Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
The iPhone is designed to be used with one hand. Bigger phones are not. That's the difference. If you're fine with using your phone with two hands from time to time, then the iPhone isn't for you, and you can get a larger phone.

That's what they tell u

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
to be honest i came from a S3, and i thought the screen size would be drastically worse coming from a S3 to a iPhone 5...and it actually blew my expectations away. i love the 4 inch screen and i find it to be quite spacious and just about perfect in my hand

----------

That's what they tell u

what do you mean thats what they tell you.... it is true try holding a GS3 with one hand and do things with one hand it is next to impossible unless you have hot dog fingers, or your a NBA player with gigantic hands

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
to be honest i came from a S3, and i thought the screen size would be drastically worse coming from a S3 to a iPhone 5...and it actually blew my expectations away. i love the 4 inch screen and i find it to be quite spacious and just about perfect in my hand

----------

what do you mean thats what they tell you.... it is true try holding a GS3 with one hand and do things with one hand it is next to impossible unless you have hot dog fingers, or your a NBA player with gigantic hands

I don't understand the one hand thing. Most people have 2 hands. I guess for ME if I only have one hand available I probably shouldn't be surfing on my phone.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I don't understand the one hand thing. Most people have 2 hands. I guess for ME if I only have one hand available I probably shouldn't be surfing on my phone.

because not everyone wants to use 2 hands to use a phone. you don't use two hands to use a computer mouse do you ?

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
yes, and I am larger than average.

Unless you are an NBA player, you are still using two hands many times.

I wear L size gloves, not XL. I am able to use the very top of the iPhone with one hand's thumb on both sides. Oh and I am not an NBA player.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I wear L size gloves, not XL. I am able to use the very top of the iPhone with one hand's thumb on both sides. Oh and I am not an NBA player.

lol - I want smart phone gloves, the touch sensors never work when i have gloves on.

:-( but i guess i live in miami so i don't wear gloves anyway.

But i digress, i have normal sized hands and i can reach everywhere on my screen as well.

All i have to say is i love the 4" screen and basically whoever doesn't like it can go with android or a windows phone, i really don't care. You have options out there so why complain?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
OK, nice logic. You don't use any hands to ride a unicycle. :p
Yeah I need two hands to use my pen, I mean that's why I have 2 right???
Apple should create a pen with twice the ink storage for quadruple the price. Maybe it will be bigger.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I got my Note 2 Thursday and I can't look back to anything smaller. It's a beast but the entire package is well rounded. Trying to kill the battery is a fun exercise that takes almost 22 hours to accomplish with my hard usage.
And to say Android sucks or is crap is just a defensive knee jerk reaction to protect what you have known for years. Don't believe everything you hear or experienced before Ice Cream Sandwich. Jelly Bean with touchwiz takes stock Android to a new level.

I passed on the iPhone 5 because I know Apple is going to keep that 4" display and resolution for at least 2 to 3 years while Android makes 1920x1080p standard across many sizes. The iPhone 5 is still great and has it's place for it's ease of use and size. That's why I bought one for me wife. I need a bigger kick and the Note 2 delivers.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
the more days past, the more i hate my iphone 5.... it's excellent at everything, but when it's used for browsing the web, it just hurts my eyes... i dont wanna switch to android just because android sucks balls...

No, it doesn't. There is no better time than this present moment to switch to Android.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
No, it doesn't. There is no better time than this present moment to switch to Android.

One of the things that drove me nuts while I was an Android user (that doesn't seem to have changed) is that you can buy the latest and greatest phone one day, Google will release an Android update about two months later, and it takes another six months after its released for the update to land on your phone.

I watch the All About Android podcast on TWiT and it seems like most weeks, one of the hosts mentions that they're still waiting to get an Android update on a phone that's only a few weeks/months old.

I realize you can root and ROM to get the update earlier, but it's a shame that Google lets the carriers keep critical OS upgrades out of the hands of customers.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
That's what they tell u

...and I will quote myself:

Forgive me, but you're mistaken. I own an iPhone 5 and have no trouble using it with one hand. I will admit that I have large hands however.

You may want to read ahead a little, a few posts at least, to make sure your issue wasn't already dealt with. Especially issues on the first page...

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
One of the things that drove me nuts while I was an Android user (that doesn't seem to have changed) is that you can buy the latest and greatest phone one day, Google will release an Android update about two months later, and it takes another six months after its released for the update to land on your phone.

I watch the All About Android podcast on TWiT and it seems like most weeks, one of the hosts mentions that they're still waiting to get an Android update on a phone that's only a few weeks/months old.

I realize you can root and ROM to get the update earlier, but it's a shame that Google lets the carriers keep critical OS upgrades out of the hands of customers.

You want innovation to stop for you?

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
You need an ipad or an ipad mini.

The screen from the iphone 5 and 4S is the best out there. There is no better screen that the retina display. No other phone in the market has one like it.

Smithwicks

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
You need an ipad or an ipad mini.

The screen from the iphone 5 and 4S is the best out there. There is no better screen that the retina display. No other phone in the market has one like it.

HTC One X?

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The iPhone is designed to be used with one hand. Bigger phones are not. That's the difference. If you're fine with using your phone with two hands from time to time, then the iPhone isn't for you, and you can get a larger phone.

While I understand, I must that despite having a big hand, i can barely touch the top bar (with the Back or cancel buttons for example) and at the same time be able to push the home button.

I do appreciate the bigger screen but sometimes I feel it's way too tall.
And using an iphone 4 now feels like a miniature iphone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

A legitimate frustration.

However, consider that Android has gotten to a point where it's incredibly stable and effective. Some might argue better than iOS. At this point and time, it's just not that important to have the latest update right away. A few months wait won't suddenly render your phone obsolete or useless.

There's also the Nexus line if updates are utterly important or, as you mentioned, rooting and flashing them yourself (a process that has gotten a lot safer and easier to do lately).

Lastly, iOS may update across generations of iDevices, but often you don't get everything the latest OS offers. In some cases, you don't even get the main feature of said OS update (iPhone 4 and SIRI, Navigation come to mind. These are the two respective main features of iOS 5 and 6 respectively).

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
You want innovation to stop for you?

No, I was saying was that it's unfortunate that Google is beholden to the carriers when it comes to releasing updates for Google's OS. That was one of the biggest annoyances I faced for the year I had an Android phone.

I bought an Android phone on the day it was released to the public. Google released a major OS upgrade within three months of the day I bought the phone. Verizon didn't push the OTA update until six months after Google released the update. Waiting six months for an update to an OS that's evolving so quickly is unacceptable. Google should work to change the process for how their OS is updated on non-Google handsets.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Don't bother, they will say the 14ppi extra makes the magicalagical iPhone 5 the most awesomest screen in the universe.

Its not all about PPI. That is easily seen by comparing iPhone 4 with the iPhone 5 screen. They both have the same PPI but its obvious that the 5 ha a much better screen.

iPhone 5's PPI is not that much better then the SIII but its so easy to see the difference in quality between the 2 screens with the iPhone 5's screen being so much better its on a completely different level.

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Do you guys know how to appreciate the things you have? Apple bumped the screen up to 4" and people are not happy. Even if Apple made it stay at 3.5", people are also not happy.

What the hell do you guys want? Its not like Apple can create the perfect screen size that will please every single individual out there.

So Apple needs to create multiple screen sizes. They did it with the iPad.

PS: Don't say the 4/4S classifies as multiple screen sizes. We all know they're just the old models and are on the way out. They are not still on sale so people can choose a different screen size. They are still on sale because they cater to those who want a cheaper iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.