Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codythekid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
One of my friends and I have both have a MacBook Pro with Retina, and we are trying to play a game through steam together (Borderlands 2). My internet is very slow however, and I was wondering if there is any way to simply play over the WLAN that the MacBook projects out itself in the absence of an internet source when using applications such as AirDrop. We are in the same room and there just seems like there has to be a better/faster way than going through the router, since it is so slow it keeps throwing me out of the game. I tried using Hamachi, but I didn't really get anywhere with that. If this is not possible is there any way to just link the computers together with some sort of thunderbolt cable, since there is no ethernet cable and I would like to avoid buying an adapter.

codythekid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Figured it out!

Thanks everyone for your help... ;)

But I figured it out finally. So for future people trying to figure this out:

If you go up to the wifi icon on the menu bar at the top of the screen, one of the two players can make a "ad hoc computer-to-computer network" by clicking "create network."

Then the other person joins that network at the bottom of their list of networks.

Then start up both games and change Network options to LAN.

Finally click find game and click on the persons character.

thomasjcq

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Hello,
I was trying to do the same thing with my girlfriend but it didn't work..
We got 2 macbook, I set up a computer-to-computer network just like you did, then she joins the network and we launch the game through our 2 steam accounts in offline mode.
We both set up the game settings to "LAN" but then we didn't see each other.
I think the problem might come from the "Sharing" settings in "System Preferences".
What are your settings? Did you turn on "File Sharing" or anything else?
Thanks!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello,
I was trying to do the same thing with my girlfriend but it didn't work..
We got 2 macbook, I set up a computer-to-computer network just like you did, then she joins the network and we launch the game through our 2 steam accounts in offline mode.
We both set up the game settings to "LAN" but then we didn't see each other.
I think the problem might come from the "Sharing" settings in "System Preferences".
What are your settings? Did you turn on "File Sharing" or anything else?
Thanks!

Sharing does not matter you just need to be on the same wifi network.

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Well that's weird cause I did the exact same thing than Codythekid and it didn't work... I'll try agin.

If you have a wifi in your house just make sure you are both on the same wifi you only need to use adhoc if you don't have a wifi network to start with.

Good Luck!

Edwin

thomasjcq

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
If you have a wifi in your house just make sure you are both on the same wifi you only need to use adhoc if you don't have a wifi network to start with.
Edwin

The whole point is I don't have any decent wifi at my place, that's why I'm trying to set up the adhoc newtwork...
Otherwise do you know if it could work with an ethernet cable from a macbook to the other?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
The whole point is I don't have any decent wifi at my place, that's why I'm trying to set up the adhoc newtwork...
Otherwise do you know if it could work with an ethernet cable from a macbook to the other?

Ethernet should be fine (as would firewire network cables). I have not tested as I don't own a copy but in theory they all work in the same way.

Edwin

thomasjcq

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Ethernet should be fine (as would firewire network cables). I have not tested as I don't own a copy but in theory they all work in the same way.

I don't have a firewire port on my macbook. If adhoc network still doesn't work I'll try ethernet.
Thanks a lot for these answers !

thecukoosnest

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to do this through Hamachi. It seems like you would need to add a rule to the routing table. Any help would be appreciated.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to do this through Hamachi. It seems like you would need to add a rule to the routing table. Any help would be appreciated.

Or you could, you know, actually buy the game.

There's no reason to use Hamachi unless you pirated it.

-SC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.