Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.

Samsung, the only company that could take us back in time 10 years and bring us a stylus and physical contact file transfers (NFC) and get you sheep to think that's cool. I'll use my finger and THE INTERNET thanks.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
While I agree that the HTC One line is underrated compared to Samsung's Galaxy line, you're making a couple of bold claims here.

I'm not sure what you mean by "runs circle around the iPhone 5".

The One X has a worse CPU and GPU, similar screen but with worse colour gamut and no in-cell touch for the "painted on top of glass" illusion. It is bulkier, has worse battery life, worse camera and no 64GB option while also having tasteless Beats by Dr Dre branding, HTC Sense skin that nobody likes, and is late on Android updates (it just got 4.1 while 4.2 has been out for a little while).

You could say that you like its design better or that you like its bigger screen better, but both of those are more subjective, so I don't know why you talk like it's an unquestionable fact that the One X is better. If you want to compare measurable hardware, the iPhone 5 is clearly a higher-end phone than a One X, which is also normal given that it's a newer phone. The rest (OS choice, screen size, aesthetics) is just like, your opinion, man.

Umm the one x has a better color gamut and already had the on top of the screen illusion. The one x plus only comes in 64gb and 4.2 literally just came out and quite frankly manufacturers should hold off on updating to it. Its clearly a test release only for nexus devices, it definitely needs work and should be straightened out in 4.2.2. It adds very few features anyway.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Because while praising the iPhone, they also thrash the competition. Besides this website is called MACrumors not iRumors.

Well, we don't really do computers anymore, you see. We now do telephones.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Why is Samsung on top, other than tons and tons of marketing? Are their phones really the best Android phones out there?

Nope I don't think they're the best. The Note 2 is probably the first one they put out that actually impressed me. The One X is a superior device to the S3 in my opinion and the One X+ even better. HTC's problem I agree is due to a serious lack of marketing compared to Samsung. Maybe that's partially because they simply don't have the capital to invest in advertising that Samsung does.

Another thing that really hurt HTC and helped Samsung and their S3 become the flagship Android device this year is that the S3 was available across all 4 major US carriers with the same exact hardware (like the iPhone does) while HTC restricted their One X line to AT&T. They'll never gain the traction of Samsung by being exclusive.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Samsung, the only company that could take us back in time 10 years and bring us a stylus and physical contact file transfers (NFC) and get you sheep to think that's cool. I'll use my finger and THE INTERNET thanks.

Some people just can't stop hating...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Good for the USA! Now if only Google would support their own American company Motorola instead of giving all of their money to Korea.

This is a little biased. Samsung employs a number of people in the US, especially in Texas.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada

It's not a stylus. The Note has a Wacom digitiser. Anyway, NFC has a better future than Passbook.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple sells 18 different models actually. Go count them. And if you think these 19 are actually all the same phone, do you really think the 10-30 "different" models Sammy sells are actually that much different than each other? Plus, you are assuming all of Samsung's models are selling in equal amounts. Truth is, the bulk of their sales are probably from less than 5 models.

Good point. While Samsung has a dozen models... I would imagine the Galaxy SIII is the overwhelming majority of their sales.

As for Apple... back when the iPhone 4S came out in 2011.... it was estimated that 89% of iPhone sales were the current iPhone 4S.

I would imagine the iPhone 5 commands a similar slice of iPhone sales this time around too.

So... Samsung has 1 or 2 models that make up the bulk of their sales... and Apple's current phone makes up the bulk of their sales.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Umm the one x has a better color gamut and already had the on top of the screen illusion.

No and no.

One X:
saturationCIEonex.png
ColorcheckerCIEonex.png

iPhone 5:
CIEsaturationsiphone5.png
CIEcolorcheckeriphone5.png

And the "Super LCD 2" screen on the HTC One X has the touch sensor on top of the screen on a separate layer, making it thicker than the iPhone 5 which has in-cell touch.

incell2.jpg

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Easy. Apple had no legacy phones to stay backwards compatible with. Now they do, and it shows in their small upgrade steps.

Starting from scratch is the same reason why a company who sold advertising was able to enter a market with just a smartphone and a few years later become the #1 phone OS in the world.

Market timing.

Notice that Apple didn't try selling a smartphone until Samsung and others had spent billions and decades building up the user base and world infrastructure... something that Apple could not have done on their own.

can't be agree more, people not seeing other side of the coin.

Last edited:

cycomiko

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The biggest differences are the touched based OS and the thin and light form factor. Other than that, I guess that they will be pretty much just like the turn-of-the-century Windows tablets.

The biggest difference is you can purchase one for <1000$... something that was not possible in the old windows tablet days.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Android fans are irrational. From this forum here to Youtube to Facebook they go out of their way to attack Apple.

I rarely, if ever, see Apple users respond the way Android "fans" do.

It has more to do with maturity imo. Take it or leave it... that's what I've experienced in my online travels.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This dude above is completely ignorant... You want to see who the king of marketing is? Here.. Educate yourself. Samsung alone spent more on: marketing, advertising and paying people commissions on the street to sell Galaxies, than all other Tech Players combined. The company which spends the least on Adverstising and marketing is Apple. Their products speak for themselves. Apple Spent $1B in Marketing this year.. not much different then last year or the year before. Samsung? $8B!

Educate yourself-->http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

You are incorrect. Samsung spent $4B on advertising in 2012 (source). That's four times more than Apple but then Samsung has at least 20 times more products than Apple.

donileo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
@lilo777 You are incorrect. Samsung has spent about 3B in what they call "Advertising" + another 10B in what they call Marketing Expenses. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354416516.157914.jpg

This picture is a pic from the link I posted before by Horace Deidu an Analyst. Thats 1B by Apple to $13B by Samsung and before you say anything else yes its mostly advertising their cellphone Galaxy line.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
@lilo777 You are incorrect. Samsung has spent about 3B in what they call "Advertising" + another 10B in what they call Marketing Expenses. View attachment 381013

This picture is a pic from the link I posted before by Horace Deidu an Analyst. Thats 1B by Apple to $13B by Samsung and before you say anything else yes its mostly advertising their cellphone Galaxy line.

Even if it 10B number was true (which I doubt), Samsung may be doing a type of marketing that Apple does not. Remember that Samsung sells a lot of staff to other companies - not just consumers (like Apple). This includes Apple. Samsung's revenues are much higher than that of Apple. Perhaps b2b activity requires different kind of marketing - I would not know. But as far as comparable numbers are concerned it ought to be advertising and it's 4 vs 1.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
This dude above is completely ignorant... You want to see who the king of marketing is? Here.. Educate yourself. Samsung alone spent more on: marketing, advertising and paying people commissions on the street to sell Galaxies, than all other Tech Players combined. The company which spends the least on Adverstising and marketing is Apple. Their products speak for themselves. Apple Spent $1B in Marketing this year.. not much different then last year or the year before. Samsung? $8B!

Educate yourself-->http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

Not to mention Korean companies tend to copy other people's design and call it innovations.

----------

It's not a stylus. The Note has a Wacom digitiser. Anyway, NFC has a better future than Passbook.

Future? I have yet to see anyone using NFC at Starbucks or grocery stores. That's why Apple hasn't jump the wagon.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Even if it 10B number was true (which I doubt), Samsung may be doing a type of marketing that Apple does not. Remember that Samsung sells a lot of staff to other companies - not just consumers (like Apple). This includes Apple. Samsung's revenues are much higher than that of Apple. Perhaps b2b activity requires different kind of marketing - I would not know. But as far as comparable numbers are concerned it ought to be advertising and it's 4 vs 1.

Just say the word. Stop twisting it.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
HTC is heavily underrated, their One series phones are amazing, much better than an iphone and yet Samsung is at the top....
'

HTC has issues that nobody talks about because they aren't popular enough to get hits on a tech blog. As for being "much better", please point to why..

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I can see Samsung being N.1, they aso make the best phones, and I can see Apple being number 2 with all their marketing and Iphones that are maybe boring not that bad, but what about LG n.3? I don't know if they make good phones. Haven't seen one yet.

Apple actually spends significantly less than Samsung on marketing efforts. That old myth about how Apple only succeeds because of heavy marketing is demonstrably false. See link below:

http://www.asymco.com/2012/11/29/the-cost-of-selling-galaxies/

Edit: didn't look over the whole thread. Glad to see others pointing this out too. :^)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I think it's more interesting to note why was LG so high up and at #2? Their smartphones are terrible. No where to the level of Sammy, HTC, Moto, Apple.

I agree that LG sucks, and every product I've ever bought or seen that's made by them has been terrible, but HTC is also pretty darn crappy. Apple, Samsung, and Motorola are the best.

LG even managed to screw up on a monitor. I have a 20" LG LCD that works well visually, but it's really ugly and rarely even crashes. Yes, I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to turn on every once in a while. And every time I turn it on it shows how many trees I've saved by using the monitor and some other BS like that.

----------

Good for the USA! Now if only Google would support their own American company Motorola instead of giving all of their money to Korea.

The economy is global. For example, it has been estimated that Honda is more "American" than GM. Apple and others pay taxes in other countries anyway to avoid the stupid US corporate taxes, like Ireland.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Showing that you don't know what the Note stylus is and how the transfer is done and what can be transferred.

Ps, do you also think that AirDrop is physical data transfer?

Perhaps if both of us are together is better to send a huge file over the internet instead of transfer it using Wi-Fi locally

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
If you'd look for what clueless means in the dictionary you'd find ANALYST is a synonym :D

Wat!

----------

You can have and Android smartphone AND Apple products.
Yeah and there are seperate forums and topics for different products so that doesn't explain anything. An android phone owner with a Mac can go to the Mac forums without jumping in iPhone threads it is easy.

----------

Right, because if you prefer an Android phone over an iPhone, you must not own a MacBook or iMac or Apple TV or iPad.

The fact that Android fans visit this site merely supports the notion that it's possible to own both an Apple product and non-Apple product. (gasp, I know)

Still doesn't explain spending most of their time in threads for products they do not own. The people trolling they iphone threads are not then spending 10x that amount of time on the Mac forum.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Good point. While Samsung has a dozen models... I would imagine the Galaxy SIII is the overwhelming majority of their sales.

As for Apple... back when the iPhone 4S came out in 2011.... it was estimated that 89% of iPhone sales were the current iPhone 4S.

I would imagine the iPhone 5 commands a similar slice of iPhone sales this time around too.

So... Samsung has 1 or 2 models that make up the bulk of their sales... and Apple's current phone makes up the bulk of their sales.

Additionally, you have to take into account that the figures used for this comparison were just for Q3.

Logically speaking, sales for Q2 would have been suppressed to a degree with the knowledge of a new iPhone arrival, and boosted in Q3 by it's announcement and delivery. Apple make sure that demand is pent up before releasing a device. LG will no doubt get a Q4 boost from the Nexus 4, and Apple's sales will calm down back to normal levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.