Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
So I just picked up a brand-new iMac, and I am very interested in purchasing some speakers that aesthetically match the beautiful new design. Does anybody know of any speakers that complement and mesh well with the look and feel?

Rorlow

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm more concerned with sound quality vs looks, for the money you can't beat the THX certified speaker systems from Logitech

Last edited:

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
The Swans T200 is ultra modern looking and matches well with the iMac. They aren't cheap though.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I want to 2nd the Harmon Kardon Sound Sticks. I just recently purchased some and they look great sitting next to my imac, plus they sound great!

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Bose speakers are the top notch, but very expensive. They are the best I've ever heard.

Otherwise, JBL produce also very good stuff, and Logitech looks crappy but has good sound.

I bought myself a Dared MP5 tube amp with USB input together with good old JBL speakers made for tube amps, the sound is breathtaking.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
logictech has the best sound for the price. you dont have to spend alot on logitechs and they still sound good.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
I've been eying these for awhile. They're called AudioEngine A2's
Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 2.37.31 PM.png

They also come in black but unfortunately they are only 2.0's

v654321

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Vilvoorde, Belgium
Bose speakers are the top notch, but very expensive. They are the best I've ever heard.

Otherwise, JBL produce also very good stuff, and Logitech looks crappy but has good sound.

I bought myself a Dared MP5 tube amp with USB input together with good old JBL speakers made for tube amps, the sound is breathtaking.

Absolutely incorrect. They might sound great for the size but they are way too aggressively sounding. Bose is very good in one thing: marketing. That's where it ends.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Absolutely incorrect. They might sound great for the size but they are way too aggressively sounding. Bose is very good in one thing: marketing. That's where it ends.

I respectfully disagree. Bose is very good at getting lots of sound out of very small speakers.

Everyone hates on Bose, because it's true that you can get speakers that are as good for less money, and it's true that you can get better speakers for the same amount of money. However, in both those scenarios, the speakers will be bigger and uglier.

I would think Mac fans wouldn't have such animosity towards Bose. After all, both are expensive products of the market they are in. However, Bose just works. It's a very simple set-it-and-forget-it system, in a very small form factor.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I respectfully disagree. Bose is very good at getting lots of sound out of very small speakers.

Everyone hates on Bose, because it's true that you can get speakers that are as good for less money, and it's true that you can get better speakers for the same amount of money. However, in both those scenarios, the speakers will be bigger and uglier.

I would think Mac fans wouldn't have such animosity towards Bose. After all, both are expensive products of the market they are in. However, Bose just works. It's a very simple set-it-and-forget-it system, in a very small form factor.

I have a fair amount of Bose stuff... largely for the reasons that you state above. I think many of their products are heavy on bass, and I think that it is largely because they tend to use folded wave guides to give it bigger sound. I suspect that it is an acquired taste. I do not love nor hate the sound of Bose... but I agree that it is not really audiophile quality.

I travel a lot... and when on commercial flights, I typically use Bose QC15's noise reduction headsets. I also have some nice Etymotics ER4's. Both the Bose and Etymotics are about $300 each... but there is no contest in sound quality... the Etymotics leave Bose in the dust. However... I use my Bose QC15's about 10X (or more) often... because they are so damn comfortable. The quality is "good enough".

I use a Bose bluetooth earpiece with my iPhone for business calls. I have owned at least a dozen different BT earpieces over the years... and the Bose the the most comfortable by far.

Likewise... I have four sets of Bose aviation headsets hard wired into my personal plane. They are expensive at about $1K per pair... but there is simply nothing that is as comfortable, or as good at sound suppression (especially with a reciprocating engine) as Bose. They make flying MUCH more comfortable... and about 10X better when you actually need to hear and understand ATC commands.

My wife has a pair of Bose Computer Music Monitors on her iMac. For the size... I think they are probably pretty good... but I have no doubt there are better sounding sound systems available. The question is... would she care? They are so small that they are almost invisible on her desk. She would vastly prefer that than some clunky speakers.

I guess the bottom line is that Bose seems to hit a spot that is pretty good quality... exceptional packaging... etc. Very much like Apple does for computing. There are better sounding products than Bose in most areas (except for their true aviation headsets), but overall... their products are quite comfortable to use and have better than most ergonomics.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.