Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coreymlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Portland, OR
I want an iMac for home tasks as well as the ability to do my imaging from home. I work for Nike and have a nice Macbook Pro with a display at work but I want to be able to use my iMac as a display to run my Macbook as well as for personal stuff like music editing, video and photo editing, and typical every day tasks

Here are the different setups I'm looking at:

27" 2.9GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

27" 3.2GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

21.5" 3.1GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

This is assuming RAM is upgradable on the iMacs. Has that been confirmed? If so what would be the best setup for running Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, and other similar programs?

biggles3500

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2012
The ram is only upgradeable on the 27" iMac and he rest is up too how much money you are willing to lay down on a computer, bearing in mind the higher spec model will probably last a bit longer. The cpu on both should be fine for music editing with logic as my i5 iMac from 2009 runs it very well, but I don't use Photoshop so I don't know about that.

coreymlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Portland, OR
I want an iMac for home tasks as well as the ability to do my imaging from home. I work for Nike and have a nice Macbook Pro with a display at work but I want to be able to use my iMac as a display to run my Macbook as well as for personal stuff like music editing, video and photo editing, and typical every day tasks

Here are the different setups I'm looking at:

27" 2.9GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

27" 3.2GHz i5, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

21.5" 3.1GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion

This is assuming RAM is upgradable on the iMacs. Has that been confirmed? If so what would be the best setup for running Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, and other similar programs?

The most expensive one you can afford.
You will never regret.

The ram is only upgradeable on the 27" iMac and he rest is up too how much money you are willing to lay down on a computer, bearing in mind the higher spec model will probably last a bit longer. The cpu on both should be fine for music editing with logic as my i5 iMac from 2009 runs it very well, but I don't use Photoshop so I don't know about that.

The one I was thinking of was option #2. With my education discount it comes out to $1924. The 21" with the i7 is $1804. To me, the bigger screen is worth $120 more and I imagine the difference between a 3.2GHz i5 and a 3.1GHz i7 isn't going to be very noticeable. Also, if the RAM is only upgradable on the 27" that pretty much locks me into that one. As far as the higher end models of the 27", it simply is too much more money for slightly faster processors and graphics cards which don't matter to me much.

Also, if an i5 iMac runs Logic well then I imagine it would run photoshop pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.