Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
About a week ago I got a verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, I paid full price for it because I'm not a verizon customer. I bought it because people told me it was unlocked but I still didn't had the chance to test with a different sim card!
So I saw the MacRumors posted that the official factory unlocked version of the iphone will be out soon and I'm wondering if I would be able, when it releases, to exchange my verizon full price iphone, to the unlocked one! They would be both the same price.

I know the verizon is already unlocked but I would be more comfortable getting that one! And btw, I never really used mine, never took the protectors off and even the accessories are still sealed, so it's pretty much brand new and unused still

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
About a week ago I got a verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, I paid full price for it because I'm not a verizon customer. I bought it because people told me it was unlocked but I still didn't had the chance to test with a different sim card!
So I saw the MacRumors posted that the official factory unlocked version of the iphone will be out soon and I'm wondering if I would be able, when it releases, to exchange my verizon full price iphone, to the unlocked one! They would be both the same price.

I know the verizon is already unlocked but I would be more comfortable getting that one! And btw, I never really used mine, never took the protectors off and even the accessories are still sealed, so it's pretty much brand new and unused still
You have 30 days to return phone. After that, Apple will likely tell you that the unlocked version, and the Verizon version are one in the same.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
You have 30 days to return phone. After that, Apple will likely tell you that the unlocked version, and the Verizon version are one in the same.

Can I just exchange the verizon iphone for the unlocked one when it releases though?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
It depends which unlocked version do you want. With the unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 you can access LTE in the US and Canada and 3G in all other countries.

With the Verizon unlocked iPhone 5 LTE is only with Verizon and other carriers 3G.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
It depends which unlocked version do you want. With the unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 you can access LTE in the US and Canada and 3G in all other countries.

With the Verizon unlocked iPhone 5 LTE is only with Verizon and other carriers 3G.

I'm currently in the US but I'm going to Brazil and none of the carriers there supports LTE so I'm not really worried about that, as long as I have 3G. I do know the verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked and I got mine from best buy, it came with a verizon sim and it activated just fine but I heard some people saying that they had problems activating with a different carrier so I'm kinda worried.. But still like 99% of people sy it does works perfect as an unlocked phone. But if possible I would exchange for the official factory unlocked when it releases.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I'm currently in the US but I'm going to Brazil and none of the carriers there supports LTE so I'm not really worried about that, as long as I have 3G. I do know the verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked and I got mine from best buy, it came with a verizon sim and it activated just fine but I heard some people saying that they had problems activating with a different carrier so I'm kinda worried.. But still like 99% of people sy it does works perfect as an unlocked phone. But if possible I would exchange for the official factory unlocked when it releases.

Just so you know both the AT&T and the Verizon phones are unlocked. Apple has been selling both of them unlocked since day one they just didn't advertise it. It really depends on what frequencies you will be using for LTE. I believe that the 3G will be the same for both. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
They are testing LTE in Sao Paulo. The Apple official unlocked iPhone is the GSM US version. So you can use LTE in the US and Canada and possibly in Sao Paulo depending which GSM version they are testing in Brazil.

By the way, I'm also headed to Brazil in 3 weeks. I'm taking a few unlocked iPhone 5s with me to sell while I"m there.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
They are testing LTE in Sao Paulo. The Apple official unlocked iPhone is the GSM US version. So you can use LTE in the US and Canada and possibly in Sao Paulo depending which GSM version they are testing in Brazil.

By the way, I'm also headed to Brazil in 3 weeks. I'm taking a few unlocked iPhone 5s with me to sell while I"m there.

a3a7aqu8.jpg

As you can see on that image, the Verizon iPhone support much more LTE bands than AT&T, hopefully they will support one or the many Verizon iPhone supports!

But whether they implement LTE in Brazil soon or not, I don't really mind that, as long as I have at least 3G I'm more than happy

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Your fine. Your Verizon iPhone 5 was unlocked from day one. So your able to use LTE here in the U.S. and when you go to Brazil just buy a prepaid nanoSIM card install it in your Verizon iPhone 5 and your set. The only thing is. You will be using 3G instead of LTE.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
It's already unlocked so you have nothing to worry about. But if you are still doubting it return your phone and buy the unlocked one.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I travel abroad to Brazil, the Caribbean and to Canada. The AT&T unlocked version is better for me since I can use LTE in at least 2 places I am in or traveling to.

jonslider

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
this question interests me, because it is a chance to clear up what an unlocked iPhone is good for

for example, and unlocked USA Verizon iPhone, is NOT compatible with Tmobile USA, nor ATT USA, if I understand the GSM and CDMA difference. Please correct me if mistaken.

Similarly, and unlocked ATT USA iPhone will not work on Verizon, nor Sprint, afaik, again, please correct me if mistaken.

So, to the OP, if you plan to go to Brazil, I think you need to figure out if you need a CDMA or a GSM phone.

Maybe someone can explain the difference in CDMA and GSM iPhone compatibility.

Some differences I think I know, is that the ATT iPhone, which is GSM, uses SIM cards, and you can simultaneously talk on the phone and use data.

otoh, the Verizon iPhone does not use a SIM card, or does it? And the Verizon iPhone will not multitask voice and data.

To the OP, I suggest you return your Verizon phone for refund, and buy an ATT phone instead.

Also, IF you buy an ATT iPhone, under contract in the USA (no need to pay full price), you can easily unlock it, for a very small price.. see
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec370795c

pocky

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
San Gabriel Valley
They will and can work with each other. I had a T-mob sim inside a Verizon iPhone.

However, the Verizon iPhone would have more advantage on AT&T's network, vs using a AT&T i5 on Verizon's network since that phone does not have CDMA.

No LTE on either devices since the bands are different

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
They will and can work with each other. I had a T-mob sim inside a Verizon iPhone.

However, the Verizon iPhone would have more advantage on AT&T's network, vs using a AT&T i5 on Verizon's network since that phone does not have CDMA.

No LTE on either devices since the bands are different

Actually you cant use an AT&T iphone 5 on verizon and you cant use a factory unlocked US iphone 5 on verizon either.
The only i5 you can use with Verizon is the one locked/sold for verizon only.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
this question interests me, because it is a chance to clear up what an unlocked iPhone is good for

for example, and unlocked USA Verizon iPhone, is NOT compatible with Tmobile USA, nor ATT USA, if I understand the GSM and CDMA difference. Please correct me if mistaken.

Similarly, and unlocked ATT USA iPhone will not work on Verizon, nor Sprint, afaik, again, please correct me if mistaken.

So, to the OP, if you plan to go to Brazil, I think you need to figure out if you need a CDMA or a GSM phone.

Maybe someone can explain the difference in CDMA and GSM iPhone compatibility.

Some differences I think I know, is that the ATT iPhone, which is GSM, uses SIM cards, and you can simultaneously talk on the phone and use data.

otoh, the Verizon iPhone does not use a SIM card, or does it? And the Verizon iPhone will not multitask voice and data.

To the OP, I suggest you return your Verizon phone for refund, and buy an ATT phone instead.

Also, IF you buy an ATT iPhone, under contract in the USA (no need to pay full price), you can easily unlock it, for a very small price.. see
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec370795c

Since the iPhone 4S, Verizon comes with a GSM port just like AT&T, and on iPhone 5 it is unlocked on Verizon! I just put an inactivated AT&T sim in my Verizon iPhone 5 and it showed no signal because it was inactive, but when I go to settings-about, right next to carrier it shows AT&T 13.0

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
I bought an Verizon iPhone 5 device only at apple store, it doesn't work after I insert tmobile sim. It shows 'no sim'.

Anyone has idea what I can do?why everybody here says it's unlocked?

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I bought an Verizon iPhone 5 device only at apple store, it doesn't work after I insert tmobile sim. It shows 'no sim'.

It is unlocked! Maybe you have a bad sim or something. Did you have to cut your sim? If so maybe you cut wrong so it doesn't recognize it, try with a different sim and let us know!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Verizon iPhone 5 is the same as the unlocked international version (not to be confused with the device-only unlocked AT&T iPhone 5). I see no reason to return it.

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
It is unlocked! Maybe you have a bad sim or something. Did you have to cut your sim? If so maybe you cut wrong so it doesn't recognize it, try with a different sim and let us know!

I cut my SIM card and called tmobile, apple. They both said my iPhone 5 is locked to Verizon. Maybe I need to active with Verizon first, them it will unlocked?

----------

The Verizon iPhone 5 is the same as the unlocked international version (not to be confused with the device-only unlocked AT&T iPhone 5). I see no reason to return it.

Do you mean it can't work with us t-mobile even I paid full price?

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I cut my SIM card and called tmobile, apple. They both said my iPhone 5 is locked to Verizon. Maybe I need to active with Verizon first, them it will unlocked?

----------

They say it's locked to verizon, but call verizon and ask, they will say it is unlocked!
Verizon said officially that it is unlocked

----------

----------

You probably screwed up when you cut you SIM card, because if your phone is UNLOCKED, it will either say the name of the carrier, or no service. If your phone is LOCKED it will say INVALID SIM.
So since it said No Sim i'm assuming the sim card is the problem?
Anywawys

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Are you absolutely sure you got the Verizon model? The Sprint model and Verizon model are both model A1429. The Verizon phone is unlocked, the Sprint is not.

marcelo4527

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Are you absolutely sure you got the Verizon model? The Sprint model and Verizon model are both model A1429. The Verizon phone is unlocked, the Sprint is not.

I agree! I know someone in this forum that asked for the verizon model and the seller gave the sprint one by mistake!

Does your iPhone comes with a verizon SIM? If not the it's pry sprint

You can also go to Settings-General-About and then look for the item "Carrier" and see if it says verizon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.