is 11+"--so it feels a little cramped. Bottom line--neither is perfect for technical reading, and buyers need to make their compromises.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I've had the first two ipads but these were taken back as the screens weren't very good. With the ipad 2, it became more of an issue that I'd pick up the iphone first to use.

With an ipad 3, the retina screen was a game changer. It's still incredible to think of that much resolution in a 9.7" display. During the end of summer, I sold my ATT ipad 3 because I was switching to Verizon (and LTE came live in my area). With the fall ipad rumors, I decided to wait to repurchase.

But along comes a Mini to complicate things. Having had one the past few days, I'm reminded of the first two ipads. The screen is just crap. I'd rather use an iphone 5 than deal with the blurry mess that is the Mini. I'll definitely be returning it when I get a chance.

I haven't gotten around to getting an ipad 4 yet because I'm in no rush but I really don't see the point for a Mini. I'm not really looking for a pad to hold with one hand anyways or be used the way you would an ipod touch. Most times, i just balance the ipad on my lap, prop it up using smartcover, or use a stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.