Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You do realize everything has codenames? This is likely the codename for the next windows. And if I had to guess, it is probably the next major update to Windows 8. This is what they have done with Windows Phone updates, and since they are working so hard to make everything look and feel the same, it wouldn't shock me if they did the same sort of update structure.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
They're moving to a yearly upgrade schedule, just like how Apple has with Mac OS X.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
They're moving to a yearly upgrade schedule, just like how Apple has with Mac OS X.

No they aren't, this is most likely going to be

A: The next windows we'll see in 3-4 years
B: A major service pack for Windows 8

You most likely will never see Windows go to a yearly release schedule like OSX, I would assume developing a totally new version of windows is far more complex and time consuming than developing a new version of OSX, even though they are on the same build. ( OSX 10-10.8 are all the same build ), ( Windows Vista, 7 and 8 are all on the same build as well ).

You'll also never see Microsoft start dropping support for operating systems in a quick manner like Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
I remember reading something about "Blue" at another tech site a few weeks back. From what I understood there, it's MS' attempt at homogenizing all their products, code bases, ect. under one umbrella. In other words, there won't be an Office team fighting against the Windows team, nor the Windows team killing off promising technologies simply because it doesn't directly benefit the Windows brand.

It's the one thing Microsoft desperately needs to do (become a little bit more lean, mean, and Apple like), and one of the reasons why Sinofsky was given the boot. He was one of the people who liked keeping everything at MS segregated, and supposedly wasn't on board with the whole unification attempt.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
How do you know this? Has Microsoft confirmed they are doing?

Same places all the rumors of Windows Blue are coming from.

Nobody has confirmed anything and Mircosoft is mum on any sort of Windows Blue project, but if Blue is true than so is a yearly upgrade cycle. This isn't like a service pack, Windows Blue would be just like 10.8 is, where it's still fundamentally Windows 8, but with improvements.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Same places all the rumors of Windows Blue are coming from.

Nobody has confirmed anything and Mircosoft is mum on any sort of Windows Blue project, but if Blue is true than so is a yearly upgrade cycle. This isn't like a service pack, Windows Blue would be just like 10.8 is, where it's still fundamentally Windows 8, but with improvements.

All the rumors point to Microsoft doing yearly upgrades and cheap prices in an attempt to keep up with Apple. This allows them to introduce new features quickly and slowly introduce change amongst the masses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.