Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

offwidafairies

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Just some random thoughts on speed. In addition to my iMac 27" I have a Hackintosh that has an i7 2600k, which is the same processor as in the iMac, but unlocked for overclocking. Stock, it gets the same GB score as does my iMac (obvious). I have been able to OC it to a score of 15000+, but as it gets up there it gets slightly unstable. I am now back to running it stock.

The reason I took it back is that the only time it made any difference was when I was using handbrake to encode a video. And then, it was not that huge of a difference and I was always worried that I would KP in the middle. My point is, for most of us (granted there are some of you who have edge case usage needs) you would never notice 15% or even 25% speed increases in 90+% of what you are doing. I keep a little app in my menu bar that shows how the machines is using the cores and, my iMac is barely moving the menus during typical computer use (word processing, browsing, listening to music).

I am a benchmark junkie as much as anyone, but really, I think it's mostly for bragging rights. It's similar to talking about how many horse power your Ferrari has. It likely won't get you from your house to work much faster than someone's Prius since you don't have a chance to use those horses. Now if you're a racer, it's a different story.

True, when I use my computer for word processing, browsing etc, it only uses 1-5% of CPU. But processing music, video or graphics pushes it to the edge, and I am not a patient person. I'm looking forward to this upgrade.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Or even an inch thicker.
You know, so that form doesn't cripple function for twice the price.
It's a freakin' desktop. Limp wristed pansies doen't have to carry it around. :rolleyes:

What components?

The fastest desktop CPU and GPUs available instead of gimped mobile junk
that gets too hot and throttles down 50% under heavy loads.
2-3X faster and less expensive.

That was easy. Magic.
The iMac uses desktop CPUs.
The iMac has had mobile GPUs for quite some time, so it's unreasonable to expect them to have even fit a desktop GPU in to the previous model.
Do you have personal experience or testing with this model getting hot and throttling down 50%?

Do not misinterpret me, I was stunned by the thinness of the new iMac, but damn, I preferred it was still fat but that it ran like 40% faster
Where the hell is everyone getting these percentages from??

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Geekbench is kind of horrible in this regard. I always wished they had a separate test that begins measurements after a couple minutes of stress testing.
I look forward to reading all of the "helpful advice" that we will see in the months to come because of this rather misguided article.

----------

The Mac Mini is the better buy, buy far. Even if you add a SSD, 16gb Ram, and a display, or even a Thunderbolt display. The mini is a better buy hands down.

The imac gpu is better on the imacs. But CPU wise the Mini's are as fast.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/1226743

NO, they are not. *beats head into the wall*

It's already started. :rolleyes:

Geekbench shows a similar score and to you it means that it's just as fast for all users? I give up.

LJB

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Not Necessarily Faster

The fastest new 21 inch iMac (2012) is not necessarily faster then the previous fastest iMac from mid 2011.

I have a mid 2011 iMac with the Intel Core 7 (second iMac listed on the graphic) and I just ran the current Geekbench test and received a score of 12800.

To compare machines over time you have to re-test the old machines with the current software. Both OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and a newer version of Geekbench have come out since the iMac mid 2011 was first released and tested. My results were slower on Lion (10.7) and the older version of Geekbench.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Geekbench shows a similar score and to you it means that it's just as fast for all users? I give up.

This reminds me of the people who wonder why ram or an ssd didn't increase their geekbench scores. Someone should explain the exaggerated impact of hyperthreading on benchmarks relative to actual use.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Year to year they don't normally have a huge jump in CPU speed but for someone like me using a 2005 G5 Tower this will be a huge improvement, as it will be for anyone with an iMac more than 3 years old.

Can't wait to see the test for the 27" with i7, Fusion and top video card.

Suddenly my 'pro' G5 is looking so much older.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
So in exchange for more money, we get slightly faster performance which will be invisible to almost EVERY user of an iMac, no optical drive, a non-user upgradable machine, and a new design that values form over function.

In short, the new iMac joins the Macbook Air and the retina Macbook Pro as a disposable computer.

Apple, in my view, needs to get over its obsession with thinness.

And why, given the weight reduction and the elimination of the optical drive, does it cost MORE?

are you saying that you want a 40 lb iMac with desktop components then? cause it would be a lot faster if iMacs weren't using laptop graphics.

CosmoCopus

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Make your own computer. I made my own gaming computer and it comes out cheap. I store it in my closet when not in use so only apple products are in view when someone walks into my room (serious)

I think it's time you came out of the closet ...lol

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This reminds me of the people who wonder why ram or an ssd didn't increase their geekbench scores. Someone should explain the exaggerated impact of hyperthreading on benchmarks relative to actual use.

I really wish that MR would stop highlighting GB scores as if they are the gospel and the all-encompassing indicator of Mac performance. Even a small disclaimer at the botton of the article would be a start.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I really wish that MR would stop highlighting GB scores as if they are the gospel and the all-encompassing indicator of Mac performance. Even a small disclaimer at the botton of the article would be a start.

That would be nice. I don't think X86 core speed should be the big point of focus here. The imacs now have the option of leveraging CUDA, which wouldn't have been possible with any of the older ones. The display implementation is different. Implementation can make a bigger difference at times than panel technology. You gain usb3. There are interesting points without focusing on drag racing cache loads (ripping off another of deconstruct's lines, because they're funny).

ryanduff

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
but not as good as it COULD be.

Like allot of apple products, as great as this is just one more step and this would be a AWSOME product. The same generation i7 comes with a 6 core version. As a video /3d /post user i would have payed more money to get those 2 extra cores. I would have payed even MORE if i had those 6 cores in my new MBPr. But again apple has CHOSEN to be a step behind the PC market, by leaning more CONSUMER then PRO.

That said I am very happy with this new generation of Ivy Bridge products from Apple.

chrisrayb

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
No optical drive. CLEARLY a deal breaker. Especially after I found out it doesn't support floppy disks. I mean come on... :rolleyes:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Like allot of apple products, as great as this is just one more step and this would be a AWSOME product. The same generation i7 comes with a 6 core version. As a video /3d /post user i would have payed more money to get those 2 extra cores. I would have payed even MORE if i had those 6 cores in my new MBPr. But again apple has CHOSEN to be a step behind the PC market, by leaning more CONSUMER then PRO.

That said I am very happy with this new generation of Ivy Bridge products from Apple.

Okay so I'm kind of haunting the thread to a degree, but it interests me. I've explained the reason we wouldn't see a 6 core imac before. They do not use the same chipsets or socket type. The 3930k is a Sandy Bridge E variant. It pulls up to 130W and uses the LGA2011 socket type. It's also likely not compatible with Apple's thunderbolt implementation due to the lack of integrated graphics which they currently use. The 3770 pulls up to 77W and uses the LGA1155 socket. As far as I'm concerned, the Sandy Bridge E variant was never even a contender. Next year the Ivy Bridge E5s won't change anything in this regard. They'll still be using that socket, and they still lack integrated graphics. I don't see Apple making an additional design to accommodate that single cpu. A better solution would be to offer a more competitive base configuration in the mac pro.

I should add that I understand your concerns, and I know how resource hungry some of those programs can be.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
quad can easily beat octo in lots of situations

Oh, do you now?

So how is it that a 4 core is faster than an 8 core? Please. Do tell.

OH YOU KNOW! JUST CUZ!

Come on, Renzy, you should know better than this.

The fundamental reason that a quad could beat an octo is that much software cannot (or doesn't) scale past a few cores. Sometimes this can be addressed by rewriting the software - but often the algorithms (that is, the problems) have serial dependencies that inherently limit the amount of parallelism that is possible.

So, if you have one of the common problems that doesn't scale past four real cores (ignore hyperthreading, it's often useless or worse), you may note that:

• single-socket systems often have a higher clock rate the multi-socket systems
  • octo-core currently must be multi-socket (no octo Core CPUs)
  • multi-socket systems have NUMA, so performance can suffer

So a 3.4 GHz quad Imac could trounce a 2.4 GHz duodeco Mac Pro on many applications.

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Or even an inch thicker.
You know, so that form doesn't cripple function for twice the price.
It's a freakin' desktop. Limp wristed pansies doen't have to carry it around. :rolleyes:

What components?

The fastest desktop CPU and GPUs available instead of gimped mobile junk
that gets too hot and throttles down 50% under heavy loads.
2-3X faster and less expensive.

That was easy. Magic.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Apple could have made it 2-3x faster AND less expensive, simply by making it fatter? How? What CPU could they have used? Like..actually name the model please. And GPU? Good luck ever fitting a full sized desktop GPU into an All-in-One. The 680MX option in the 27" by all accounts is pretty damn good. Even so, a GTX 680 (full sized desktop version) isn't going to be 2-3 times faster, and certainly not LESS expensive.

All this complaining about the new iMac is SO dumb.
They took out the optical drive, a move anyone with half a brain saw coming MONTHS ago. 10-15% performance gain in the CPU compared to last year? Well...yes, that was known and expected pretty much since Ivy Bridge was announced. News Flash! ALL 2012 COMPUTERS RUNNING IVY BRIDGE CPU'S SAW A 10-15% IMPROVEMENT OVER LAST YEAR!

So they took out the optical drive which apparently some professionals need for work. You can't adapt to new technologies? Or shock...buy an external drive to go along with your thousands of dollars in equipment? Why should everyone else be lumped with a component most of us don't use anymore?

So let's summarise:
2012 Model has:
- Faster CPU's
- USB 3 vs USB 2
- Much better GPU's
- Option of Fusion Drive storage
- By some accounts MORE user upgradeable than previous iMac's
- Thinner and lighter

and apparently Apple has failed? Riiiiiight.

Renzatic

Suspended
Come on, Renzy, you should know better than this.

The fundamental reason that a quad could beat an octo is that much software cannot (or doesn't) scale past a few cores. Sometimes this can be addressed by rewriting the software - but often the algorithms (that is, the problems) have serial dependencies that inherently limit the amount of parallelism that is possible.

So, if you have one of the common problems that doesn't scale past four real cores (ignore hyperthreading, it's often useless or worse), you may note that:

• single-socket systems often have a higher clock rate the multi-socket systems
  • octo-core currently must be multi-socket (no octo Core CPUs)
  • multi-socket systems have NUMA, so performance can suffer

So a 3.4 GHz quad Imac could trounce a 2.4 GHz duodeco Mac Pro on many applications.

Yup. I kinda semi clarified myself a couple posts afterwards.

Any usual application that's limited to a certain amount of cores, the current gen iMac would stomp on the Pro. In that situation, individual core performance is far more important.

But any application that can leverage (I've been using this word a lot today) multiple CPUs, such as rendering or video editing, the slower, older architecture of the Pro can still beat the iMac.

My argument was that the Pro is still better than the iMac at the things the Pro is generally used for.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

Any usual application that's limited to a certain amount of cores, the current gen iMac would stomp on the Pro. In that situation, individual core performance is far more important.

But any application that can leverage (I've been using this word a lot today) multiple CPUs, such as rendering or video editing, the slower, older architecture of the Pro can still beat the iMac.

My argument was that the Pro is still better than the iMac at the things the Pro is generally used for.

Accepted without question.

Except for the people who buy a Mac Pro to do stuff that a 2007 MacBook could easily handle, because they want to show off. ;)

One of my Thanksgiving recipes called for "semi-clarified butter"....

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Two things I've noticed about the new iMac.

1. If you want a gigabyte of graphics you have to get the high end 27" iMac and if you want the 2GB graphics you have to get the high end model.

2. the 21" come with 5400rpm HDs whereas the 27" comes with 7200rpm HDs. Its seems that one the 21" I can't upgrade to a HD with 7200rpm. Again I'd have to go with the 27"

So basically if I wanted a 21" I have to settle for less then what I want in terms of specs. Is this cause the iMac is so thin now or is Apple being cheap in trying to force people to get the higher end models??

trondah

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2008
Seriously, people claiming it's "crippled" because no optical drive... USB3 anyone? Thunderbolt? Add whatever you need. And what's this whining about temperature when nobody has got it yet?

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
I look forward to reading all of the "helpful advice" that we will see in the months to come because of this rather misguided article.

----------

You can beat your head against the wall all you want. Never said it's as fast for all users. Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that you did.

For most tasks, the processor in the Mini is on par with their desktop counterparts. Geekbench aside, that is a fact. I said the mini is the better buy, when the performance is almost the same save for the GPU. And it's cheaper. You can order from Apple a 2.6 i7 mini, with a SSD and add your 16GB ram for $1200 out the door. Add a monitor and it's the better buy in my opinion. You're getting a machine that can perform on par with the high end imac for alot less. Even add a thunderbolt display and it's still less.

There isn't as much distinction between desktop and laptop CPU's as much as years past. Thermal constraints have blurred the lines for performance. Process is the same, thermal designs are only separated by as little as 20W for mainstream desktop parts and laptop parts. Higher end desktop parts(xeon) no there isn't a equal laptop part. As they require higher wattage.

Desktop CPU thermal and wattage is more in line with laptop parts than high end Xeon parts. Next year the line between laptop and desktop performance will be almost non-existent for mainstream CPU's for Haswell.

37, 47, 57W thermal design power (TDP) mobile processors.
35, 45, 55, 65, 77, and ~100W+ (high-end) TDP desktop processors

Now take a aspirin. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.