Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pierrebonho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
Every time I download an image, the image pops up in "Preview", even after i've already quit. This never used to happen and I don't recall changing any settings recently. I cannot find any menus in preview to disable auto-reopen and this popup is driving me INSANE!! I am downloading loads of images for a project. Please HELP!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's an annoying feature of Lion and Mountain Lion. I've found that you just have to 'X' out of the photo's before quitting the application so that they don't open with the app the next time.

pierrebonho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
It's an annoying feature of Lion and Mountain Lion. I've found that you just have to 'X' out of the photo's before quitting the application so that they don't open with the app the next time.

Thanks for the reply...but this did not happen to me until a few days ago. I've had this macbook for almost 2 years and I download images daily. This makes no sense. Is there anyway to just get rid of preview altogether?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the reply...but this did not happen to me until a few days ago. I've had this macbook for almost 2 years and I download images daily. This makes no sense. Is there anyway to just get rid of preview altogether?

Get rid of Preview? Well yes you can delete it from your computer, but I wouldn't recommend that. But you could change the app associations for photos so that they open with another program if you wanted.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

No, preview is part of the system, so you can't just get rid of it.

pierrebonho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
No, preview is part of the system, so you can't just get rid of it.

If I can't remove this, I guess my question is this: how can I disable Preview from popping up every time I download a pic? This can't be rocket science.

I have been searching forums and menus for a few hours and cannot find an answer. This can't be common for every user on the planet? It's a ridiculous thing and annoying as hell. It makes no sense, especially that this is a new thing to me. Someone in mac world must know how to disable this.

Sadly, I'm afraid of getting the familiar apple answer regarding this kind of kink: that's just the way it is, so suck it up LOL. Arrrg.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
There is a setting under Mountain Lion, but it appears to be global to all apps.
General_Preferences.jpg

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If I can't remove this, I guess my question is this: how can I disable Preview from popping up every time I download a pic? This can't be rocket science.

What browser are you using? If it's Safari, open the Safari Preferences window, select the General pane, and at the bottom look for a checkbox: Open "safe" files after downloading. Uncheck that checkbox.

If you're using a different browser, please tell us what it is. They may have a similar setting, but it varies by browser and version.

pierrebonho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
What browser are you using? If it's Safari, open the Safari Preferences window, select the General pane, and at the bottom look for a checkbox: Open "safe" files after downloading. Uncheck that checkbox.

If you're using a different browser, please tell us what it is. They may have a similar setting, but it varies by browser and version.

I'm using Chrome.

----------

There is a setting under Mountain Lion, but it appears to be global to all apps.

Yep saw that menu...it still gives me no option to do what I need.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Also you can set file handling preferences in Chrome, that might be where the problem is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.