Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Yep. I would have never known about the static either had I not read it off the net.

Before these message boards, I used my devices without a care. Now I notice things with the screen, pixels, dust, rattling, battery, camera, speakers, volume, gaps, etc.. :( :p

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
But you forgot to mention the number one positive. Able to use it on $10 unlimited ATT feature phone plan without any throttling.

Even using WAP.Cingular still able to get 4-6 mpbs consistently. Who cares if I can't hit 8-13 mpbs with hspa plus cause of $10 unlimited data plan since nexus 4 isn't recognized as smartphone by att

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I know some who bought the Nexus 4 are just trying to stay as stock as possible but that isnt my agenda. For me it is not having TouchWiz or Sense layed over it and getting the updates first that matters most to me so i will use 3rd party apps with no qualms.

That is my only issue with Android. BS bloatware and layers over the OS and the updates. I am not rooting ever. Since Apple became the "Wii" of the tech world and winMO is a wait and see for me I hope my old trusty flip phone stays kicking. Nexus 4 is good but I think it's boring looking personally. If Sony did the Nexus I would be all over that.

Last edited by a moderator:

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
That is my only issue with Android. BS bloatware and layers over the OS and the updates. I am not rooting ever. Since Apple became the "Wii" of the tech world and winMO is a wait and see for me I hope my old trusty flip phone stays kicking. Nexus 4 is good but I think it's boring looking personally. If Sony did the Nexus I would be all over that.

Or Motorola. Something like the Razr Maxx HD.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I'm surprised we're not talking more about the smaller touch points. It's a bit bothersome, but after a few days, I think I'm adjusting.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm surprised we're not talking more about the smaller touch points. It's a bit bothersome, but after a few days, I think I'm adjusting.

I don't know. Using the iPhone 5 ( I know blasphemy) side by side theres a big difference in the touch sensitivity or touch points or whatever. Unfortunately it's noticeable to me and I like "touching" my iPhone more. That sounds dirty lol

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know. Using the iPhone 5 ( I know blasphemy) side by side theres a big difference in the touch sensitivity or touch points or whatever. Unfortunately it's noticeable to me and I like "touching" my iPhone more. That sounds dirty lol

I wonder if you're just looking for a difference.

I don't have an iPhone 5 to compare and I did a comparison on my iPad 3rd Gen which is not the same thing, but there was no noticeable difference. And when I did use my friend's iPhone 5, the touch response wasn't so vastly different or superior for me to take any notice. In fact, if anything, I noticed the weather wouldn't launch from the Notification Center even after a few taps. I posted about this a while back. When asked, my friend said yeah, sometimes the device isn't responsive or the action doesn't happen on the first tap. Sometimes it requires more than one tap. I've noticed this oddity on my iPad 3 too. And they are taps that are registered (the icons gray out). The action just doesn't actually follow.

So, I don't know.

Check out Pocket Now's iPhone 5 vs Nexus 4 video. A few times, he does comparisons of what apps launch faster, which reorients text faster when browsing, etc., where you can see him touching both screens at roughly the same time (he'll do little countdowns). There is so little perceived difference, if any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MIWYp6ZXe-s

And if there is in any difference for any side's favor, the difference seems extremely minuscule. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PS. This video was made before the Chrome update that came out a couple of days ago.

EDIT: After watching the vid a second time, you can definitely see him missing keys a few times on the Nexus 4, which alludes to my point earlier about touch points being smaller. Not sure why that is...

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I wonder if you're just looking for a difference.

I don't have an iPhone 5 to compare and I did a comparison on my iPad 3rd Gen which is not the same thing, but there was no noticeable difference. And when I did use my friend's iPhone 5, the touch response wasn't so vastly different or superior for me to take any notice. In fact, if anything, I noticed the weather wouldn't launch from the Notification Center even after a few taps. I posted about this a while back. When asked, my friend said yeah, sometimes the device isn't responsive or the action doesn't happen on the first tap. Sometimes it requires more than one tap. I've noticed this oddity on my iPad 3 too. And they are taps that are registered (the icons gray out). The action just doesn't actually follow.

So, I don't know.

Check out Pocket Now's iPhone 5 vs Nexus 4 video. A few times, he does comparisons of what apps launch faster, which reorients text faster when browsing, etc., where you can see him touching both screens at roughly the same time (he'll do little countdowns). There is so little perceived difference, if any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=MIWYp6ZXe-s

And if there is in any difference for any side's favor, the difference seems extremely minuscule. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PS. This video was made before the Chrome update that came out a couple of days ago.

EDIT: After watching the vid a second time, you can definitely see him missing keys a few times on the Nexus 4, which alludes to my point earlier about touch points being smaller. Not sure why that is...

Yeah, I've watched that video a few times and he compares exactly some of the things I'm referring to. For example he makes a big deal out of pinch to zoom and how it's not nearly as responsive on the nexus 4 as it is the iPhone. Or even the galaxy nexus. I tested all three of these phones together tonight and the LG unfortunately was the least responsive. In the video he thinks it has to do with the new screen technology that incorporates the touch sensors with the glass.

This might be something that some people can get used to though. I just don't know if I can. For others it may not be that big of deal.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I've watched that video a few times and he compares exactly some of the things I'm referring to. For example he makes a big deal out of pinch to zoom and how it's not nearly as responsive on the nexus 4 as it is the iPhone. Or even the galaxy nexus. I tested all three of these phones together tonight and the LG unfortunately was the least responsive. In the video he thinks it has to do with the new screen technology that incorporates the touch sensors with the glass.

This might be something that some people can get used to though. I just don't know if I can. For others it may not be that big of deal.

Fair enough.

Does anyone else think it's absolutely silly that Google doesn't allow you to customize Quick Settings? Why would they not allow us to choose which settings we want quick access to?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Fair enough.

Does anyone else think it's absolutely silly that Google doesn't allow you to customize Quick Settings? Why would they not allow us to choose which settings we want quick access to?

Yes, and I also wish they were actually toggles as many have said before but its worth mentioning again.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
for me, i have both the IP5 and the nexus 4..i live in an area where i get full bars of ATT...and the one thing i hate the most is battery life on the nexus 4....its awful..i dont get it. The google play website says 15 hours...i get like 6-7, which is the same as my IP5 but the IP5 has LTE whereas the N4 doesnt! I am really hoping it gets fixed by software or someone on XDA

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
for me, i have both the IP5 and the nexus 4..i live in an area where i get full bars of ATT...and the one thing i hate the most is battery life on the nexus 4....its awful..i dont get it. The google play website says 15 hours...i get like 6-7, which is the same as my IP5 but the IP5 has LTE whereas the N4 doesnt! I am really hoping it gets fixed by software or someone on XDA

That's all you are getting on the iPhone 5? I got 16 hours on mine yesterday. 8 hours of on screen time. I get almost exactly half that on my nexus 4.

Edit: to be fair, I was on wifi most of the day yesterday. But today looks like it's shaping up to be a similar battery life day and I was off wifi for most of the day.

Last edited:

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
But you forgot to mention the number one positive. Able to use it on $10 unlimited ATT feature phone plan without any throttling.

Even using WAP.Cingular still able to get 4-6 mpbs consistently. Who cares if I can't hit 8-13 mpbs with hspa plus cause of $10 unlimited data plan since nexus 4 isn't recognized as smartphone by att

Anyone confirm this. Sounds like the deal of a lifetime.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
-***So this is important***: Is it me or did the touch points get smaller? I think this may be the reason why some people say the device is "unresponsive." It's not unresponsive. I just think the touch points have gotten smaller. Maybe it's something to do with the resolution change? I don't know. I find myself missing the home button every now and then. Bare in mind, this is not me hitting the home button, the device registering the hit (with the graying effect) and the home button not reacting or reacting slowly. I'm 100% missing the home button. Because otherwise, when I do hit it, it's instantaneous. As is App Switcher. I find I have to be a little more accurate with my presses. Again, could be a matter of adjusting to the new resolution, screen size? Not sure.

Why would the touch points have become smaller? The resolution is only a pixel per inch denser than the Galaxy Nexus, and the screen is only slightly bigger, by 48 pixels lengthwise (4.65" vs 4.7"). There shouldn't be a massive difference- the N4's screen is barely bigger.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Why would the touch points have become smaller? The resolution is only a pixel per inch denser than the Galaxy Nexus, and the screen is only slightly bigger, by 48 pixels lengthwise (4.65" vs 4.7"). There shouldn't be a massive difference- the N4's screen is barely bigger.

There are ways to test this. If you are a hair off the home button and repeatedly tap that spot you won't ever hit the home button. But if you move a hair closer and still repeatedly tap you'll constantly be hitting the home button as evidenced by the repeated graying effect. Move a hair off again and no more graying effect.

On my Galaxy Nexus I don't have to be as close to the home button to continuously tap it. As I said in my review there's a clear difference between getting lag and missing the icon entirely. It's not hard at all to tell the difference.

But that was mainly with the first few days. After adjusting to the screen size (it's only a small difference but it does still take adjusting from using another phone for almost a year) I'm not having any problems anymore. Touch response has been spectacular. I've never typed more comfortably in my life.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
There are ways to test this. If you are a hair off the home button and repeatedly tap that spot you won't ever hit the home button. But if you move a hair closer and still repeatedly tap you'll constantly be hitting the home button as evidenced by the repeated graying effect. Move a hair off again and no more graying effect.

On my Galaxy Nexus I don't have to be as close to the home button to continuously tap it. As I said in my review there's a clear difference between getting lag and missing the icon entirely. It's not hard at all to tell the difference.

Why would that be the case though? That sounds strange. Why would you move to a bigger screen, yet receive a smaller hitbox for the home button than a device with a smaller screen?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Why would that be the case though? That sounds strange. Why would you move to a bigger screen, yet receive a smaller hitbox for the home button than a device with a smaller screen?

Don't know. That's my question. Maybe it's just my imagination too. As I said in my OP, I'm not sure what to attribute this to.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Anyone confirm this. Sounds like the deal of a lifetime.

It does work. I've been using the $10 unlimited data plan for "non smartphones" with Nexus 4.

It's $15 if you don't have unlimited family text messaging. But $10 if you have unlimited family texts.

ATT does not recognize the Nexus 4 has a smartphone and it shows up as unknown device.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I posted this in the "Android battery" thread, but it needs to go here too:

It's barely been a week with the Nexus 4 and I'm finding the battery life disappointing. It just doesn't make any sense why a larger capacity battery, quad core, lcd screen (where colors don't matter), running the latest software, and on hspa+ can't beat, much less match, the battery life I got on my gsm galaxy nexus. It makes zero sense. I think Google needs to come out with an update to address this. Where is the promised 15+ hour talk time? I'm using my Nexus 4 more or less the same way and amount as my GN. But when I come home the nexus 4 is at a much lower battery.

At the end of the day, I trust Google to act faster than I trust Apple to give users more freedom and screen size options. If I'm not mistaken the GN when first released had battery issues. As did the 4S. I'll be patient but the fix needs to definitely happen.

EDIT: Welp, I'm reading the culprit of the battery drain might be the earpiece constantly buzzing, which is an issue I have, which is a hardware problem. So no update will ever fix that. May have to exchange.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.