Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I can understand that comment if it was coming from Apple, but as a consumer, why do you view Google/Samsung as your opposition?

I sell iOS Apps.
The Android apps I develop at work are for in-house use only, so I don't really see a conflict of interest.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple is just an amazing company. The fact that Android fans visit this site just as much as Apple fans supports that notion.

I've never visited a single Android forum - and before the iPhone 5 came out I owned a Razr Maxx.

Do they even have forums? Do Apple fans EVER visit them? lol

You can have and Android smartphone AND Apple products.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The computers designed by Seymour Cray for CDC were marketed as supercomputers. But most early photos of supercomputers are of the Cray-1, which ran at 80 MHz, and could sustain a throughput of some matrix math at up to 240 megaflops, but weighed over 7 tons and required a 150 kilowatt power source. An iPhone 3G could almost sustain that amount of flops, and on battery power. A 3GS was a bit slower at DP flops, but the iPhone 5 is a lot faster at FP throughput.
Thank you for responding to my point and verifying it. Hmmm. 7 tons. I am pretty sure an iPhone or iPad Mini are slightly lighter than that. :D

Thin client.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Apple is just an amazing company. The fact that Android fans visit this site just as much as Apple fans supports that notion.

I've never visited a single Android forum - and before the iPhone 5 came out I owned a Razr Maxx.

So in you world, it's impossible for a person to be an Android fan and an Apple fan?

And fyi, there are plenty of Android forums. Can't believe you asked such a ridiculous question.

Last edited:

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008

Right, because if you prefer an Android phone over an iPhone, you must not own a MacBook or iMac or Apple TV or iPad.

The fact that Android fans visit this site merely supports the notion that it's possible to own both an Apple product and non-Apple product. (gasp, I know)

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
The funny part of this post is...

I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.

Samsung spends almost 20X more on cost of sales and marketing than Apple. 20X the cost of sales and they only get about 2X the number of unit sales and substantially less revenue. But the sheep will keep thinking Apple is "just marketing".

kdarling

macrumors P6
Just the fact that apple only sells 3 phones (2 old models) at a time while the other competition will sell dozens of new just shows how well apple is doing in the phone market.
with just one model! that's impressive.

The chart is not about number of models nor their current sales.

The chart shows the number of current subscribers of a certain brand. That includes people using second or third hand phones. For example, even an iPhone 3G user counts.

Is this all phones or just smartphones?
If so pretty impressive considering Apple only makes smartphones.

It's for all phones in the US.

Btw, while 50% of US sales are now smartphones, I think actual smartphone subscriber base is still around 30%. So it's even more impressive.

Remember when the first iPhone was released, Jobs said he'd be happy with capturing just 1% of the smartphone market. And at that time, many analysts were predicting that it would be difficult for Apple to do even that. "It doesn't have a physical keyboard!"

The main reason why analysts didn't think the first iPhone would do well, was that it cost $500 for the 4GB model and $600 for the 8GB. US consumers weren't used to paying anywhere near that amount.

And they were right. Sure enough, sales slacked off quickly and Apple had to radically drop the price about two months later. Again, sales soon dropped. So Apple went with the usual subsidized price method for the next iPhone model, and sales took off.

Last edited:

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Samsung spends almost 20X more on cost of sales and marketing than Apple. 20X the cost of sales and they only get about 2X the number of unit sales and substantially less revenue. But the sheep will keep thinking Apple is "just marketing".

You NoNothing :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why is Samsung on top, other than tons and tons of marketing? Are their phones really the best Android phones out there?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
with just one model! that's impressive.

Seriously. Apple has only one model, and they still beat LG, who have lots of hot phones these days and are hitting on all cylinders. Apple beat them easily with just one model. They are unstoppable.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
You can have and Android smartphone AND Apple products.

I'm thinking that Android is better for phones while iOS may be best for tablets.

The jury is still out, but Windows 8 on a tablet might be friggin great. I'd think that a 15 inch tablet running a full OS with touch-centric tendencies might be what everybody has been waiting for. Especially if you can just pop it into a cradle to convert it into a full desktop or into a regular laptop.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
if you comparing 3 iPhones (means 3 years) then for competitors 'dozens' is very low figure, i think it will be many more models.

Apple sells 18 different models actually. Go count them. And if you think these 19 are actually all the same phone, do you really think the 10-30 "different" models Sammy sells are actually that much different than each other? Plus, you are assuming all of Samsung's models are selling in equal amounts. Truth is, the bulk of their sales are probably from less than 5 models.

Last edited:

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I'm thinking that Android is better for phones while iOS may be best for tablets.

The jury is still out, but Windows 8 on a tablet might be friggin great. I'd think that a 15 inch tablet running a full OS with touch-centric tendencies might be what everybody has been waiting for. Especially if you can just pop it into a cradle to convert it into a full desktop or into a regular laptop.

Microsoft already tried that and it was a huge fail. Maybe second time around they will be more successful?

Microsoft had tablet--laptops long before the iPad. People just didn't want them.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Why is Samsung on top, other than tons and tons of marketing? Are their phones really the best Android phones out there?

They have lots of good phones. The Galaxy S series has been very good, with the S III being one of the best phones currently out there for a variety of reasons, and with the S II still selling well at a discounted price. Then there's the Galaxy Note and Note 2, which are also reportedly selling well. Samsung also has a slew of lesser phones spanning most every major and minor carrier.

"The best phone out there" changes often, and different phones always have various strengths and weaknesses. These days, lots of people really like the HTC One X/One S. It is beautiful and works well. Others like the Nexus 4 a lot.

I expect that in January, we'll see even newer and even better phones, including another viable candidate for "best" from Samsung.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder why people come on an apple website & are surprised that people praise the iPhone over android? Lol...inferiority complex much?

Because while praising the iPhone, they also thrash the competition. Besides this website is called MACrumors not iRumors.

geoffreykim

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Apple days are over

GM three generations
IBM two generations
Apple one generation
Good job, Steves!

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
"comScore's data tracks installed base rather than sales figures, so it reflects well on real-world usage rather than immediate market trends"

So I guess that is why decided to skip the Smartphone Platform Market Share chart right under this one - lets all put our heads in the sand 1, 2, 3... :rolleyes:

donileo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.

This dude above is completely ignorant... You want to see who the king of marketing is? Here.. Educate yourself. Samsung alone spent more on: marketing, advertising and paying people commissions on the street to sell Galaxies, than all other Tech Players combined. The company which spends the least on Adverstising and marketing is Apple. Their products speak for themselves. Apple Spent $1B in Marketing this year.. not much different then last year or the year before. Samsung? $8B!

Educate yourself-->http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Good for the USA! Now if only Google would support their own American company Motorola instead of giving all of their money to Korea.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Microsoft already tried that and it was a huge fail. Maybe second time around they will be more successful?

Microsoft had tablet--laptops long before the iPad. People just didn't want them.

The biggest differences are the touched based OS and the thin and light form factor. Other than that, I guess that they will be pretty much just like the turn-of-the-century Windows tablets.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.