Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm currently wondering about the Nexus 7 versus the iPad Mini. The Mini has a bigger screen, comparable resolution and from what I've seen, outperforms the Nexus 7.

Is there any point if you already have an iPad 2?

Bigger screen--yes. Comparable resolution--not really, Nexus 7 is a bit better (216 dpi vs. 162 dpi for the Mini). I have both and the difference is noticeable. Outperforms--don't think so, seems pretty even to my eyes.

They have dramatically different form factors and consequently feel very different in the hand. The Nexus rounded back/edges and rubbery texture are more comfortable to hold in one hand. It's also a bit more pocketable, if that matters to you. That being said, the Mini is so thin and light it's also very easy to hold. For me, the extra screen real estate on the Mini trumps the slightly more comfortable Nexus 7. And while the Nexus 7 resolution is higher (most noticeable when reading text), I find the useable screen space of the Mini much better. The status bars on the Nexus 7 use too much of the Nexus 7 screen. That all being said, both have very nice displays and you may prefer the better resolution of the Nexus vs. extra screen space that I prefer.

Regarding coming from an iPad 2--it's a huge change. The same resolution on a smaller display is an improvement but that form factor is the biggest element. I love the size of the Mini--perfect for portability, super light, great for web browsing and find myself actually playing a few of the games I previously bought. And I made the change from an iPad 3, FWIW.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Bigger screen--yes. Comparable resolution--not really, Nexus 7 is a bit better (216 dpi vs. 162 dpi for the Mini). I have both and the difference is noticeable. Outperforms--don't think so, seems pretty even to my eyes.
Well the DPI is still better than the iPad 2 that I'm using so as long as neither of them are retina, the difference doesn't seem that big. Also, I mean outperform in terms of actual graphical/processing performance, based on a few tests I've seen.

Regarding coming from an iPad 2--it's a huge change. The same resolution on a smaller display is an improvement but that form factor is the biggest element. I love the size of the Mini--perfect for portability, super light, great for web browsing and find myself actually playing a few of the games I previously bought. And I made the change from an iPad 3, FWIW.
Now, that's interesting. Thanks.
The main thing is with the iPad mini, you're getting the same innards, afaik, meaning it's just like paying £269 for the same machine rather than an upgrade which it would be, ideally.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Got a Nexus 7 for my Wife but havent used it yet. Its going to be one of her presents. My Daughter just got a iPad mini. Messed with it for a bit and will do some more. The iOS looks the same still as back when i used my iPhone 2G. Still no back button...lol, i kept wanting to press it next to the home button. Id get used to it again but dont get why they make you go to the top left corner to hit a back arrow instead of just having a back button.

Cant wait to compare them side by side but ill have to wait a month.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well the DPI is still better than the iPad 2 that I'm using so as long as neither of them are retina, the difference doesn't seem that big. Also, I mean outperform in terms of actual graphical/processing performance, based on a few tests I've seen.

Now, that's interesting. Thanks.
The main thing is with the iPad mini, you're getting the same innards, afaik, meaning it's just like paying £269 for the same machine rather than an upgrade which it would be, ideally.

I've seen too many posters here get hung up on the 'same as an iPad 2, why pay for that again?' Just try it and if you enjoy the experience more than using your iPad 2, then don't worry about the specs. My iPad 3 had better specs but I enjoy using my Mini more so I switched. Obsessing about resolution, processor, etc will get you nowhere. Hands on experience is the best judge for me personally.

And I'm sure you're aware you can return an item. I picked up my Nexus 7 a couple of months ago to test it out and planned to return it if it wasn't for me. Turns out I liked it enough to keep it and keep playing around with Android. I tend to use my Mini more but mostly because it's an LTE model that leaves the house with me--still sit around using the N7 at times as well. Give the Mini a go and if you don't like it, return it and try something else.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I wish there was a way to downgrade to the version of Android that was installed out of the box. I hate the new 2 pull-down menus of this update + the horrendous battery life.

There is. You just have to root your Nexus device first. Literally, a one click operation. Then download the stock 4.1 ROM from Google and flash it (another basic operation). Your Nexus returns to completely stock with no root.

Nexus devices are ridiculously easy to root. You can download this Windows program and it will hold your hand: http://www.wugfresh.com

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Just an update after a couple of days into my Nexus 7 journey.

Firstly the Android skeptic in me is slowly withering. Before anyone thinks this guy is just a random guy who can easily be swayed.
I had the original iPhone all the way up and including the 5. I have also owned iPad's as well as as well as been a Mac user since early 00s.

I am what you call a highly connected long term Apple user. Bought more Apple products than I care to remember :) Basically like most people on this site :D

Thoughts so far:

7" form factor for me is spot on. I could not go back to a bigger tablet after using this, it feels right. (bearing in mind I own a Macbook Air for when I want to sit down and do long periods of work though). But I do tons of browsing and reading and this size is perfect for me. But again not for everyone.

Android: Its not the horrible, buggy laggy OS that I have been led to believe (but this is stock android). 4.2 is fast and fluid and highly enjoying it. Sure it may not quite have the same polish and refinement of iOS but you can see Google is really trying to go after design now. Android under the hood feels more like a "complete" OS as the level of customisation you can do is fantastic but having said that as a compromise it does lose some of the user 'friendlyness' of iOS. This is not a bad or a good thing, its down to personal taste.

Hardware: Screen quality is sharp and great for reading and the extra PPI over the mini is noticeable for me. Having said that the mini prob has a better saturation. But using the Nexus you won't notice it at all as the screen is superb. For me I prefer this screen over the mini screen cos its higher res. The nexus is great hardware overall, obviously the mini will be better made, but it is also a lot more money. If the mini were retina this will be a different story again.

For me also the 7" form factor now feels right over the slightly larger iPad mini. Not mocking the mini but this is more right for me. But having said I adore the mini as well (I do like it a lot)

Gaming: Shadow gun with Tegra 3 processor looks amazing, again the form factor perfect for mobile gaming.

Marketplace: Good and bad. Ample amount of apps and games. But because its not really moderated also tons of rubbish on there. You need to be more wise before downloading stuff :) But having said that before you agree to download Google Play will inform you what the app plans to "access" before you agree.

So far I think if you going to "replace" a laptop a 9.7 around device is prob more suited. But if you want to browse, game, read, consume then the 7-7.9 is better to compliment a laptop (for me anyway).

I am a happy iPhone user and love the Mac with the Apple TV but also enjoying owning an Android device. If need be it will help me keep an eye on a broader market and stop me from me being bias all the time towards Apple. The nexus so far as shown Android is a very capable OS and deff a possibility but its not for everyone (but neither is iOS).

My next challenge is syncing. Google luckily are very open to syncing contacts, calendars and email to any different devices. I use spotify for music so that not an issue. Apps will be a careful decision per paid app.

I not planning to abandon my iPhone/mac or anything its nice to be able to use both eco systems and keep a balance. It is "easier" to lock into one system of cause so will see how long that goes lol.

Anyway short update.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
The only thing that is bumming me out now is the horrible text formatting on the Android kindle app. On iOS it always seemed to flow correctly, it was justified nicely and really filled all the space on screen. The android version has weird justification, leaves huge margins on top and below and just doesn't look right no matter how I adjust the margin/font settings.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
The only thing that is bumming me out now is the horrible text formatting on the Android kindle app. On iOS it always seemed to flow correctly, it was justified nicely and really filled all the space on screen. The android version has weird justification, leaves huge margins on top and below and just doesn't look right no matter how I adjust the margin/font settings.
I know exactly what you mean. I notice that as well. Not as deal breaker just odd. Is more of a amazon issue though.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Well thanks in part to the people from this thread, I've decided on the Nexus 7 instead of the mini. Considering I already have a machine with essentially the same hardware, it's not that exciting; there's no novelty.

Getting the Nexus allows me to sample vanilla Android and as a technology enthusiast, that does excite me. It'll be nice to try something new.

Now I just have to make my mind up about capacity. :p

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Well thanks in part to the people from this thread, I've decided on the Nexus 7 instead of the mini. Considering I already have a machine with essentially the same hardware, it's not that exciting; there's no novelty.

Getting the Nexus allows me to sample vanilla Android and as a technology enthusiast, that does excite me. It'll be nice to try something new.

Yeah that is a though choice. If you like tech you will like android. My only advice is if you well into iOS it will take a few hours before the iOS mindset wears down. Lol. It is different.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Congrats on your choice ! :cool:

I'd say whatever you can afford. Too bad you weren't ready last week as Office Depot had a $20 off discount for Black Friday.

iwan073

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2011
The Netherlands
I like mine as my introduction to Android. I do think I'll also be one of those replacing it with a N4.

The only real problems I have with the N7, is the narrow aspect ratio, lack of cellular data (on mine), lack of backside camera, and I wish it was about 1/2 inch shorter.

So you wish it was 4:3?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is one thing that Google has to fix, it wastes a lot of real screen space

It horribly needs a high contrast/night mode as well, in fact the entire OS should have this. iOS and windows have this, there is no excuse for Android not having it, I absolutely hate using my Nexus at night.

Shootme

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
As an enthusiast, I decided to try the N7, ordered 16 GB, WiFi. My first android device ever.

First impressions: nice form factor, great size, little bleeding around the edges of the screen. Build quality is OK, like the backing. However, I can't get IOS out of my head to enjoy the tablet. It's been 2 days and I'm very frustrated. My first issue was rotation, took about 2 hours to get that figured out. After updating, finding the rotation lock, now rotation working. Next was a camera test? No native camera app, really! Download, install, working. As this will be mostly a consumption device, started to install apps, Pandora, Netflix, etc... All the apps looked and functioned great. The tablet started slowing down a little, so I researched how to close apps, download app task killer.

Because we're an IOS people, our entire ecosystem / home is based around IOS. So features that I missed the most where, AirPrint, AirPlay, iMessage, FaceTime. All IOS features, I did not realize how much I relied on those features until I started playing the the N7.

So bottom line, good device, personal preference, and ecosystem.

After 2 days, I've factory reset the N7, letting my friend try it out for a while. Once I get it back, I'm going to give it another try. Maybe this time I can get IOS out of my head long enough to really start using it.

My 2 cents

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I haven't seen an N7 in person, but I love the nearly edge to edge display of the ipad mini on the vertical edges. Does the N7's larger bezel make it look a lot worse than the ipad mini?

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA
I bought one earlier this week. It's a great piece of kit. The screen is lovely. I was apprehensive after reading endless reports about it being washed out etc etc, but for me it looks brilliant. HD video looks incredible, text is sharp, colours are great, and games look amazing. I also think it feels great to hold and use, and I prefer the plastic back to the metal back of an iPad. Having used an iPad 3 pretty extensively I definitely prefer the feel of the Nexus.

Minor annoyances include (but are not limited to)
- lack of a full screen mode on Chrome.
- the positioning of the grid 'slots' on the homescreen which dont allow you to have an app icon down the centre of the screen.
- can't use Google Music with AirPlay (wasn't expecting to be able to but it's still annoying!)

For the 2nd and 3rd:

Try apex launcher, doubletwist.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
As an enthusiast, I decided to try the N7, ordered 16 GB, WiFi. My first android device ever.

First impressions: nice form factor, great size, little bleeding around the edges of the screen. Build quality is OK, like the backing. However, I can't get IOS out of my head to enjoy the tablet. It's been 2 days and I'm very frustrated. My first issue was rotation, took about 2 hours to get that figured out. After updating, finding the rotation lock, now rotation working. Next was a camera test? No native camera app, really! Download, install, working. As this will be mostly a consumption device, started to install apps, Pandora, Netflix, etc... All the apps looked and functioned great. The tablet started slowing down a little, so I researched how to close apps, download app task killer.

Because we're an IOS people, our entire ecosystem / home is based around IOS. So features that I missed the most where, AirPrint, AirPlay, iMessage, FaceTime. All IOS features, I did not realize how much I relied on those features until I started playing the the N7.

So bottom line, good device, personal preference, and ecosystem.

After 2 days, I've factory reset the N7, letting my friend try it out for a while. Once I get it back, I'm going to give it another try. Maybe this time I can get IOS out of my head long enough to really start using it.

My 2 cents

It will take a lot more time than that if you have been using iOS for years. When i got my forst Android phone after using iOS for two + years, i went two weeks of still trying to use my iPhone just to use a comfort zone while using Android a lot. But after those two weeks and finding out different things about Android i really started to like it alot and i stopped picking up the iPhone.

Now if you have other iOS devices, it might be a little tougher for you but there will come a time when you are very comfortable with Android IF you stick with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.