Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
It's well and truly into the first day of December here in Oz, so I'll get the ball rolling.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

Last edited:

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Too minimal for the crowd here?

Wasn't sure whether to post this type of thing here or not, so I'll give it a go and see if I get booed off stage... Personally, I love minimal and small detail shots.

IMG_5953.jpg

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is Sluggo our rescue English Bulldog. He is 85 pounds and is a real ham for the camera. This photo was taken at our home.

Attachments

• Sluggo 2009_10.JPG
    Sluggo 2009_10.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
Last edited:

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Wasn't sure whether to post this type of thing here or not, so I'll give it a go and see if I get booed off stage... Personally, I love minimal and small detail shots.

IMG_5953.jpg

Are you kidding? This crowd loves a good photo of any sort. I think you'll find that interests range pretty wide here. That's what makes reading the PotD thread on a regular basis so much fun. Nice complementary color palette and lines in this photo. I especially like how the lock sort of echoes the forms of the number "8". Well seen.

Inglenook fireplace at Blackwell...

ingleniook.jpg

If I lived in a place like that, I don't think I'd ever go outside. I'm thoroughly enjoying this set, Doylem. Most people *pay* to visit spaces like this, and you get to run amok in there with a camera and tripod, and you get paid to do it. Pretty good!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Niagara Falls, Canada.

k54058.jpg

Sorry for the delay in reply from last month's posts:

I really like this!

Mind sharing your method to getting this kind of shot? (Shooting and Post)

Thanks, I mainly shoot long exposures with ND filters, camera mounted on a tripod, aperture priority with settings around f/13, ISO 80.
Post is usually bumps in saturation, a hair of contrast and selective dodging and burning with brushes.

Great shot. Have you got any tips regarding how you find your locations?

Thanks, most of my shots are from local beaches, that specific bridge known as "Sea Cliff Bridge" is 10 minutes away from me. Then it's just a matter of walking on the rock platforms until you find an interesting shot, I gravitate towards the moving water and find it enjoyable exploring new places.

Last edited:

genshi

macrumors 6502a
From my new Fujifilm X-E1

I'm not normally a still-life/flower-picture-taking type of photographer, but I did this specifically as a test to compare the raw vs film simulation modes jpgs in my new Fujifilm X-E1.

This is the raw version with no post processing other than converting the raw file to jpg. Shot fully manual (except the white balance, I always forget that.) Metered handheld with the Sekonic L-358 (camera settings below pic.) For those of you who are interested, here are the comparisons of the raw and various film simulation modes of this camera.

8234611134_2f38e7e7be_c.jpg

Code:
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1
Lens: Fujinon XF35mmF1.4 R 
ISO: 200
Shutter Speed: 1/250sec
Aperture: f/1.4 
Other Details: No flash. One continuous [daylight balanced] light source.

Last edited:

flyersgl

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
South Jersey, USA
Hello all--

I have been enjoying the photos posted here for a very long time, but I have just worked up the nerve to start sharing some of my own. Hopefully this first attempt works!

I have a Nikon D80 and only one lens right now, a 18-200mm zoom. Hoping for some new toys from Santa!

DSC_0094 by NWH65, on Flickr

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Niagara Falls, Canada.

k54058.jpg

I particularly like the fence how it curves gently up the slope. It sort of reminds me of looking at one side of the great wall of China.

I'm still trying to work out whether the woman in the foreground is using a flip-out video or still camera of some sort, or whether she's just a highly animated type!

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I am dabbling in macro photography, so this image was captured using a 105/f2.5 lens with PK-13 attached. This is not the prettiest butterfly, but he dutifully stood still while I snapped away so for that I am grateful.

Critique/comments are welcomed as I am a relative newbie.

Attachments

• BUTTERFLY JPG.jpg
    BUTTERFLY JPG.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 316

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Mako

Photo of one of the young swimmers from the Manhattan Mako swim team. The proceeds of the swim meet went towards Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

EXIF
Camera: Canon EOS REBEL T2i
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 135 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Exposure Bias: 0 EV

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Lots of good stuff in this thread! Loving the Niagara Falls shot.

Here's my contribution. Also the Pacific Coast (Laguna Beach to be exact).

20121201-IMG_0970-2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.