Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi I just bought a 2006 Mac Pro A1186 I was wondering if 64 Bit version of Windows could be installed on it? I was also wondering what other cool stuff I could add to the machine? Also if I can add all my harddrives that are as big as 1TB each?

Last edited:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Yes you can install 64bit windows on it but its not particularly straightforward, if I recall, when I did it on my 1,1 I had to burn an ISO of 64 bit windows 7 adding a few things to it to get it to work, don't remember exactly but I am sure someone here can provide links. You can add your drives that are 1, 2 or 3TB no problem. There are many threads here by people how have done many upgrades to their 1,1 so read them to see what you can do.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Yes you can install 64bit windows on it but its not particularly straightforward, if I recall, when I did it on my 1,1 I had to burn an ISO of 64 bit windows 7 adding a few things to it to get it to work, don't remember exactly but I am sure someone here can provide links. You can add your drives that are 1, 2 or 3TB no problem. There are many threads here by people how have done many upgrades to their 1,1 so read them to see what you can do.

Hi can Mountain Lion be installed on it too? Did you use Bootcamp to install Windows?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Hi can Mountain Lion be installed on it too? Did you use Bootcamp to install Windows?

As already stated, Mountain Lion is not supported on the 1,1, there are 'hacks' to install it, but Lion is the last supported versino of OSX.

I did use bootcamp to install Windows 7 64 bit, yes.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If my memory works well....

that MacPro uses a 32-bit EFI, so I dont think so about 64-bit Windows. Storage? That computer uses SATA (3 Gb/s). So any disk with that specification theorethicallywill work. Last thing I remember, Apple only supports up to 2TB in this model, with the preferred configuration of 4 500.0 GB discs:):apple:

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
the EFI has nothing to do with running Windows, the Xeon's are 64bit, so it can run a 64 bit version of windows just fine.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi just got the Mac Pro its a 2.1 model, now I am having issues, with the RAM only reading 16GB /7.99 usable on Windows 7. All the RAM reads on Snow Leopard. I had to reinstall everything I had an issue and now everything not working correct, before that all the RAM read 16GB, the video cards are acting funny refusing to install the Nvidia drivers and only installing the WDDm default ones, and it froze up once, but I think I fixed the freeze it had than the fans going all loud and using SMC to reset it. Now I just want it to be working correct lol its driving me crazy. I even had SLI working some how on it I wish I had everything back how it was.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi guys I got a lot of the issues fixed, I seen someone here had the same issue with the RAM not reading correct and I used there remedy and it worked out :) I got the video cards working, I think there is something wrong with one of the ports or if I am using too much power. I am using 4 harddrives also I got the drivers working for Nvidia, no SLI yet. I havnt had a bsod at all after removing one of the video cards. The one problem I still have is the humming issue which I think its the fan behind the power supply but I dont have the time to take that apart, also I cut my thumb :| I am putting back everything I have and also cleaning my desk area lol

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi can anyone tell me the highest video card that a 2.1 Mac Pro could handle? I am looking to get 512MB or 1GB video card just not sure what to get just yet. I tried a GT 220 and it refused to boot with it.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Hi I just bought a 2006 Mac Pro A1186 I was wondering if 64 Bit version of Windows could be installed on it? I was also wondering what other cool stuff I could add to the machine? Also if I can add all my harddrives that are as big as 1TB each?

1TB drives will work just fine in the 2006 Mac Pro. I had three + 1 500gb drive in the internal 4 bays.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Hi can anyone tell me the highest video card that a 2.1 Mac Pro could handle? I am looking to get 512MB or 1GB video card just not sure what to get just yet. I tried a GT 220 and it refused to boot with it.

What OS are you using? Check the FAQ thread that is stickied at the top of this forum.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi I have Snow Leopard installed, I seen that the 8800GT is still a good video card but I am wondering if I can go higher than that.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi I read the whole thing, but would 3rd party video cards of the same series and type work like if I would get an 8800GT from somewhere else? Also I am having an issue with all 4 graphics when I have 4 in the computer crashes on Windows 7.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I have a 1,1 and it runs most everything fine. The hard drives are no problem, and I am sure they will use newer-bigger drives for quite a while into the future.

Just installed Windows 32-bit to be safe. Beware the installation process--it can be hellish. I got it running via VirtualBox because BootCamp was futzing the process and I didn't have a PC to burn a new DVD with some minor changes to some small Windows 8 files that allow it to install without CD-ROM messages/errors at startup.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
Hi does anyone know if you RAID two drives if you would be able to install Bootcamp or it only works with Mac OS?

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
Hi does anyone know if you RAID two drives if you would be able to install Bootcamp or it only works with Mac OS?

If you put two drives in RAID without using a RAID controller, then you would be utilizing software RAID and that is not supported for bootcamp. You are always better off, if possible, have a separate drive for windows for bootcamp.

MacGuruTX

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
You can use 2tb drives. I have 3 in my MacPro 1,1

that MacPro uses a 32-bit EFI, so I dont think so about 64-bit Windows. Storage? That computer uses SATA (3 Gb/s). So any disk with that specification theorethicallywill work. Last thing I remember, Apple only supports up to 2TB in this model, with the preferred configuration of 4 500.0 GB discs:):apple:

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
I use...

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 with 4 1TB, in this config:

Bay 1, installed XP x64, there are some old forum post for pseudo-bootcamp hacks

Take out Bay 1 drive

Bay 2, installed Win7 x64, using "some kind of efi conditioning" here are the links I saved

http://timothybrown.tumblr.com/post/110271493/installing-windows-7-x64-on-a-mac-pro-late-2006

Bay 3 and Bay 4 RAID 1 Mirror with Lion Installed

External FW 800 1 TB for Backup

Everything has been running for 2 years no problems.

I use WinClone 3.5 to make image backups of the Windows volumes

If you ever need to start over you make a "Just installed version" image (WinClone) about 16-32 GB depending what you want as your base, and you never have to take out XP bay 1/2 drive if you need to redo your install of Windows 7 or XP x64. Select Vista MBR option in WinClone and the XP ini option. Use option key to boot pick your Windows version. You have to format GUID for Windows 7, for everything to be smooth, and MBR for XP x64. If you setup the XP x64 hacks you can use the Bootcamp Control Panel in XP x64 and Win 7 x64 to pick your Boot Volume, oh you also need Paragon NTFS, to make the boot volume a windows one in Lion.

It has a Radeon 5770 and 16 GB so for Mountain Lion there are some work arounds but it would be miserable, which is fine why? I am getting a 2013 Mac Pro and this machine will be my PC for gaming with a KVM.

Oh you need this for Bootcamp 4 drivers

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/...s-x-10-6-snow-leopard-windows-7-x64-love.aspx

Download them from some other Machine, I don't think you can get them while running Lion on 1,1. I can't remember. I downed them from my MacBook Pro and did the msiexec line in cmd, that will run the msi and install the drivers, the location is tricky I think but you can figure the rest out

Have fun

Last edited:

TawhidKhan

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Hi there,
i have a Mac Pro Intel Quard Core Tower (A1186) Im using Windows 7 64Bit. What version of bootcamp should i download to get all the drivers?
got a ATI HD 5870 (1GB) Graphics Card! Should i Power it up from the logic (mother) board or power supply?
Someone please help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.