Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
SEATTLE,WA
Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth

Last edited:

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?
If you use heavy apps and games then you should get the 5
Also depends on how much money can you save. How much can you save each month/week and how long can you wait?

Seth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
SEATTLE,WA
Depends on what you use your iPod touch for.
So can you tell me what you're going to use it for?

Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Music, instagram, taking pictures, playing games, facebook, probably not gonna watch videos 'cuz I have a laptop, maybe a little recording, keeping logs of my workouts and stuff, maybe surfing the web but not much since again I have a laptop. My birthday is a week before christmas so my grandparents usually send me some money, so I probably will have enough to buy it right after christmas, but again wondering if its smarter to spend less.

I think the new iPod touch is a significant upgrade over the 4th gen. If money is tight thats one thing but if you have the money and don't mind spending it, the 5th gen is definitely worth the extra $100 in my opinion.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hey guys, i can't decide which one to get. My parents said for Christmas they'd buy me a refurbished 32g 4g iTouch since its only $180 off the apple store, or that they could give me money and I'd save up for the new itouch.

Do you think the new iPod Touch is a big enough upgrade that its worth the extra money? or would it be smarter to spend less money and buy the refurbished 4g ipod?
I'm 19 and briefly had an itouch last year before it got stolen, I remember it was cool but only had it a couple weeks so wasn't able to really enjoy it. I think I also remember it would freeze sometimes when I was using apps which was annoying. I'm going off to college in January so want an itouch to listen to music while working out and to use instagram and enjoy all the cool apps.

I don't have the option of having a smartphone either, so the itouch is the only way i can access apps.
Thanks

-Seth

Get the 5th gen.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.

personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.

the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.

having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.

mrskb

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
Get the 5! I had a 4 for some time, and didn't think there would be much difference, but there is. The 4 is fun, but like the commercial says, the 5 is made for funness! (and just for reference, I am 59 years old) :)

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Get the 5th gen. Honestly, there is no comparison, playing with your friends or a store model is one thing. Actually owning it and seeing how it works in day to day usage is another. I also haven't had any issues with bending or the back scratching. I'm pretty sure that issue is limited to the iPhone 5. iOS 6 also runs miles faster. I promise you're going to regret going with the 4th gen not too far down the road.

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012

then get the 5

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I would say definitely save up for the 5th Gen.

The 4th is a bit long-in-the-tooth now and is a lot slower, while the 5th has a much better screen, twice the RAM and a faster processor.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
No contest. Go for the 5. Larger and better screen, great camera with built-in flash, panorama photos, and the wifi signal has a longer range (at least compared to my iPad 2). Hands free control over your music if you get the ear pods with remote and mic.

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
i have a 4G and ive seen the 5G from a friend.

personally, i love the look and feel of the 4G. just like the iphone 5, the 5G looks cheap and prone to scratches and bends.

the 4G supports iOS 6 and for the most part, runs smoothly.

having said that, however, you WILL notice some lag whilst browsing, using some apps or long waiting time as it opens some heavy games. its still excellent for listening to music.

the camera is ****, though. so if taking pics is your thing you really want the 5G.

The 4g back is a lot more scratch prone then the 5G, and I don't think the 5g bends like the iPhone 5 does

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
IPOD 4 is still good for everthing beside web browsing. 256 ram will have the page refreshed all the time if you are opening more than one tab.

I must agree that i like the feel of Touch 4 a lot more because i dont like device being too light or thin. Touch 4, you can get back cover for like $19 to avoid scartches and still make a perfect thickness.

Touch 5 is way faster and bigger screen. For extra $130 if you dont take pictures, it just not worthed. U will also need a case for it since the color came off after time, unless u get a white/silver one.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
I have to say 4G has too tiny RAM and it will frustrate you. Go for 5G for the better experience.

Psycna

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
Get the 5th.

5th gen is the closest iPod to the iPhone.:) I can easily say that the 5th iPod touch is the iPhone without the phone.

carter2

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
It is still a 4th gen model. If you plan on getting a 32 or 64GB black model then you could buy now since it is the same thing. The only reason to wait is to get the white model or the 8GB model for the new $199 price.
If you buy one today the only difference is that it would not come with iOS 5 but you will be able to update to it easily on the 12th.

Seth19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2012
SEATTLE,WA
Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning :D It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one

Androidfan1x

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys, I explained to my parents why the new one was worth the extra money and surprise surprise they gave me a blue 5g this morning :D It's so beautiful, I love it! Very happy I went with the new one

Congrats but did you tell them you want the blue one or they just guessed the color you'd like?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Don't waste your money on a 4th gen. They are so slow and laggy and don't have enough ram.

This, seriously. I have a 64GB model, and while it's useable for the most part, I can't believe I had to wait for the Music app to bring up a list for 50GB of music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.