Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desmotesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
As a new member I would just like to point out that the Marketplace rule (restricting new member access to the marketplace) although understandable and a good starting point, is actually completely counter productive.

The rule itself makes sense, but the length of restriction is simply too long.

I have recently bought myself a 17" MBP and am looking for several accessories, Apps etc etc.

Instead of being able to buy from fellow MBP owners and fans, I am expected to either WAIT for 6 months, or make 250 posts (which isn't easy if you have a life outside of MR). All the while, my 2nd option is to "trust" Ebay scammers IF I want to buy preowned items.

Pay sites like Paypal offer very good fraud protection.

It is my humble opinion that members (old and new) would benefit more from the market place if new members were allowed to shop MUCH earlier than 6 months or 250 posts. I DO agree with a LONG restriction on Selling by new members but buying FROM old members should not be restricted.

Mods: I hope my rant made SOME sense and I hope you guys reconsider.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
As a new member I would just like to point out that the Marketplace rule (restricting new member access to the marketplace) although understandable and a good starting point, is actually completely counter productive.

The rule itself makes sense, but the length of restriction is simply too long.

I have recently bought myself a 17" MBP and am looking for several accessories, Apps etc etc.

Instead of being able to buy from fellow MBP owners and fans, I am expected to either WAIT for 6 months, or make 250 posts (which isn't easy if you have a life outside of MR). All the while, my 2nd option is to "trust" Ebay scammers IF I want to buy preowned items.

Pay sites like Paypal offer very good fraud protection.

It is my humble opinion that members (old and new) would benefit more from the market place if new members were allowed to shop MUCH earlier than 6 months or 250 posts. I DO agree with a LONG restriction on Selling by new members but buying FROM old members should not be restricted.

Mods: I hope my rant made SOME sense and I hope you guys reconsider.

You may want to read through this thread of ours as it will address your concerns.

Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum

desmotesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
You may want to read through this thread of ours as it will address your concerns.

Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum

I read the thread (although not every post) and I understand the concerns.

That said, allowing new/untrusted members to BUY in the market place would be a good idea. No risk to older/trusted members as every pay-site offers Fraud protection etc and it wil alow new members to benefit from hand me downs of the older members.

Just my 2 cents

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I read the thread (although not every post) and I understand the concerns.

That said, allowing new/untrusted members to BUY in the market place would be a good idea. No risk to older/trusted members as every pay-site offers Fraud protection etc and it wil alow new members to benefit from hand me downs of the older members.

Just my 2 cents

There is always risk involved no matter if one is the buyer or seller and we don't have a fraud protection system, but rely on the honor system.

The site admins and moderators put a lot of work into the Marketplace rules in the update from 2008 and it's not going to change as far as I can see.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I agree. I wasn't even aware that there was a marketplace until a member mentioned it.

Not that I'm in a rush but it would be nice if it was accessible a little "earlier". 250 posts isn't impossible for me but I feel bad for those who have to wait out the six months.

desmotesta

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
There is always risk involved no matter if one is the buyer or seller and we don't have a fraud protection system, but rely on the honor system.

The site admins and moderators put a lot of work into the Marketplace rules in the update from 2008 and it's not going to change as far as I can see.

understood. Figured I should at least ask.

Guess I will just have to wait 6 months.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
There were problems in the past so the current requirements were made to protect all members.

The marketplace is not a primary function of MacRumors, rather a useful bonus for established members.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
understood. Figured I should at least ask.

Guess I will just have to wait 6 months.

No harm in asking at all. :)

Just participate with good conversation in the various forums and you'll hit the post count in no time and six months will go by before you know it.

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
thought so, as i've been a member since '07 and just got my 250th post this month.

@desmotesta get involved :D and btw posting in the political thread doesn't count towards your post count

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
thought so, as i've been a member since '07 and just got my 250th post this month.

@desmotesta get involved :D and btw posting in the political thread doesn't count towards your post count

There are several forums that don't count and posting only to raise post count will result in deleted posts.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
I read through the posts linked and the rules and I feel that the OP is correct. The restrictions are a quite over the top solution to a minor problem. I think the guidelines should be reduced.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
FWIW, there have been problems in the MP since the restriction was added. I'd be interested to see if there is any data on the number of issues before and after the restriction was put in place.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
FWIW, there have been problems in the MP since the restriction was added. I'd be interested to see if there is any data on the number of issues before and after the restriction was put in place.

Of course nothing will guarantee 100% problem free transactions, but you're right. Maybe Doctor Q or another admin has the data.

But there are members out there calling for the restrictions to be narrowed even further.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
If this was MacMarket, then I'd see your point. But this is a news site and community, that happens to have a place for regular users to buy/share/trade items from other regular users. They could remove the marketplace entirely.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You act like eBay is just a place full of people who don't know what they're doing, or are out to scam you. There are a lot of very good standing sellers there who have been there for pretty much a decade now, and there's a lot of feedback to go by. There are also a lot of people there who would love for someone to just grab their stuff and don't even worry about the money. Sure, there are scammers, but there are also people who don't do their research and buy whatever is the cheapest and then complain when it's not what they thought it was going to be.

It's nice that you want to buy from people here at MR, but don't just be the guy who wants to buy cheap stuff, let us help you be a good Mac user, and voice your opinion on the various things that pop up, whether it be a new product, new app, or new accessory. And share the knowledge with others when they need a hand too. You might not just be an exclusive Apple addict/nerd, but that's why there are also non-tech community discussions aswell. Be a part of our culture here, make friends, speak your mind, get some freebies off developers who post promo codes all the time, and make yourself at home here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.