Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I just got a new Mac, and decided to transfer my iTunes library from my old one. One thing led to another, and next thing I know I've accidentally duplicated every single song in my library. Apparently iTunes 11 no longer has a built in feature for finding and deleting dupes (or does it?). I've done some googling, and have found several programs for this kind of thing (Dupin, DupeAway, etc...), but these programs are either ridiculously over-priced (I'm not prepared to spend $25 on some software that I'm only ever going to use once), or simply don't work.

Does anyone know of some free software that actually works? Or am I going to have to have to delete each dupe individually? Thanks in advance!

PS: Please don't post answers that are relevant only to iTunes 10.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That feature was removed from iTunes, so your only option is to get a utility like tuneup that does this

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Them duplicates songs are a right pain and its shocking how much space they take up on your hard drive or any of your devices.

i got about 60GB back from just duplicate songs that i have had in my iTunes collection at one point i couldn't get all my music on my iPod Classic and when i finished using a program that use i only had about 40Gb worth of music.

I personally don't know of any freeware software that would be able to help you out but i have some pay ware which would do the trick and it works really well and keeps your iTunes library nice and tidy at all time it does a lot of things just not mp3s it does images everything just general files too

Here is the link for you to have a look at http://www.hyperbolicsoftware.com/DupeZap.html
This program works with iTunes 11 because i have just tested it and it works fine

If you have the cash to get the program then it worth it to get rid of unwanted duplicate files on your system makes life so much easier when you don't have them on your system.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
AppleScript for removing duplicate files in Finder

Is there an AppleScript out there that allows you to find and delete duplicates from Finder? If not, could one of you guys write one for me?

I would do it myself, but unfortunately I know NOTHING about AppleScript, so I figured it would be a whole lot easier to ask you guys. Thank you in advance.

schreibers

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2012
Seems someone beat me to my question! Recently went from PC to Mac and though I like iTunes 11 it has been frustrating in the regard as the OP.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.