Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Anyone with a 2012model comment on the wifi reception. I'll be about 40-50 feet from the router through a couple of interior walls and it will be low to the floor under desk. I was thinking of getting a PCIe wifi card in case the internal one is pretty low quality

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Anyone with a 2012model comment on the wifi reception. I'll be about 40-50 feet from the router through a couple of interior walls and it will be low to the floor under desk. I was thinking of getting a PCIe wifi card in case the internal one is pretty low quality

All good for me, I'm about 30 Metres away from my router. You need to figure in which band you're on, channel of WiFi and other external factors.

The Mac Pro itself is a faraday cage in effect, bluetooth is a known issue for many, simply google Magic Mouse stutter and you'll see the result is poor design.

I had a Quad 2012 that had struggling bluetooth and that's with the Magic Mouse right by it on the desk! Apple swapped it out and I paid for a 6 core luckily no issues here but my guess is the class of bluetooth in the machines differs from build to build.

Anyway I have gone on, cool story bro - in short you should be fine.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Cheers, thanks I assume it can connect to both 2.4 and 5?
Can't seem to find that on the apple store.

Yeah I was considering the Logitech mx performance but figured I'd see how the Magic Mouse got on first.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Cheers, thanks I assume it can connect to both 2.4 and 5?
Can't seem to find that on the apple store.

Yeah I was considering the Logitech mx performance but figured I'd see how the Magic Mouse got on first.

It can indeed. The magic mouse is ace as is the magic trackpad - when they work. If you have bluetooth issues a usb small dongle plugged into the full size keyboard solves any interference. If it's the Mac obviously get it swapped out by Apple.

pyzon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I will look at power line if I have issues thanks for the replies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.