Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Believe the unbelievable!

But seriously, do you think from the responses so far there are enough people who believe in this "bendable iPhone" for me to profit by releasing an app that offers protection, detection, and counter bending measures?

I am thinking of calling the app SitOnIt which offers these services:

1. SitOnIt Prevention: count the number of times one sits on the phone one way versus the other way, and advises how to sit on it next time.

2. SitOnIt IsItBent? : If your phone is bend, or if you think your phone is bend, and you are afraid to ask for fear of being ridiculed like another gentleman who asked that question a while back, this option is for you.

3 SitOnIt OhNo! : Fix a bent iPhone by telling you how long you should sit on a phone a certain way: front pocket, back pocket, jeans, slacks, hiker shorts, etc.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Your post seems to imply that some users are experiencing the issue because their particular units have defective aluminum.

I'd argue that it's either a design issue or not. I can't realistically see how the structural integrity of the phone can be weaker from one unit to another.

This thread also doesn't account for:

1) The fact that this is the type of problem that can develop slowly over time. I.e the bending develops over some months , and so far we are only 2 months in from release.

2) many people have simply not noticed that their phones are slowly developing a bend, as its not the sort of thing that crosses people's mind.

3) there are probably far more people that had the issue then you think, but did not come to macrumors to post about it.

4) some people are rougher on their phone than others simply as a result of different lifestyles. Note that I am not talking about extreme situations like sitting on your phone etc, but people that ride motorcycles, wear tight jeans and keep the phone in a front pocket, those that regularly run up stairs with the phone in their front pocket etc. these people may only be the minority, but still a very significant number of people nevertheless.

My prediction is that given that this is the type of issue that is likely to develop over time and not 1 day of use, we are going to see much higher rate of people complaining as we get further and further from the launch date.

No, my response implied that the OP sat on or otherwise broke his phone and since he cannot convince apple of the rare issue (since almost no one else is experiencing it) he took to the forums to lie it out.

Its not widespread. Therefore the most logical explanation is he broke it through negligence and wants to shift the blame.

Next we'll have "crash gate" when people wreck their cars... "It's a design flaw officer! It shouldn't damage when I run it into a tree! GM made it with faulty steel I tells ya!"

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd be happy with a bent phone than one that's broken in half. Also it would probably allow making calls easier.

I used to own a few older 17" MacBook Pro and the issue was it would bend. The computer was too thin, so after resting you hands on it over weeks and weeks, the middle would sag down. Apple replaced two of my MacBook Pros with this issue, so I imagine they would replace the iPhones with this issue.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This just proves you can't make everyone happy. People are unbelievable. First they complain about the glass cracking on the iPhone 4, now the new one is less prone to it due to the aluminum and now people say it bends. Get a life some of you...:rolleyes:

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I am an engineering professor, and I've really enjoyed this thread because it confirms what I have observed for the past few years: there are many opinionated and ignorant people on the web who confuse being vocal with being right. The laws of physics are real and well-understood and not subject to the whims of opinion.

Fortunately there are a few here with engineering knowledge who are trying to set you straight. But on message boards, ignorant opinions seem to prevail. To put it in language you will understand, this thread is up to your ears in stupid.

An understanding of the basic physics of stress and strain, elastic and plastic deformation, and metal oxide coatings is beyond most of you. The esteemed hypothesizers don't know the difference between weight, force, and stress. My advice is to retake freshman physics (if you made it that far).

On the internet, stupid always wins. Enjoy your so-called proofs and hypotheses - ignorance is bliss.

Now that is an interesting post! It's long, yet it avoids commenting on the subject of the thread except to support a vaguely defined group of people and bash another vaguely defined group of people. It starts with an unverifiable argument from authority, yet it's impossible to determine what you think about the issue. I believe your "professorship" is actually in trolling, because that's all the evidence of your writing supports.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Ok, my phone is bent. Three other people agree with me that the upper left side of the phone is slightly bent back at the volume button. This is completely unacceptable, and "well, did you put it in your jeans pocket" is a thoroughly lame attempt to deny a serious design flaw.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ok, my phone is bent. Three other people agree with me that the upper left side of the phone is slightly bent back at the volume button. This is completely unacceptable, and "well, did you put it in your jeans pocket" is a thoroughly lame attempt to deny a serious design flaw.

Well, how did you bend it then?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know...I bought a clear InCase case and noticed the bend after using that case a few weeks. I"m not really interested in how it bent, it's a $750 phone....it should not bend, period.

Just like a $750 phone should not shatter like the 4/4s? **** happens when you apply outside forces to them. A lot of people have had this issue that used a case. Is yours extremely tight fitting?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Are you sure you know what "analogy" means....I didn't make one.

Ooops. Collateral damage. That was directed at the other guy.

----------

Just like a $750 phone should not shatter like the 4/4s? **** happens when you apply outside forces to them. A lot of people have had this issue that used a case. Is yours extremely tight fitting?

Are you saying the aluminum in the iPhone is so soft that it just bends from a simple case?

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yes, very tight fitting. I got it at THE APPLE STORE in San Diego, so I just assumed it wouldn't bend the phone.

I honestly can't say as I haven't used a case like that in a while. It just happened to be a common theme among those with bent phones. I hope apple takes yours back or maybe you can prove if it was the case somehow that caused, maybe take it up with the case manufacturer.

----------

Ooops. Collateral damage. That was directed at the other guy.

----------

Are you saying the aluminum in the iPhone is so soft that it just bends from a simple case?

If people have to apply enough force to get their phone into a case, pushing on it in a certain way could bend the phone. Yes that is what I'm saying. Too much FORCE may have been applied.

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
I honestly can't say as I haven't used a case like that in a while. It just happened to be a common theme among those with bent phones. I hope apple takes yours back or maybe you can prove if it was the case somehow that caused, maybe take it up with the case manufacturer.

----------

If people have to apply enough force to get their phone into a case, pushing on it in a certain way could bend the phone. Yes that is what I'm saying. Too much FORCE may have been applied.

Right now the plan is to get a Lumia 920 to replace it if I can figure out a way. I can't go two years with a phone that bends from NORMAL use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.