Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
nNw37.png
Would I not be correct in stating that these are actually far surpassed 3G speeds and are more in the range of LTE speeds?

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Yes, its HSPA+
AT&T calls it 4G:D

----------

Yes, HSPA+ goes way above 10mbps.
And you do have it in your area or else you wouldnt be getting those speeds.

I'm on Rogers however, we don't have HSPA+ just 3G and LTE according to the coverage map

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Nice:D
You dont have a data plan and you're getting data now?
Just make sure you dont get any surprise phone bills at the end of the month.

Yeah, if that happens I'm going to call and rain hellfire on Rogers HQ :D

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Forget about LTE if you already have 10mbps 3G download speeds. That's already very very fast for a mobile device..

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
HSPA+ on 3G can actually reach speeds of 28mbps or upto 42mbps if its dual carrier although real world it doesnt reach that.

Here in the UK im on Three and I often get 16mbps on 3G.

4G has the potential to be faster, but in real world terms often misses the mark. It is however a great marketing tool. To the average buyer they can either have 3rd Generation or pay a bit more and get 4th Generation. Ooooooooohhhhh!

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
HSPA+ on 3G can actually reach speeds of 28mbps or upto 42mbps if its dual carrier although real world it doesnt reach that.

Here in the UK im on Three and I often get 16mbps on 3G.

4G has the potential to be faster, but in real world terms often misses the mark. It is however a great marketing tool. To the average buyer they can either have 3rd Generation or pay a bit more and get 4th Generation. Ooooooooohhhhh!

I'm also on Three and have managed to get 20mbps down

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Don't see the logic in this. You willingly used data. Pay for it.

yeah not sure on the laws in Canada but usa uk, aus etc.. its called Passive theft and you are liable to pay for it.

OP i'd call them and say "it appearntly has been on 3G.. and my device is suppose to be wifi only etc.. i thought it was on wifi." they might not charge you.. but if you continue to use it they will know it was not on accident.

----------

Ah okay. Thanks a lot dude :)

Haha, I know right? I was very impressed

^^^^^

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Yeah this is all based on confusion started by T-Mobile USA referring to HSPA+ as 4G. AT&T then had to follow suit since they were offering the exact same services, but T-Mobile's sounded better since they were incorrectly referring to them as 4G.

So now some carriers call HSPA+ 4G and some call it 3G but regardless, it's all the same thing, and is capable of some crazy fast speeds.

utahusker

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2006
Don't see the logic in this. You willingly used data. Pay for it.

yeah not sure on the laws in Canada but usa uk, aus etc.. its called Passive theft and you are liable to pay for it.

OP i'd call them and say "it appearntly has been on 3G.. and my device is suppose to be wifi only etc.. i thought it was on wifi." they might not charge you.. but if you continue to use it they will know it was not on accident.

----------

^^^^^
Nooooo! Not again, this thread may get closed once the right/not right argument starts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.