Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunterzyph

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
-The AirPort card uses a Broadcom BCM4331 single-chip WLAN solution and three Wi-Fi antennas.
Why is Apple hesitating to jump on the 802.11ac bandwagon? They're were on 802.11n very early on and it didn't come back to bite them.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
Here's the deal, iFixit MAKES MONEY from repairing machines and trying to convince users they too can repair crap if they purchase their tools. So their "3 out of 10" is basically just their profit margins going down. Of course they are going to be "disappointed..."

I'm not sure if they missed it, but this is an ALL IN ONE machine, which by their very nature aren't generally easy to bust open and start swapping things out.

Besides, by the time you are in dire need of upgrading the CPU, Intel switches sockets on ya.

In short, it's cool to see how they are put together, but iFixit's "ratings" are dumb when done on devices like this, Apple or not.

One of the most important things with computers is upgradability. Why spend $2000 for a computer only for it to no longer have the minimum requirements needed 3-5 years from now, and then shell out another $2000. It's a waste of money, and resources (so much for environmental sustainability). You are the type of customer that will just shell out money without looking into cheaper alternatives such as upgradings part on a slightly older but still perfectly useable computer.

In any case, does this concern iFixit's profit line? Yes, of course, they are a business. But you make it sound as though that they are a self-serving business that provide absolutely no positive service for consumer, when that is not the case at all. Their repair guides are extremely useful (which are free and publicly available) and have helped me more than a dozen times in repairing and upgrading my various computers over the years. Oh, and for the record, what does Apple provide for self-servicing your Apple device? Nothing, nada. Apple's technician guides are not publicly distributed (unless you know how to find it online) and the funny thing is there is nothing that is rocket science in those books. Let's just say that if you can build Legos, you can upgrade a computer easily.

And when your warranty runs out and your trackpad breaks down? Should you really have Apple charge you $200 for the repair, when you can do it yourself for $30 by finding the part on eBay and using a little common sense?

If there is any company that is only concerning their own profit-margins without any net benefit to the user, it's Apple. It only benefits them by making Apple computers not upgradable because then it coerces the consumer to buy a new computer. All for what? A microscopic .000001" reduction in thickness that you can't even notice?

Look at the Macbook Pro Retina, which is the worst computer in terms of upgradability. Once the battery craps out (which Applecare won't cover), you have to spend $200 to get it upgraded, and if you did it yourself it would cost $500. Before that model, even the Macbook Pros were considered "unupgradable" but in reality, all you had to do was remove the lid, and simply unplug the old battery with a new one (which goes for $50 brand new on eBay versus from Apple which charges $130!).

tl;dr - Don't blame iFixit, they're providing a valuable service to consumers that Apple, selfishly and deliberately, is hindering. If Apple makes their future Macbook Pros unupgradable (i.e. RAM, Hard Drive, and most importantly the battery), then I will choose not to buy another Macbook and go back to Windows (which I haven't done in 8 years now).

Last edited by a moderator:

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
So it's going to fall to pieces after 6 months?

Was that really necessary!? I was simply pointing out that this is the first Apple product that I've even seen that was assembled in the USA.

And besides, it is known, at least here in the US, that products made here a usually higher quality than those made overseas.

Last edited:

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Was that really necessary!? I was simply pointing that this is the first Apple product that I've even seen that was assembled in the USA.

And besides, it is known, at least here in the US, that products made here a usually higher quality than those made overseas.

Its not made in the US, only assembled. I would suspect that only a certain number of them are, like they used to do with the Mac Pros. Certainly doesn't make sense from a cost point of view as all the parts are made in China and most likely within a few 100 miles or less of the assembly plant.

EDIT: On second thought, maybe the stir welding is done in the US in which case it would make sense to assemble the final unit here.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Despite the repairability concerns, early praise for the design of the new iMac was largely positive.

What do ifixit's real repearability and upgradability concerns have to do with a couple of reviews that have cropped up, one of them coming from the verge, the biggest suck ups to apple this universe over, surpassing even the arch behind kisser Gruber. I am into apple computer and gear and I find the verge utterly distasteful and unbearable in terms apple reviews.

To put it bluntly, if you want an objective assessment of an apple product, don't EVER read a review from the verge, simple as that, they 've outdone ai and Dan Dilger, that's quite a feat...

Btw, might need to hire an editor there, I 've not heard of any praise ever being largely negative...:rolleyes:

Easy on the sauce.

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
What do ifixit's real repearability and upgradability concerns have to do with a couple of reviews that have cropped up, one of them coming from the verge, the biggest suck ups to apple this universe over, surpassing even the arch behind kisser Gruber. I am into apple computer and gear and I find the verge utterly distasteful and unbearable in terms apple reviews.

To put it bluntly, if you want an objective assessment of an apple product, don't EVER read a review from the verge, simple as that, they 've outdone ai and Dan Dilger, that's quite a feat...

Btw, might need to hire an editor there, I 've not heard of any praise ever being largely negative...:rolleyes:

Easy on the sauce.

Somebody here reads Engadget...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Sweet mercy no...

I just finished 4 projects in a row, for 4 different clients, and not one asked for it back on a disc. They wanted full, 32-bit 2k digital videos, or a plain 1080p .mov on thumb drives or external drives.

What was their final delivery to the market on? The web...

There MAY be a case for blu ray, but we all know Apple's stance on that. So I think most gladly nothing over a lil cd/dvd combo drive.
It is a design choice. Two Thunderbolt ports for 12 devices, 4 USB 3.0 for many more. A 27 inch has memory access panel. Many industries have dropped fasteners for adhesives the heat gun is the new screw driver. My Macpro has very easy access to HD/Ram but my new 21.5 runs rings around it ;)

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
When you have AppleCare, why bother repairing it yourself? One of the key advantages in getting a Mac is that it isn't some PC you either have to try to fix yourself or go thru hell to get support for it.

Because your average Mid Tower, or mini tower PC is easily repairable, expandable, and more dependable than newer iMacs. It doesn't need special tools to be repaired, and any PC shop will repair it no problem.

PS: Before you say " LOLZ YOU HATE APPLEZ ", I own tons of Macs, and I have a 2011 iMac, its not dependable, or reparible, and its poorly engineered.

And lots of PC OEMs give you a 2-3 year warranty for free.

Last edited:

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Its not made in the US, only assembled. I would suspect that only a certain number of them are, like they used to do with the Mac Pros. Certainly doesn't make sense from a cost point of view as all the parts are made in China and most likely within a few 100 miles or less of the assembly plant.

Yes of course the entire computer isn't made here. But I never knew Apple assembled or made any of their products here.

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
Why is the iMac thin anyhow?

Can any of you true-believers tell us why the iMac desktop computer needs an ultra thin display? Packing things in tighter always has tradeoffs and I don't understand what the benefits here are.

Clearly, there are benefits to smaller and lighter with a portable device such as a laptop, but just why would you choose to give up upgradability and repairability for the very minor aesthetic of a thinner profile when looked at from the side?

eim23x

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2011
Bad, if you want to upgrade RAM yourself or anything else that requires removing the front glass. Makes me glad I bought a 2011.

That not correct on RAM, there in the back where power plug is
to push button and RAM slot opens.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Stick an optical drive back in it Tim. Also how much does it cost Apple for "all" that componentry? And how big would the bulge in back of the iMac be if they hadn't used the highest profile cooling fan they could possibly find mounted on top of the single speaker that's in the iMac?

Ain't gonna happen, the only current Apple's with DVD are MBP (non retina) and the Mac Pro, Apple is not going to take a backward step to put in DVD or BluRay and I say its a good thing. The one problem I've had with my 2005 G5 tower is the DVD, replacing it twice. Relatively easy to do in the G5 Tower, a nightmare in the iMac. Now if your DVD fails just unplug and get another... period the best move Apple made with the new iMac.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
a lot of people are about to complain saying that the new iMac isn't repairable. these same people would have never replaced an LCD in their iMac anyway.

that's complete rubbish. Any power computer user (as loosely defined as that may be) knows one of THE most important aspects when buying a desktop is repairability and upgradability, because parts age and fail and have to be replaced. To a lot of people it's a joy too, and hobby to get some more ram, a better hd, an ssd later on, and tweak their computer a bit to extend it's age, or simply for the fun of it.

There are countless users, even novice ones who have added drives, memory, or did other minor tweaks and modifications, and even repairs to their macs. To claim that people complaining about repairability ( eg to throw some more ram in you have to cross your heart and play strip poker for a few hours with the imac so you can pretty much take everything out and go at the very backside of the mobo to get to it) are those who 'd have never done any repairs to it is simply bonkers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.