Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Cue shut up and take my money pic.

Ahem... as you wished...

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

bbkr

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Upon closer inspection of the pictures it looks like the ram is sticking partially out near the middle of the computer where the iMac is the thickest. This could be very good news. It looks like you can probably wiggle your fingers in between the gap between the ram and the hollow cavity beneath the ram. This would mean that the ram might be replaceable without removing the logic board. From the pictures, it looks like you just have to disconnect one cable that is wrapped around the ram, and you need to remove the central fan to give yourself enough space to get your hands on the ram.

Picture resolution is quite low but I'm almost sure that there are two overlapping slots. It may be not that easy to reach the top one (farther from board edge).

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I repaired quite a few iMac at work. Judging from the images, this generation looks very straightforward to me.

Yep I have done the same, I recently took apart 3 iMacs to replace parts inside and the biggest issue I had was not getting dust trapped between the glass and LCD, now that it is all one unit, only attached with magnets and a cable, no myriad of screws it looks VERY SIMPLE to access and upgrade bits.

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Wow this may be the first iMac in a while where we might be able to replace the HD, the RAM, and the CPU ourselves. Quite shocking coming from Apple, really.

Could this have been Cook's decision?

Imagine if the next iMac is properly upgradable.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Yep I have done the same, I recently took apart 3 iMacs to replace parts inside and the biggest issue I had was not getting dust trapped between the glass and LCD, now that it is all one unit, only attached with magnets and a cable, no myriad of screws it looks VERY SIMPLE to access and upgrade bits.

We bought an iMac repair kit straight from Apple couple years ago, including a roller to clean the screen/glass. In terms of getting inside, the Intel white iMac was among the worst.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Who is going to buy a none fusion iMac and upgrade the msata ssd after purchase? I hope that they will include the msata connector on the none fusion iMacs. I will go for 256gb msata and set up fusion myself.

Has anybody got any experience in replacing the msata on a Mac pro retina?

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
That page seems to have updated with a bit more information throughout the day.

I've just had another look and can see that double sided tape was used instead of magnets, requiring a hot air gun. This is going to be a lot more tricky to do a tidy job with I think.

Can anyone with experience tell me, once heated and unstuck, would the sticky tape need replacing to re-attach?

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Wow this may be the first iMac in a while where we might be able to replace the HD, the RAM, and the CPU ourselves. Quite shocking coming from Apple, really.

HD looks really straightforward to replace, but the RAM and the CPU involve taking out the logic board. That will be a pain as usual, but at least it's possible. I love the new iMac already :)

:confused: you can also change the CPU in previous models, heck even the GPU, i just replaced the HD for 2 SSDs, that can't be done in the new one :(

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I've just had another look and can see that double sided tape was used instead of magnets, requiring a hot air gun. This is going to be a lot more tricky to do a tidy job with I think.

Can anyone with experience tell me, once heated and unstuck, would the sticky tape need replacing to re-attach?

That's news. Waiting to see what iFixit finds.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

It is true damit! :mad:

"This time, because it was fixed with double-sided tape, a hot air gun It was also necessary"

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
It is true damit! :mad:

"This time, because it was fixed with double-sided tape, a hot air gun It was also necessary"

If this is true I'm canceling my order and just wait for the new Mac Pro...I don't want to mess around that much with my Desktop just to replace the harddisk...

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Yeah i seriously thinking about cancelling my order aswell.

I think this is putting me off the order completely. Paying £2000 for a sealed in device. This thing is built like a giant iPad. Arrrgggr why does apple have to do these things. Computers have to be user serviceable.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
MD
yeah I'm not for voiding my warranty on a new machine...if this wasn't the first model of a new design then yes....I figured apple would have gone this route with some type of adhesive. They started doing that with iPads and retina macbook...to good to be true.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Does double sided tape stick back together well, after it's been removed via hot air method? I definitely prefer the magnet route, as it's easier disassemble and no sticky mess to deal with. Apple definitely doesn't want its users fiddling around inside.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Does double sided tape stick back together well, after it's been removed via hot air method? I definitely prefer the magnet route, as it's easier disassemble and no sticky mess to deal with. Apple definitely doesn't want its users fiddling around inside.

No wonder though when you look at their exorbitant upgrade prices.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012

If you look at the images on the first page you will see that once zoomed in part of the tape is on one side of the screen and the majority is left on the aluminum main body with little strips of it ripped off the surface. This is not good news for any sort of easy access to the machine or re-attachment of the screen. Pretty much means that this sealed in machine is none user serviceable and hard to repair for service center's. i fix it is going to give a poor score for this one, I think the 27 will be just the same.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
The screen is definitely held in by some sort of glue or tape. Once i find my heat gun i will try to crack it open.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The screen is definitely held in by some sort of glue or tape. Once i find my heat gun i will try to crack it open.

What are you going to do when it leaves all of that gluey mess around the back edge of the display? It reminds me of the Samsung s3 display removal video. Once that display is removed the tape and glue can never be cleaned off for the new stuff to go down on to. Who wants to do that everytime you need to open the machine which could be three times in its lifetime minimum.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008

Oh my, well that changes everything. If the mere act of opening up the display voids the warranty because of the glue... this machine would not be user serviceable at all :(

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
I'm waiting on a more in-depth tear down guide. I'd only need to open it up once - to put in a 512GB ssd (that cost a fifth of apple's 768GB). As for warranty, it may be a hassle but it's definitely arguable. There are no warranty void stickers unless you remove heatsinks.

Apple's storage options are awful on an otherwise superb machine. If I can't gain access myself then I can either pay £200 to downgrade to a 128GB ssd from my 512GB ssd (which was roughly the same cost), or I can pay a grand to upgrade to a 768GB. Those prices are simply a deal-breaker. :(

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.