Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I just tested my brand new iMac 21.5

Take a look at the lower right hand corner. Do you see any problem??? Or maybe just my eyes are too sensitive.

There is also a problem of back lighting. Take a look it. That's unacceptable.
If anyone of you have 2012 iMac, I suggest you to test the display first as you have probably paid a lot of money for it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,823
  • back light.JPG
    back light.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,114
Last edited:

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Looks pretty good to me, my advise is to not look for little defects like that as every iMac will have it to some degree.

I didn't intentionally look for defects. i just accidentally noticed it as I was browsing web. I feel that the center tends to be brighter and other area is darker/ yellow.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I can sort of see it. It's definitely not evenly lit. It's up to you (obviously) if you want to bring it in. IMO, such an expensive machine should be perfect. At this time, it would probably be tough to get a new one, though.

If you didn't buy AppleCare, I would get it now. I bought it with mine because it's a first gen product, and you never know what will go wrong.

Also, I've heard that Apple tends to be a bit more lenient with repairs/replacements, even in the first year of warranty, if they see that you've got it.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

Take a look at the lower right hand corner. Do you see any problem??? Or maybe just my eyes are too sensitive.

Also, I noticed that the iMac isn't as quiet as I thought. i can hear fan noise coming from the back of iMac when I was updating the OS X and other software. I don't know if it's normal on iMac.

Whoever told you or led you to believe that iMacs were silent was wrong.
And the new model only has 1 fan, the old one had 2. just browsing and email it won't make much noise aside from the HDD, but if you push the cpu it can get very noisy. But besides, how often do you work with your ears on the back of the iMac and not the front?

Your eyes are not overly sensitive it has uneven back lighting, and also the tint issue on the lower right hand corner.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
-fan noise may he spotlight still indexing?
-i can see lots of uneven yellow tint in lower right...maybe glue curing issue like last imacs,and goes away in few days of use?...if not i would take back and get another.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

Also, I noticed that the iMac isn't as quiet as I thought. i can hear fan noise coming from the back of iMac when I was updating the OS X and other software. I don't know if it's normal on iMac.

Noise I can't speak about, but that uneven color is pretty ghastly to me.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012

That uneven back-lighting should be reported to Mac rumors admin immediately.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I didn't intentionally look for defects. i just accidentally noticed it as I was browsing web. I feel that the center tends to be brighter and other area is darker/ yellow.

You could take it back. In my experience, only a fraction of them are really perfect, but you'll notice it more under certain circumstances. Store lighting is bright, and they tend to turn the backlights to their maximum settings. In such a setting, you're less likely to notice it. If it bothers you, I'd exchange it now rather than wait to see what they say later. Oh and the fan noise just is what it is. I assume this is one of the new ones. They may be noisier if higher RPMs are required due to tight space or smaller fans. If it's new, you probably had a few background processes going, such as the initial drive indexing. Check activity monitor for details.

It's hideous.

known troll^^

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
My New iPad, iPhone 5, replacement iPhone 5 ALL have the same issue. So this is the norm of Apple product now?:(

True to a certain degree!

I have a iPhone 4S which is perfect. But had 3 ipad3 replacements!
My current one I can live with. Pretty uniform screen apart from top of screen in landscape has slight yellowing!!

Keeping my fingers crossed re my incoming imac!:eek:

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I will return it within 14 days. In the mean time, I'm just gonna test this one and see if there are significant issues with this generation iMac. The uneven lit display is definitely unacceptable.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
How does it look with a black jpeg in a dim room? Blobs all over? I don't mind the slight yellowing no picture will be uniform, slight clouding isn't bad either but if there are serious Lightbleed forget it

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
How does it look with a black jpeg in a dim room? Blobs all over? I don't mind the slight yellowing no picture will be uniform, slight clouding isn't bad either but if there are serious Lightbleed forget it

Here you go, the black photo.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 824

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I literally gasped when I saw that, and I'm still not sober from the night before ;) nope that's unacceptable!!! Sorry but if that was me i'd be calling apple immediately, never will I pay that much for a product where the screen s as defective as that!

I've been through 3 iPhone 4s (not 4S) because of that issue!

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Can someone report this to Macrumors admin? I'm new to this forum. And if you can, please also report to Apple directly.

I think people should check their screen first once they receive their iMacs.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
I purchased one of these this morning for a client. Set up a couple things for them and messed around with it for a bit.

Everything was working flawlessly. The screen was looking really good too. I did noticed a slight dimness in the lower right and left hand corners, but nothing too out of the ordinary.

Yours definitely looks like a bad unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.