Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Despite all of the negative comments about the iMac and how Windows 8 PCs will be great. Well they may be, but at what price? Comparable build quality and components for a similar 27" Win 8 touch screen PC will be in the $2300 price range. This isn't a phone or a tablet, its a device that I'll be using for productivity - and for that the base model 27" iMac rules at $1800.

Windows 8 is a turd plain and simple until MSFT fixes it with Windows 9.

Anyone praising Windows 8 will never realize the total power of UNIX and never mind the quality of materials this iMac provides.

It's the same argument people who go out and buy a wireless router/switch and say they are on par with the Airport Extreme Base Station when all one has to do is look at the build of any third party next to the Airport EBS and it's not even close.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Or this...

...which is the second time I've posted this picture today, in response to the same tired argument.

Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

There will be a time and a place. Niche machines with the features you describe have been around for years. However, Microsoft is betting that 2012/2013 is when touchscreen desktops become mainstream. Apple is betting that now is not the time. I tend to agree with Apple as far as desktops are concerned. Most users don't need touchscreen desktops right now, and they don't really add much now.

Notebooks may be a different story. It will be interesting to see how the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 Ultrabooks fare over the next year or so. They could potentially replace 10" tablet devices as the road warrior machine of choice, though I think that the 7-8" tablets such as the iPad mini will exist as a separate device for a lot longer.

If Apple does add touch capabilities to OS X, it will be to the MacBook line first, not the iMac, and likely as a specialty product. That's my prediction.

----------

What---no more firewire?

That's been Apple's direction as of late. There's the $29 Thunderbolt Firewire 800 adapter now.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's why Dell's computer has special stand that folds. It does not go completely horizontal but it folds like this:

And why exactly is that useful? To me all this touchscreen everywhere is just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Same with all these convertible laptops. I'll be curious to see how well this stuff sells over traditional laptops and AIO's.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
No, it's non_american governments that that have a thing for screwing their citizens with purchase tax. I'm not sure what sales tax is in the US, but here in Switzerland it's about 8%. In some EU countries it's anything up to 25%.

Don't get angry with Apple, they don't collect or benefit from the tax. Greece does.

Sales tax depends on where you live. In a few states, it's 0%. In most states it is between 6-10%.

Renzatic

Suspended
On the other hand, I am a dirt nazi when it comes to my display. I even get a little frustrated with my iPad when it gets too greasy from fingerprints. I think I would have a seizure if my main display was constantly covered in fingerprints. But, time will tell. With the increasing "Back to the Mac" stuff I won't be surprised if Apple includes touch screens at some point.

Ha! I'm probably even worse than you are. Since I got my iPad and iPhone, I walk around everywhere with a little silk cloth in my pocket to wipe all my stuff down with. I hate finger smoo so much. If I could get away with it without anyone making fun of me, I'd probably wear mittens all the time to keep from greasing up my screens.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Or this...

...which is the second time I've posted this picture today, in response to the same tired argument.

Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

There is absolutely a reason as I mentioned above. The head-down position is terrible for your neck and back.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It's called VAT. Blame your government.

Hmm. $2599 + 19% VAT does not equal $3444.79. There is a difference of some $351, which is usually called the "Apple Tax" in these parts.

Apple is now pricing with the VAT and that varies with the country on top of the European Union taxes.

As a European living in the EU I am intrigued by these "European Union Taxes" of which you speak. Please elaborate.

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
Eventually the iMac will just be a piece of glass with imbedded circuitry so you can view what's displayed from both sides. Just like the movies. ;)

For now, this new iMac is the hottest looking all-in-one computer. :cool:

sinitry23

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Are all four memory slots located in the back near the power cord? Would it make sense to purchase the 27 iMac with 8gb of memory and upgrade my self to save money?

Renzatic

Suspended
There will be a time and a place. Niche machines with the features you describe have been around for years. However, Microsoft is betting that 2012/2013 is when touchscreen desktops become mainstream. Apple is betting that now is not the time. I tend to agree with Apple as far as desktops are concerned. Most users don't need touchscreen desktops right now, and they don't really add much now.

Notebooks may be a different story. It will be interesting to see how the Surface Pro and other Windows 8 Ultrabooks fare over the next year or so. They could potentially replace 10" tablet devices as the road warrior machine of choice, though I think that the 7-8" tablets such as the iPad mini will exist as a separate device for a lot longer.

If Apple does add touch capabilities to OS X, it will be to the MacBook line first, not the iMac, and likely as a specialty product. That's my prediction.

I sorta agree. I don't ever see touch taking off for the desktops in the consumer market....at least not anytime in the immediate future. It'd be a nice thing to have, but it's not exactly necessary for anyone except graphics artists, drafters, ect. ect. Most people would be using a desktop with a touch screen about the same as they would a desktop with a mouse.

For laptops? Hell, why not? Your hands are already within 6 inches of the screen anyway, and we're already gearing OSes up to take advantage of it. The only thing it'll cost is a tiny extra bit of money.

Last edited:

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
That's why Dell's computer has special stand that folds. It does not go completely horizontal but it folds like this:

Even with that design your arms have to float freely rather than resting on the flat surface. When you have to have your arms in front of you with your forearms elevated your whole arm and back have to work rather than just your hand.

Also the benefit of a mouse is that you can make the pointer move a much greater distance with only a slight move of the hand. So small movements generate much more efficiency and you can get nearly pixel accurate clicking with far less time taken.

I could go on and on but it's all fairly logical if you think about it.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
As a European living in the EU I am intrigued by these "European Union Taxes" of which you speak. Please elaborate.

Don't waste your time with them; Americans are scared by their government in to believing we're all oppressed under enormous tax regimes.

If you scare people in to believing that taxes are evil, the government is neutered and can't do anything to help people from the vulture capitalists.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Or this...

Now I start thinking Windows is heading in the right direction...

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I sorta agree. I don't ever see touch taking off for the desktops in the consumer market....at least not anytime in the immediate future. It'd be a nice thing to have, but it's not exactly necessary for anyone except graphics artists, drafters, ect. ect. Most people would be using a desktop with a touch screen about the same as they would a desktop with a mouse.

For laptops? Hell, why not? Your hands are already within 6 inches of the screen anyway, and we're already gearing OSes up to take advantage of it. The only thing it'll cost is a tiny extra bit of money. No reason not to.

Touch screen is even worse for graphic artists and drafters because you need to be able to quickly make pixel perfect clicks and drags with out missing 3 times with your big finger in the way of what you are trying to see to click on.

Example:
I have the iDraw app on my iPad retina which is a drawing program that uses vector style graphics. It is a great app and would be really powerful but its extremely difficult to use because you have to be able to touch an object that's only two or three pixels wide. It's really hard unless you zoom way in. Takes about 10 min to do what would take 2 min to do if I had a mouse.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Hmm. $2599 + 19% VAT does not equal $3444.79. There is a difference of some $351, which is usually called the "Apple Tax" in these parts.

Only thing I can come with is import duties, since all of Apple's finished goods are imported in China. According to the Internet, German import duties are anywhere between zero and 17%, depending on the item / item category.

globalhemp

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2006
United States
No CD/DVD Drive

If you want to install software from DVD, rip music from a CD, or burn a DVD for grandma, you'll need to purchase a SuperDrive.

The 1st iMac to not include a CD/DVD drive. It also does not have FireWire (which is not a problem for me).

This is in addition to Apple dropping iDVD.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
No, it's non_american governments that that have a thing for screwing their citizens with purchase tax. I'm not sure what sales tax is in the US, but here in Switzerland it's about 8%. In some EU countries it's anything up to 25%.

Don't get angry with Apple, they don't collect or benefit from the tax. Greece does.

It's called VAT. Blame your government.

It's the taxes by the euro governments. Not Apple's fault.

I was saying that, even without VAT and every tax in the book, the EU price is still bloated in comparison with the US one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.