Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Hi,

In the past I used to use a PC and adobe audition 1.5 for making multi-track recordings. But a few years ago I stopped using PC and made the move to Mac. I really like the platform and want to now get back into recording again! I really need some advice though :)

I intend on getting a new iMac (or maybe a 2012 macbook air, but might not be powerful enough?) when they come out (so I can run Logic Pro 9 - the best daw at price point?) and I am thinking of pairing it with a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 or a Focusrite itrack solo as a usb audio interface (I'm leaning towards the latter so I can use it with my iPad too). Would this be a good choice?

Also am going to get a usb midi keyboard, will the usb interface and midi keyboard play nice together? As in, if I have both plugged in will the midi sounds still come through the usb interface and not the built in sound card?

Thanks

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I intend on getting a new iMac (or maybe a 2012 macbook air, but might not be powerful enough?)

I run Logic on a late 2011 MacBook Air 1.7ghz i5/4gb RAM/256 ssd. It runs great, especially with everything on the fast SSD. The new MBA's will be even better, but I would get 8GB RAM/512GB SSD today (weren't available in 2011).

There has been some talk about USB issues on the newest models, like the ones you're talking about so you should research that. On my machine I have absolutely no USB issues. I use an Alesis iO2 Express which has MIDI for my keyboard as well as two mic (or guitar) inputs. In addition to this I have a Korg nanoKontrol2 control surface connected via USB and two AT2020 USB mics.

All of these play nice together in Logic. I have a 7 port powered USB hub to connect them to one port of my MBA. The other MBA port is connected to the unpowered hub in my Apple Cinema Display, to which an external keyboard/mouse are connected. I was concerned about problems with all this stuff on USB initially but have been pleasantly surprised that it all just works.

I hope Apple hasn't messed this up on the new machines. :)

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Do you know what happens if you plug in a usb audio interface (without midi in/out) and also plug in a midi usb keyboard at the same time.

Does the sound from the midi keyboard from through the usb audio interface?

Thanks

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
It should work, unless the issues I mentioned with the new machines create a problem. My Korg NanoKontrol2 is actually a MIDI device with a USB interface and it works fine with my USB audio interface in both GarageBand and Logic.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would suggest getting an interface that has at least two (i.e., stereo) XLR inputs and perhaps two more line inputs (total of 4 inputs usable at one time).

It's always good to have the extra capacity with which "to grow" later on.

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I would suggest getting an interface that has at least two (i.e., stereo) XLR inputs and perhaps two more line inputs (total of 4 inputs usable at one time).

It's always good to have the extra capacity with which "to grow" later on.

Isn't that a bit much, I can only play one instrument at a time ;)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I don't think two XLR inputs could possibly be considered "too much". If you want to record live music in stereo then you need two inputs. Of if you want to play the guitar and sing you will also want at least two mics. But maybe you will never need to do this kind of thing?

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
I don't think two XLR inputs could possibly be considered "too much". If you want to record live music in stereo then you need two inputs. Of if you want to play the guitar and sing you will also want at least two mics. But maybe you will never need to do this kind of thing?

I never record live music, but I play acoustic guitar and sing at the same time. But usually just use one carefully positioned condenser mic for that that, although most of my recording will be playing in one instrument at a time, building up a multi-track session...

Last edited:

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Do you know what happens if you plug in a usb audio interface (without midi in/out) and also plug in a midi usb keyboard at the same time.

Does the sound from the midi keyboard from through the usb audio interface?

Thanks

It'll work fine.

As for the interface, unless you're looking to use it with an iPad as well, I'd go for the Focusrite 2i2, since it's the same price as the iTrack, has two XLR's, is still bus-powered, etc.

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
It'll work fine.

As for the interface, unless you're looking to use it with an iPad as well, I'd go for the Focusrite 2i2, since it's the same price as the iTrack, has two XLR's, is still bus-powered, etc.

Thats good!

I am now leaning towards getting a high end mac mini as it has a faster processor and is easier to upgrade than a iMac.

Im still torn on the usb audio interface to get though...

Would any interface be able to input into an iOS device using this iRig which I already own?

Thanks

wdnewman

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Sunny South
1 xlr?

I would strongly recommend that you spring for a MINIMUM of 2 XLRs on your digital interface. I have two and am now sorry that I did not get more. It is always good to have options to expand.
And oh yeah: The mini Mac is a super little unit for Logic Pro 9, especially if you want be semi-portable with your studio.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Thats good!

I am now leaning towards getting a high end mac mini as it has a faster processor and is easier to upgrade than a iMac.

Im still torn on the usb audio interface to get though...

Would any interface be able to input into an iOS device using this iRig which I already own?

Thanks

I am confused as to why you'd want to use the iRig, if you've got a USB interface. The USB interface will be far better quality.

neodrew

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Dallas, TX

I never record live music, but I play acoustic guitar and sing at the same time. But usually just use one carefully positioned condenser mic for that that, although most of my recording will be playing in one instrument at a time, building up a multi-track session...

If your guitar/vocal recording into the single mic is simply as a guide track, that's fine, but if you want to use the guitar and/or vocal at all in your final track, I'd suggest getting an interface with two XLRs so you can mic the guitar and your voice separately. You'll get much better results, much cleaner sound to work with, and you'll get control over each instrument in your mix.

16bit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
What mic should you use for guitar (if you want to record acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time)?

I have a condenser mic for the vocals...

BigRed1

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2011
Room to grow is important. You may want to stereo mic that guitar in addition to the vocals. If you want to mic a condensor and dynamic mic, you'll need to make sure you can have phantom power on only selected tracks (it drives me nuts when phantom power is all-or-none on pairs of tracks).

I hate to up sell you, but I don't want you to waste money on something just to spend more money just a bit down the road.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.