Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
As a European living in the EU I am intrigued by these "European Union Taxes" of which you speak. Please elaborate.
- 2 year vs. 1 year minimum warranty
- Higher transportation costs due to higher gas taxes
- Higher retail and transport costs due to higher minimum employee benefits. (For example, US companies do not have to offer paid vacation or health care)
- Higher retail costs due to generally shorter opening hours at stores
- I am not sure how import tariffs compare
- Higher marketing and compliance costs due to smaller language and regulatory jurisdictions (not exactly a tax, but still). For example, many EU countries have different electricity outlets plugs, France outlaws discounting on books, Greece limits the number of trucks licensed for transportation to create an artificial shortage, yet companies are generally forced to use the same price in different euro zone countries.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
Or this...

...which is the second time I've posted this picture today, in response to the same tired argument.

Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

You only change one problem to another with those kind of tilted screens. Instead of being unergonomic for your arms these screens are bad for your neck, since you have to constantly look down towards the screen. A screen is supposed to have the upper edge in the same height as your eyes to be ergonomic.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
You only change one problem to another with those kind of tilted screens. Instead of being unergonomic for your arms these screens are bad for your neck, since you have to constantly look down towards the screen. A screen is supposed to have the upper edge in the same height as your eyes to be ergonomic.

You can tilt it vertically as well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
. . . having made the iMac too thin to properly do the job. But hey it's about the fashion statement anyway.

Is it really that huge of an issue for the masses. Most of them are using an idevice or similar as their camera anyway. Frankly Apple could have probably just dropped the slot all together

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Windows 8 might not be able to "realize the total power of UNIX", whatever that might mean, but on my Mac Pro 3.2 quad it is amazingly more responsive than Mountain Lion. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a big Mac fan but W8 really moves. While W8 Geekbench scores are only a little faster than ML's on Cinebench it's no contest.

In the end it's all about what applications you want to use. Obviously an iPhoto, FaceTime, Aperture fan will need to use Mac OS. For a gamer or Photoshop user Windows would work better.

Did you ever run Windows 7 on that computer? I have both Windows 7 and Mountain Lion on my computer, and I think it's about the same. Well, OS X is faster because I have it on an SSD, but I didn't have that before. OS X really needs a quick hard drive to feel snappy. That plus Apple should (and hopefully will) do something about the filesystem (HFS+) which I think needs to be overhauled or replaced.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

Yes there is. The operating system isn't written with direct touch manipulation in mind. Time will tell if Windows 8's "no compromise" interface will succeed. If it did then that means a simple overlay akin to "Metro" on top of OS X would succeed. (I doubt either would/will succeed)

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
The point is the option is there if you want it. I have an iPad in a stand next to my monitor, and often after tapping on it find myself tapping on the Mac's screen - not so much because it's comfortable, but it's the natural action under the circumstances and intentions. If having a touchscreen entails negligible (if not zero) cost & space, why not have it? there if you want it, don't use it if you don't.

you only quoted the first line of my post. in my last, i said in the case that users have to forego the use of keyboard/mouse and rely on touch completely.

touchscreen entails cost, of course: R&D, materials, production. it's not zero cost.

Renzatic

Suspended

It depends on how you're setting, how you have it angled, and where you have it positioned. A tilted touchscreen isn't automatically any worse for your neck than a traditional upright monitor.

The way I'd picture it on my desk, the only difference would be that I'd have to angle my eyes down a little more to use it in comparison to the upright monitor I have now.

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Touchscreen on a desktop is possibly one of the dumbest ideas ever. No one wants to be lifting their arms at work for hours on end. Talk about soreness and muscle fatigue! It's a novelty gimick only. Its in no way practical. Mouse is still the fastest interface with current OSs and screen positioning. The only way touch screen is practice is when the screen is in your hands or near your hands like on a flat surface directly in front of you. Then you have a head down position which will cause even more back and neck problems.

It's not practical.
Putting a touchscreen OS (win8) on a desktop is the dumbest idea ever. That's why I am ditching the PC and ordered myself an iMac 27".

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
I don't think I'd want a touchscreen on my desktop. Would be bad for the arms on a 27" screen. Even with it tilted your arms would have to fly around everywhere to touch things. Not to mention finger prints/smears, and the lack of the ability to hover over things like with a mouse cursor. (unless you use a stylus with a button on it for clicking or something)

Just my opinion anyways...

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
All a company has to do is release an AIO that comes with an SSD as part of the standard configuration and it will make the standard configuration iMacs feel like archaic machines.

I can't believe Apple is shipping new computers with the OS residing on a spinning HD. SSD are cheap enough.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem too ergonomic to have a touchscreen for a desktop. a tablet.. yes.. but desktop my arms would have to keep hovering in the air frequently to do tasks if i were to really forego the traditional keyboard/mouse

Yup...please email MS and let them know. Metro sux on desktop.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The bulge on the back looks pretty bad directly from the side, but it's not an angle you frequently look from. It looks great from the front. I still like the original iMac G5 design the best, both in looks and because it's more user-serviceable than a typical tower PC in some ways.

----------

"FROM THAT ANGLE it's incredibly thin .."

Well how about from THIS angle :p

Yeah, it's pretty funny how you go to Apple.com, and they only show the iMac from angles where you can't see the thick part.

Wouldn't it be thinner overall if they just made it square like on the older G5 models? That bulgy shape can't be optimal for a computer.

----------

Only place they could put it.

Well they shouldn't have designed it in a way that would cause this problem! A thin design with a bulge on the back doesn't work and looks good from most angles but looks terrible from the side.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
It's not really as thin as apple made it out to be!

It's got a big bulge in the back. Lmao.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I can't help but think that I can undercut apple here and make a profit. Wanna do business??

It's probably the taxes, and I doubt you can legally sell American iMacs in Europe without paying them. But eBay transactions seem to somehow ignore tax... I don't know how that works.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Why will the time be right when Apple does it? Will Apple have a less awkward way to use touch on a desktop monitor?

Definitely not. A touchscreen laptop might work, but anything with a big screen is annoying by definition if it is a touch screen. Even if the touch screen is perfect and always does what you want it to, you can move your mouse cursor with only your wrist. It's like a Wii vs a Gamecube. I guess putting a touch screen on an iMac wouldn't hurt and could at least rarely be useful, but it would cost more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.