Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple, not known for its partnerships with third-parties, is again recognizing December 1st as World AIDS Day at Apple Retail Stores and on its website. Apple did something similar last year.

Some stores, including several locations in New York City, have also colored their Apple logos red for the occasion. A MacRumors reader sent in this image from the Upper West Side outlet and noted that retail store staffers appear to have replaced the cases on all the products in the store with PRODUCT (RED) versions.

worldaidsday.jpg

Apple sells a number of PRODUCT (RED) items where a percentage of the profits are donated to the Global Fund to fight AIDS in Africa. There are (RED) versions of the iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, the iPad and iPad mini Smart Covers, the iPad Smart Case, and the iPhone 4S Bumper.
The numbers don't lie: Every day more than 900 babies are born with HIV. By 2015 that number can be nearly zero. (RED) works with companies like Apple to fight for an AIDS-free generation by 2015 by creating (PRODUCT) RED merchandise. A percentage of gross profits from the sale of those products goes to the Global Fund to help fund AIDS programs in Africa. Since its introduction, (PRODUCT) RED has generated more than $190 million -- more than $50 million from Apple alone -- for the Global Fund. Now you can make an impact, too, by purchasing a (PRODUCT) RED iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod touch, iPad Smart Cover, iPad Smart Case, or iPhone Bumper.
In addition to the retail store changes, Apple is placing a prominent link on the bottom of its homepage to (RED)'s World AIDS Day page.

Thanks Mark!

Article Link: Apple Again Recognizes World AIDS Day Online and In-Store

speedbumpnv

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Stopped by the Sydney flagship store to check out the new iMacs and they had the apple done up in red, iPads outfitted with Product (RED) smart covers, and the seasonal iThing table only had Product (RED) items on it, no other colors.

Attachments

• 148426_4980285944249_846791216_n.jpg
    148426_4980285944249_846791216_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 452

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Way to go Apple!

I have personally worked among people in East Africa who were born with the HIV/Aids Virus. It is an awful thing. But the Antiretroviral drugs (ARV's) are available and can help people live a relatively normal life. However, a ton of education and other resources are needed to get these drugs to the people who need it. That's why I think this is such a noble thing of Apple to do - ever dollar counts!

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I'd actually like it if Apple could do something like this with their notebooks as well...

True. I don't know what they could do, but right now we have some kind of Product (RED) version of every product (be it the product itself or an accessory) except for Macs and the iPhone 5.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
True. But that doesn't give these guys an excuse to be heartless, especially when they own a very well known site and get cash from donations

I'm pretty sure not throwing a red banner (or whatever the ribbon of the day is) up on your site makes you heartless.

And there will be critics of Apple who will say they should give more no matter how much they give.

My point? Stop judging or I will not think highly of you.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I'd actually like it if Apple could do something like this with their notebooks as well...
True. I don't know what they could do, but right now we have some kind of Product (RED) version of every product (be it the product itself or an accessory) except for Macs and the iPhone 5.
If they made Macs in different colors (or if they made cases for MacBooks) then I would agree. I know they used to (Black and White MacBooks) but now it is all Aluminium. I guess they could make a (Red) Magic Mouse or AirPort

The iPhone would be great to see in red...

Last edited:
C

champ01

As if money solves aids.

Its all marketing nonsense. There is never enough budget for good research therefor its always lacking.
The whole monetary system is research down if really think about it.

How about giving scientist what they need to do their research properly and kill budgets.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
If they made Macs in different colors (or if they made cases for MacBooks) then I would agree. I know they used to (Black and White MacBooks) but now it is all Aluminium. I guess they could make a (Red) Magic Mouse or AirPort

The iPhone would be great to see in red...

They could make a red anodized MacBook but it would probably look pretty gaudy and loud.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

• red powersupply for MBA, MBP
  • red bezel for laptop and iMac
  • one red key (ESC or space); disc reject is not relevant anymore
  • red mouse
  • a red apple logo in front of iMac or at the lid of laptops
  • a red headset

Actually I really thinking about getting a RED iPod Touch; but it would be really better in black/red (= instant buy)

The power supply would be very simple to realize

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Can we focus on something more important?

Can we focus on something more important? Like Cancer? At least AIDS is preventable. Cancer has been around A LOT longer. Let's focus on this one first, and then we can work on AIDS.

Silmarien

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Can we focus on something more important? Like Cancer? At least AIDS is preventable. Cancer has been around A LOT longer. Let's focus on this one first, and then we can work on AIDS.

Exactly. That is why people should be educated to prevent being infected by the HIV virus. I am sure that cancer cures are being researched but educating people is highly important.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

I think people should be applauded for any piece of good they do.
If you don't and want to rank good causes then I understand thousands of people starve to death every day. That has a cheap and available cure. Cancer not so much.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

OT: there are days I want the "down-vote button" back ...

On Topic: doing both at the same time would is perfectly fine. I agree with you: AIDS is preventable.

BUT: that require education, protective tools, diagnosis, care ... and in many cases there are cultural and religious barriers to overcome. So the task is not easy and require money. Thats what RED try to support.
Getting rid of AIDS will be easier compared to get rid of cancer. The later one is much more complicated to fight against with all the different variants and causes. But stopping AIDS can't wait until we solved the cancer issue.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
This is a good thing. I hate it when forum users use a story like this to start a fanboy war or Apple-bashing. Sometimes a corporation like Apple just does good things.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

Tell that to the thousands of women who are raped in villages in Africa.

Tell that to the thousands who become infected through blood transfusions that still happen, even with tested blood.

Tell that to the countless AIDS victims in the 80's who were left to die with a disease no one knew or cared about as at the time is was a "gay thing".

Your comment is beyond ignorant and wreaks of disdain. Many diseases are preventable, such as type II diabetes which has become an epidemic in the U.S. due to alarming increases in obesity, also preventable. I certainly hope no one you know has to fight with such a horrible "preventable" illness, I certainly hope you do not have to as well. :mad:

dru`

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2004
USA

Ignorance. AIDS is preventable and if people had self control it would be all but eliminated at this point but the research into the immune system that HIV has sparked has had far reaching consequences across disease study and that would include cancers like those caused by or linked to viruses.

I'm stick of pressured as if I must prostrate myself any time the words AIDS is mentioned. The gay community is obsessed in an unhealthy way. If half as much effort was put into peer pressure regarding behavior as goes into whining about funding or evil Republicans, the disease would be effectively eliminated in the western world by now.

----------

Tell that to the thousands who become infected through blood transfusions that still happen, even with tested blood.

Citation? WHERE is this happening right now in 2012?

Tell that to the countless AIDS victims in the 80's who were left to die with a disease no one knew or cared about as at the time is was a "gay thing".

Come to the 21st century. You admit "no one knew" but the posters point is, thirty years later, everyone knows in the West about its preventability. It's taught about in every school, even Catholic and other parochial schools and has been for twenty years at least. Youth can't escape the condom campaigns in mass and social media.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.