Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
I

iFanboy

Are you saying the number of views is bogus? That it is artificially inflated about 20 times or more depending on number of real views?

That's quite a bump there.

No, the OP was complaining of all the views but no comments. I simply pointed out that most visitors to this website don't have accounts. So despite a high view count only a few of those may be logged in users.

Infinig03

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
+1 on good speed test results over wifi but YouTube loading slow as ****. No problems on LTE either. Lame

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Well, I think it depends on the internet speed of where you are with your iPhone 5.

It doesn't. I never had a single problem with this on the 4s. I never have a problem with it on my laptop or iMac. Just the 5. I consistently get mid 20's mbps or higher on speed tests.

Iphonehelp56

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I am also having really slow connection with youtube that it buffers every couple of seconds. Also, Jasmine does not help for anyone mentioning that. My download is 21 mbps and every other device else does it fine

ray203

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
youtube iphone 5 on wifi

I was speaking to apple and they could not help, but I have rounded down the problem I think.

Well, the problem I am having is on wifi, using youtube app will not stream video at all with cursor spinning and NO data transfer! basically idle when checking my windows pc network connection during youtube stream, this is with mobile data turned off.

Turn on mobile data, and for some reason youtube app starts streaming over wifi??? data starts flowing.. but phone using wifi not 3g.

After all that, go to safari and youtube from there, works fine with wifi on and mobile data off.

Mind you, I can use youtube app to search browse videos no probnlem, but start to watch a video over wifi, does not stream at all!

apple said they have no contract with youtube no more, she sent me to google forums, wow!!

strange...

Last edited:

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
To be honest the answer the OP is looking for is right on the App Store where he downloaded the YouTube app. THE REVIEWS.

Have a quick browse of them and you will see loads of people rating the app down for being slow, buffering etc.

Its generally regarded as not being very good. So the people who say its flying must have a magical version, because that doesnt tie in with the reviews.

flipn0tic

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I've noticed the same. Chalk it up to the ongoing petty war between Apple and Google, where no matter who wins what battle, the end user is the one that loses every time.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I can confirm youtube is working just swimmingly on my S3 and is using all my screen's estate :cool:

ah that felt good

It worked perfectly on my S3 and note 2 too but it keeps buffering on my iPhone 5. Looks like Google is going it from the back end to the iOS devices.

mikemix

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
My iPhone 5 loads youtube very slowly on wifi and even stops loading. Switch off wifi and LTE jams! My wifi is typically 30 Meg's down! This also happens when I try to stream church services outside of youtube. So I don't think it's youtube. Interestingly, I have no issues on my ipad!! It's an iPhone 5 issue for sure! I am thinking it has to be software but COULD it be hardware? I bought mine shortly after release. Has anyone had this problem and resolved it?
Mike

schulzey

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
This is very frustrating!

This is happening to me as well. I was getting ready to smash my iphone 5. My iphone 4s and 4 blow this phone away when it comes speed over wifi.

I thought it was all wifi problems, but I've now narrowed it down to mainly youtube and sending photos via native email app while on wifi.

When I go to mobile youtube website via safari, youtube downloads decent (4s is still faster) but when I use youtube app it crawls and stops, completely unuseable and I'm on youtube a lot. Also, sending a photo to another email address takes hours and usually just times out.

The wierd thing is browser is blazing fast, someone explain that.

I don't know if this is apple or googles fault but I'd like this resolved. I even went as far as ordering a nexus 4 but I can't stand android. When a phone is 2gb ram and quad core and still lags like crazy that's a bad os.

I can't go back to the 4s because this iphone 5 screen is barely large enough for me. I would prefer android sized screens on an apple device. So hopefully apple can start figuring this out or I would guess someone out there is going to start taking huge market share from apple and I would hate it if that were android.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
Youtube is painfully slow for me on my iphone 5 using wifi. It doesn't seem to buffer and videos are constantly freezing on me. When I run a speedtest I am getting 30 download and 3 up, so it is not my Internet. I played the same video on my iphone 4 side by side with my 5 and the iPhone 4 loads perfectly, while the iPhone 5 just sits there. The weird thing is that I can go to any other video streaming site and my iphone 5 will load the videos extremely fast. It's the same results using the youtube app and using safari.

Can anyone else confirm this on their iphone 5?

Me too. Especially I hate the thing where YouTube automatically down renders videos. Plays them in lower quality automatically, I hate it. It's a big problem.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Me too. Especially I hate the thing where YouTube automatically down renders videos. Plays them in lower quality automatically, I hate it. It's a big problem.

That's due to your cellular connection speed usually. Is it doing this while on WiFi as well? If so, I've never seen this before on any iDevice.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
That's due to your cellular connection speed usually. Is it doing this while on WiFi as well? If so, I've never seen this before on any iDevice.

The problem is the YouTube app, I'm about to delete it. I have one of the fastest Wi-Fi connections around. That's why it's so shocking.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The problem is the YouTube app, I'm about to delete it. I have one of the fastest Wi-Fi connections around. That's why it's so shocking.

But it shouldn't down grade your video if you're on wifi. That's what's curious to me. At least I've never seen it happen. Every time I've been on wifi anywhere, no matter how fast or slow, it always plays in HQ and the only difference is the load times.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
But it shouldn't down grade your video if you're on wifi. That's what's curious to me. At least I've never seen it happen. Every time I've been on wifi anywhere, no matter how fast or slow, it always plays in HQ and the only difference is the load times.

It's happening. There's not even any way to control it. That's what pisses me off. Even if you try to scrub the video so it reloads, nope, it still wants to play in low quality.

I could see how it would be helpful for 3G, but it also does it on Wi-Fi.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I gave up on Google's Youtube App a longtime ago. Jasmine and MacTube are way better. I have a Nexus 7 and the Google apps is no better on Android.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

No, this is when the WIFI loses connection and drops the quality down to 3G. I e found streaming video or even sometimes loading web pages cuts out my WIFI and its really annoying.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
No, this is when the WIFI loses connection and drops the quality down to 3G. I e found streaming video or even sometimes loading web pages cuts out my WIFI and its really annoying.

But if his wifi connection remains constant, it shouldn't be doing it. I obviously don't know if his wifi is dropping out or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.