Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcpix

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2005
I always thought that the magnets on the previous iMacs were a very clean and clever way to hold the glass in place. Plus, it ultimately allowed me to modify the screens on my iMacs.

It will be interesting to see the iFixit teardown to see how this new "gasket" works.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Looks very annoying. The i7 and 16gb option sounds better and better... Then again all of these iMacs were a chore to get inside of. I'd rather deal with reapplying 4 adhesive strips after servicing it than dealing with getting dust and dirt out from between a glass panel and LED screen. :eek:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Looks very annoying. The i7 and 16gb option sounds better and better... Then again all of these iMacs were a chore to get inside of. I'd rather deal with reapplying 4 adhesive strips after servicing it than dealing with getting dust and dirt out from between a glass panel and LED screen. :eek:

Agreed 100%. I've no idea what the fuss is about. A new adhesive strip is no issue.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
It looks like the 21.5" and 27" iMacs are constructed differently. On the 21.5" the components are mounted inside the back shell. From Apple's interior picture of the 27", the components are mounted on a chassis plate immediately behind the display. The back has to come off for access. So, I guess the procedure would be; detach the display, then unfasten the chassis from the back shell. With the 27" one could forgo the fusion drive upgrade, and replace the the 1TB HDD with a 512GB SSD, or larger when available.

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Agreed 100%. I've no idea what the fuss is about. A new adhesive strip is no issue.

Have you seen anything about the putting it back together part? The slicing looks simple enough, and I wouldn't mind applying new adhesive, but how hard is it to get it seated back in position so that it looks right is my question.

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007

The dust was no issue, it took minutes to clean out, and if you missed a couple of grains the screen could be popped off again easily.

Re-applying the adhesive will be very very time consuming (emphasis on Re-). The old adhesive will cause a horrible mess unless it's thoroughly removed which can take several hours of painstaking scalping. Then, if you're a hair out of place when you re-attach the monitor, it's back to square one. Plus you better pray that all your upgrades work perfectly first time. For example, you might upgrade the ram on the 21" and then find that it fails memtest.

I think it will be rare that anyone even acheives a clean upgrade with a nice flush screen and no signs of adhesive or scratching.

Verenom

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
This has me a little worried. So is taking the screen apart the only way to upgrade the RAM?

bongpapst

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Did i understand it right and he said: Under Logic Board u can set an SSD? Has the Logicboard a msata Connector?

Ry.

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2011
Theres s little compartment behind the stand that you can open to change the ram. It just pops out.

Source: CNET's review video on youtube.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
Have you seen anything about the putting it back together part? The slicing looks simple enough, and I wouldn't mind applying new adhesive, but how hard is it to get it seated back in position so that it looks right is my question.

Looks like a nightmare to re-seal it properly without the right tools. Maybe somebody can come up with a scheme to replace their adhesive with a set of super-strong magnets. Scrape off all the old adhesive, and put magnets on the four corners. Not sure if it'd be tight, and it'd definitely void your warranty - but it'd allow for future access if desired.

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
I opened up a base 21.5 last night and it came apart with very little effort. The adhesive transfer tape needs to be replaced but it peels away from both surfaces without leaving any residue. I was able to replace the ram with two 8gb sticks i had laying around without removing the logic board but i had to remove the fan. Here are some pics i took during the process.

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Last edited:

maharajah

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I opened up a base 21.5 last night and it came apart with very little effort. The adhesive transfer tape needs to be replaced but it peels away from both surfaces without leaving any residue. I was able to replace the ram with two 8gb sticks i had laying around without removing the logic board but i had to remove the fan. Here are some pics i took during the process.

Thanks for the photos. What replacement transfer tape did you use? Do you have any after pics of the iMac, any gaps?

Zackmd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2010
Maryland US

I'm curious... How did you go about opening it up? Did you use owc's method of a guitar pick or did you do something else?

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the photos. What replacement transfer tape did you use? Do you have any after pics of the iMac, any gaps?

I have not sealed it up yet. Apple used adhesive transfer tape with foam in the middle to act as a gasket, i know i have some 3m VHB transfer tape with foam in the middle but i can't find it. Once i find it and put it back together i will let you know.

----------

I'm curious... How did you go about opening it up? Did you use owc's method of a guitar pick or did you do something else?

I cut a credit card into a small circle.

Last edited:

maharajah

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I have not sealed it up yet. Apple used adhesive transfer tape with foam in the middle to act as a gasket, i know i have some 25mil 3m VHB transfer tape with foam in the middle but i can't find it. Once i find it and put it back together i will let you know.

Thanks.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Thank you! I feel greatly more confident opening this up. Do let us know what tape you use to stick it back down and how it looks when you're done. Hopefully it looks like Apple's OEM tape, for warranty purposes.

Also, are any special screwdrivers needed? I want to replace the hard drive. Not sure if you saw any funky connectors for temperature monitoring, too.

Thank you!

pubjoe

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2007
Thanks a lot R.OG.

I had been worried ever since apple used the term 'laminated', and I still have the awful memory of scraping away adhesive from an iphone1 screen. It's good to know that the adhesive strips peel off without a problem. My purchase depended on being able to avoid apple's storage prices. That seems perfectly doable. I won't be cancelling my order. :)

Panic over.

Last edited:

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Thank you! I feel greatly more confident opening this up. Do let us know what tape you use to stick it back down and how it looks when you're done. Hopefully it looks like Apple's OEM tape, for warranty purposes.

Also, are any special screwdrivers needed? I want to replace the hard drive. Not sure if you saw any funky connectors for temperature monitoring, too.

Thank you!

You only need torx screwdrivers.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
You only need torx screwdrivers.

Thank you. Just waiting to hear how putting back the display goes. :D

(And if you can check the 2.5" drive and see if anything weird is going on there in terms of connections, many of us would LOVE to know)

Stop keeping me waiting!!! :D :D

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
Seeing the ifixit images and the movie,
I wonder how apple fix things in the iMac when it need to repair it???
Do the lab have diffrent tools?
The iMac while beautiful is pain in the ass to fix.
Look very scary

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Considering how expensive Apples upgrade options are on their site this just feels like a way to rip you off up front.

You can literally save $250 upgrading the SSD and ram yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.